Eastern Michigan loss--comments

Billikan

This is a game we should have won but for the absolutely terrible play by our experienced guards down the stretch.

Drejaj played tough defense and made some nice passes but he made crucial errors in the crunch. He did hit a 3 pointer to put us up 4 with 2 minutes left but he hurt us with some bad decisions. Reggie repeatedly turned it over and missed open shots. This group really misses the toughness and smart play of Josh Fisher.

Our defense is good enough to win. Our offensive scheme is good enough to get us numerous wide open shots that --other that IO --were missed repeatedly. Ian and Tom had good games, particularly Ian. Newborne was a complete non factor. Those who have said he will be an improvement over Sloan were smoking something.

I am sitll just as big a fan of the Bills now as I was before the season started but this will really be a big mountain to climb for the team over the next month in order to get it back to respectability. I imagine we will have a lot of negativity after this loss.

until I see the team in person. Way to early to draw any indications, but it's not as easy as people think to coach higher-caliber athletes. While Brad's previous system worked with the moderate athleticism that SLU had in the past, there is an adjustment that needs to be made when going to an uptempo pace.

I do know if Brad does revert back to his old ways, then you can forget about Polk being a difference-maker. Polk does not have the game that would be suited to playing a grinded-out style. Let's be patient and see where this team is at around January, before panicking.

AJ, Polk still will be a difference maker, as he has the ball handling skills to play any type of offense. As someone alluded to in a different topic, a good team can win when they score in the 50s, and in the 90s.

It appears that IO is one of the players Brad wants to be a fixture in the lineup, and today he put some good numbers up. If he does this all season, I for one will be surprised. I also want to see them in person before any assessments are tossed about.

Grape Ape, why did you spare the invective from deluging Pretty Q, with two preseason all conference players, the best European PF freshman, the top rated juco guard, and the nation's top scorer from a year before? Q had a team with top ten talent, and achieved jack, but got a free pass from you regarding his on court failure.

Pinkel has the charisma of a bad record, but he suceeds through hard work and effort, a combination not well received in Columbia anymore. The last time we had a season with a freshman PG, other freshmen recieving significant PT, a juco we depended on, and a still developing front court, we went 5-23. We definitely will have growing pains this year, but no one here is advocating throwing Brad away.

Billikan, I suggest that you give VN a couple of games before you give up on his comparison to Sloan. Sloan played with a huge heart and had many good games, a number of average games and a few not so good games.

Just a reminder, in his junior year Sloan had four games were he failed to score, one game were he scored a only single point and three games were he scored only two points. In his senior year, Sloan had three games were he only scored two points.

In the end, VN may not compare to Sloan. Time will tell. Patience.

tseugnekillib, what confuses me about newborne though is the way he has apparently been used at the virgin island games. what happened to using him at the wing primarily and only using him at pf to spell izik? i have doubts he can be as effective at pf as he can be at the wing. why do you think coach soderberg has decided to use him inside and use the three smaller players on the wings and point?

"what happened to using him at the wing primarily and only using him at pf to spell izik?"

Got me. You'd think common sense dictates that you let him play the wing since that's where he played for 25 min a game during the exhibition season.

Everybody has a couple of days on the job. What sucks for a coach is that everyone gets to see it.