Is this the slow but inevitable death of college athletics?

Wendelprof

22 hours ago, JMM28 said:

In my opinion, clean house after this year. Put together a plan that has about a 1.5-1.8 million a year HC salary with a solid assistant pool. Hire a coach that has a proven track record of development. Has to be a sitting head coach or someone who has been a very recent head coach - don't mess around with P5 assistants, former players, or any of that goofy crap. Retain Harriman as the holdover assistant, if necessary (I don't think it is.) The difference in the new salary and old salary gets conveniently diverted to NIL efforts, as I assume some of the larger boosters are funding the 2.4 through the school. Let the new coach come in and help mold that to what fits his recruiting system best. Win championships. 

This. It can and absolutely must be done if SLU intends to remain an actual D1 program. They are still operating in the pre-NIL world. I’m not as down on C May as some but if the Ford contract has the program handcuffed beyond this season he must go also. 

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just saw this great quote from General (retired) Eric Shinseki, (FA Journal, Issue 4, 2022 p. 53).

"If you don't like change,  you're going to like irrelevance even less."

On 11/23/2023 at 1:59 PM, White Pelican said:

I don't know if it's the death and I'm gonna wait, watch and see. But if nothing's done to at least rein things in, I'll probably no longer be interested. College sports started as an extracurricular activity. The tail started wagging the dog long ago, but it's now become pro sports.

That took surprisingly little time to become an organized, alumni-driven enterprise.

But historically, people have been predicting the demise of college sports since as long as have had them.