Slaten and Claiborne this afternoon on KFNS

SLUMS81

Kevin Slaten today on his "rant" carried-on about the recent 5 year extension for Brad's contract, saying that he has not been held accountable for the team's lack of appearances in the NCAA tournament. He mentioned that if this years' team had Troy Slaten and Blake Ahearn, they would certainly have a far better record than we have currently.

Claiborne responded that Soderberg is the best, most dedicated SLU coach since Grawer and that Brad has the team and the program moving in the right direction.

Amazing- if we make an occasional two-foot shot per game we have a winning record and no one is discussing Brad's ability to coach or recruit!

Take a step back.....and think...who cares if Slaten rips Soderberg.

1) Brings attention to the program...chirp chirp, lots of crickets when it comes to SLU hoops in town.

2) For the record, again...3 years is not enough Ty Willingham....I mean time, to inherit a bad program and talk NCAA appearences. If Soderberh has none in 5 years...sweat city. But I welcome the criticism of Soderberg, and a little pressure to upgrade more quickly. Why not? It is one thing if the whole town was insane over removing Soderberg. But STL is free pass nation. Should be the free pass state and not the show me state. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much tougher media-wise anywhere else. Nothing wrong with a little criticism of Soderberg.

Slaten, never fails to amaze me people hang on his every word and get riled up at his misinformed banter....maybe I just underestimate his intelligence. Perhaps I should re-evaluate this. He has everybody tuning in...it seems....

But yes I know...STL talk radio is bad. 1380 has no signal if you raise your arm to the left or something...quite frankly 590's signal isn't strong either.

All informed and most uninformed sports fans know Slaten has no clue ... His statement that His kid could change SLU's record is a joke ... his kid couldn't get his shot off in major D1 basketball. Slaten was probably a pretty poor athelete living through the accomplishments of his kid ... problem is his kid isn't any good.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

slaten is guilty of loving his kid. not very credible though. but i cant blame him for that. but to include ahearn in his rant makes him look even dumber.

sports hosts in St. Louis. Even though I've had my battles with Kevin for as long as I remember, I do know that I better be well-prepared when going against him. I really used to like Mike because he knows his pro football and hockey, but I must admit that he appears to be too deferential to Kevin.

I know they're friends, but a little disagreement now and then would do the show some good.

It doesn't matter how prepared you are if you disagree with him, you won't get the chance to say anything. He will just cut you off and yell louder than you. He did it to a caller trying to defend UB. When the caller brought up Troy he said to leave Troy out of it .... though he himself brought Troy into it by stating the Bills would have a better record with Troy and Blake playing for them.

Roy ... you love your son but do you think the University of Texas would be a better team with him on it ... and would you scream it on the air. NO, I'm sure you wouldn't .... the difference is you are not a complete idiot.

I don't think Mike defers to Kevin ... he stated his disagreement over UB and even supported the extension by saying Universities have to extend coach's contracts or it will be used against them on the recruiting trail ... Then Kevin said they should have made it a 3 year extension ... Kevin was uninformed ... all he wanted to do was knock UB and didn't care if he was right or wrong.

Slaten's sole argument against UB is he lied to his son ... but I emailed him and asked him to defend what he claimed with specifics and he just reiterated that he lied. He is bitter because his son didn't get a scholarship to SLU ... Fact is his son is a very average D2 player.

your example is too extreme because my son didnt even play high school basketball after his sophomore year and slu isnt texas. second, one has to admit that troy is a borderline college basketball player. and slu isnt playing very well right now and badly in need of someone to score. guess what, troy is considered a scorer. his drawbacks are a step slow and inbetween size. now if you said would i scream that slu didnt offer my son a baseball scholarship, i have been known to say that actually.

Actually ... I meant baseball ... Did you watch Troy against SLU he isn't even a great D2 player he is average. Slaten was making the same case before we lost a game ... it has nothing to do with our shooting woes ... and anyone with an objective mind and a clue knows Troy Slaten couldn't help SLU ... You don't think Ahearn could and he is 6 times the player Troy Slaten is. UMSL is a million miles from SLU in the basketball world ... yes we are playing badly but there are plenty of Troy Slatens in the world, just most of their dad's arent idiots with a free pass on the airwaves. His claiming Ahearn could help has some merit ... but not Troy.

Did anyone offer your son ... D1 I mean.

i agree with everything you say, but again, i will give slaten a free pass on his troy rant because it is his son and he loves his son and sees more than others do. i am obviously the same way with my kids. and i think most people are. the difference is he has a microphone and the balls to say it. no matter if it is right or not, he can. i dont agree with what he is saying, but i understand it. that is my point. now if he was ranting about some other d-II kid claiming slu should have offered, then i would be more upset. let him go.

On a professional basis, I object to giving him a "free pass." Even as a commentator, he has a duty to separate his personal issues with Brad from his professional opinions on Brad's coaching, ethics, etc.

He could mitigate this by actually stating what the "lies" were. If he'd like to report and analyze, he should do so. If he's unwilling to cite sources and back up his claims, he should shut the hell up about it and show some professional integrity.

well that is a very good point. i never thought of it from that angle. but you are absolutely right, he has to be able to separate the two issues.

if you haven't already that the media in general and the St. Louis media in particular are nothing if they are not front runners. This summer, everyone was singing the praises of Gary Pinkel. The season goes down the tubes, and now he is the butt of jokes in the post-dispatch, KFNS, KMOX, 550 and every other sports outlet in town.

I realize Slaten has his own agenda, but don't be suprised if SLU keeps losing if the rest of the media begins to turn on Brad as well.

Normally, I would take some twisted pleasure from all this, but I have too much respect for Brad to do that.

You are so right about the "frontrunner" mentality. I agree with your observations about Pinkel. I was amazed at how fast he went from savior of the program to bum--similar to some of our posters here who thought we needed to tie up Brad asap and then when we lose a few close games he is a lousy coach. The media is partly to blame because they love to have contraversy and attacks on a losing coach always cause contraversy and news.

while i dont follow college football enough to be very informed, it amazes me that pinkel did not succeed this year. imo, the fact that nash is now gone might be addition by subtraction. so often we never hear the real story about what is going in the lockerrooms and only hear lip service from the coaches that are classy enough to keep it out of the media. the fact that nash was suspended from his "outburst" to the media earlier in the year never made a lot of sense to me. why not just punish the kid in practice or just not use him the next game to teach him a lesson? however, if he was causing more problems that was covered by the team and coach, then does a suspension warrant? also, when there are behind the scenes stuff going on like this that involves one of the "stars", how often does that mess with the team chemistry as players and coaches start picking sides. personally, i am impressed that pinkel has kept a lid on what is obviously an explosive situation as much as he did. and the fact that nash quit on the team before the season was over speaks volumes i bet.

As I said ... I emailed him and asked him just that ... the specifics of why UB was a liar. What hgappenned. He just said he lied to his son and 2 other Stl kids ... he avoided the question.

What I don't understand is he brought his son into it with his statement ... when you try to refute his opinion he tells you to leave his kid out of it.

SORRY .... BUT HIS KID SUCKS !!!! HE IS A MEDIOCRE DIVISION 2 PLAYER AND COULD NOT GET HIS SHOT OFF IN CUSA. HE COULD NO MORE HELP SLU THAN I COULD. DREW DEINER LOOKS LIKE THE QUICKEST PLAYER EVER COMPARED TO TROY.