2006 recruit(Bernie`s Bits)

BLIKNS

According to the Post's high school preview, Bobby Hill is a 6'5" versatile junior who can play guard, forward, and center.

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

>According to the Post's high school preview, Bobby Hill is a

>6'5" versatile junior who can play guard, forward, and

>center.

On the high school level yes, but at the next level he will be a forward. Needs to improve his handles to be a guard, but has a nice left handed stroke. He had a chance to put the game away vs East Side but missed some pressure free throws, but he did make up with the game winning drive to the basket.

I can understand the reasoning behind this offer, if it is really forthcoming. If Brad is really committed to getting easier baskets, he needs guys that can play in transition up and down the roster. Hill is a 6'5 greyhound with a decent shot. Jarod Leonard has better handles and plays better defense. Hill has the better body.

You'll forgive me if I don't exhibit complete trust in Irons' motives or methodology quite yet.

And although Bobby Hill may not have a "direct line," again it may be just me, but I'd think a better procedure might just be Irons and Hill together, to the Billiken media as a whole (such that it is), rather than a leak to a specific journalist.

Indeed, I wasn't implying that SLU could "announce" it. However, I'd submit that SLU, as a party to the agreement, is entitled to request some input into the method of dissemination (not to mention explicit permission in allowing Irons or Hill to say anything at all).

And in this case, apparently, Floyd didn't really "announce" it. He gave it as an exclusive to one reporter, who works for one TV station and one radio station. The reporter's cred, in turn, allowed it to be picked up in the major daily. It'll be interesting to see if it gets reported today or in the near future on, for example, KMOX radio in the normal sports report (or even in today's pre-game on KFNS for us), or on the majority of local stations who rely on rip 'n' read for their sports "reporting," or in next week's American, or on KMOV or KPLR or KTVI (peace, out).

>I hope this isn't Floyd's way of strongarming the offer from

>Coach.

My thought too with Jarod (a wing) in the same class. Hill might be a secondary target? In any event, SLU has traditionally had a derth of wings so I have no problem with us loading up at this position (assuming Coach Irons is correct about the offer) so long as we get the 4 covered (which really has me concerned).

>not sure what you mean by major D-1? ACC, SEC, BIG-10 only?

>

>after watching Hill this summer, and assuming natural

>progression, he would be nice addition to the Billiken

>roster.

I could be wrong, but I figured he would sign with Bradley, SEMO, or Illinois State. He is a good shooter, but I didn't see the all around skills. That is why I said the offer was possibly made with an eye towards the future. Vashon's underclass is loaded. Headed by the Powell kid.

"You do this for my top senior and I will possibly stir better talent in the coming years". I don't see him as being better than anyone in SLU's 2004 Class and the upcoming 2005 Class.(Possible Conversation)

"He is a good shooter, but I didn't see the all around skills."

I think his handle will be improved by this time next year. That's a reasonable risk to take for an athletic 6'5 kid with a deent shot, IMO. Talent evaluation is more art than science. Who woulda thunk that Randall Falker would be outplaying Matt Shaw the first two games of the season? Kids get better.

Who cares how it is announced just as long as it is down without violating any NCAA rules. My guess would be that Brad knows that Irons was going to announce it. At this point in Brad's and Floyd's relationship -both sides need to be careful about respecting each other. Floyd would not want to create problems that would cause any of his players trouble - past or present. Clearly, Irons is disenchanted with Quinn and his handling of Jimmy M. Irons knows how to coach and he won't tolerate anybody who does not know how and clearly, Quinn has shown he is deficient in that area.

I think his handle will be improved by this time next year.

That's a reasonable risk to take for an athletic 6'5 kid

with a decent shot, IMO.

When do you stop signing kids with similar talents?

Talent evaluation is more art than

science. Who woulda thunk that Randall Falker would be

outplaying Matt Shaw the first two games of the season?

Kids get better.

You forget that Falker took a redshirt. This allowed him to develop and get stronger. Now if you are going to redshirt Hill, I could understand. Not to get too overly critical, but outside of Bonner, Vashon's player don't traditionally go on and do great things at the next level. So why take a risk on Hill when you can take a flyer on some big.

We can still take a flyer on some big -- we've got more than one scholarship to offer next year. And outside of Liddell, we don't have any athletic 6'5 guys. Danny Brown is 6'3.

I'd prefer we go after a dead-eye shooter like Dustin Maguire myself if Brad is going to stay with offensive scheme. Of course if we can continue with this offensive scheme we're going to win about 12 games this season so maybe Maguire will opt to go to NCAA-bound SIU instead.

>Who cares how it is announced just as long as it is down without violating any NCAA rules.

Oh, sorry -- for a moment there I thought you were the other curdish one on this board, which would have provided for a moment of higy irony.

I'd suggest that everyone who wants the program to be first class in every aspect should care. Consider a Duke model: Do you figure that Coach K's support staff in his athletic department wouldn't stage-manage every aspect of the announcement of an important recruit?

Hey, but at least we had that nifty Dating Game promotion yesterday, huh?