EA Sports game observations

Billikan

This was a good game for the coaching staff to evaluate the team.

We played terrific defense and the shots they made were generally of the spectacular-- no defense will stop--variety--Price hit at least 4 lengthy jumpshots while on the move!

Our shooting from outside was absolutely terrible. Varner was the only player who could hit anything--he hit three nice outside shots including a three. The team was 2 for 23 from three point land.

We opened the game with energy and ran to a 9-0 lead. They then they some long shots and closed eventually to 12-9. We then took the ball to the basket on numerous occasiions and the opposing center looked like Bill Russell--he must have blocked 6 or 7 shots in a 5 minute span. It was an amasing display. Although we maintained our discipline the shot blocker seemed to change our approach. we then go many wide open looks from 3 point land and missed shot after shot.

Starting with about 5 or 6 minutes to go in the first half the EA team went into the 4 corners and used all of the clock and then heaved up long jumpers--unfortunately several went in- and then they did the same thing for most of the second half. I hope we never play this team again because we don't buy tickets to watch an exhibition team run a stall offense most of the game. The only thing I could figure is that the team had been blown out several times--although they did beat Ohio State and St. John's-- and once they got the lead the coach decided to take the air out of the ball and hope to stay close--a good strategy if this was a key game in conference, etc. but it realy hacked me off.

Slaon had a fantastic game on both ends. He rebounded like a demon and took the ball to the basket and pump faked the big shot blocker several times and then scored and drew the foul. He had several nice steals and was great, as always, on help defense. Fischer also had a nice game and he had two fantastic spinning drives for layups in the first half. Varner played well and really stood his ground in the middle when Tom was on the bench. He has a beautiful shooting touch--the potential game tying 3 pointer was right on but just short.

JJ got a few minutes in the first half and played well. He had a nice steal and a nice jumper from the baseline against the zone. IO, on the other hand, did not start, did not show up to play and looked lost out there. He tried to dribble thru traffic and put up a variety of shots--three or four were blocked and the others missed. He was 0-7 from the field. Worse than that, his defense was not good from a fundamental basis and the coach was on him for that. I still have hopes for IO but he need to play stronger and defend better if he wants to get quality playing time.

Clarke played big minutes and he seemed confident. His defense seemed strong. He missed another 3 long three point shots and clanked in two free throws. Let's hope he can start to hit shots when the games count. Also, I do not believe he turned the ball over. As a matter of fact, it seemed to me that we had many fewer turnovers in this game.

Fericks is a warrior. He got his shot blocked numerous times early but he must have listened to the coaches because late in the game he made 2 nice shots with head and shoulder fakes on the big shot blocker. He is as intense as sloan--he seemed to have a cold or maybe his bask was bothering him but it looked like it was hard for him to run. Bryant played a few minutes in the first half and he looked fine and then he hit the pine for the duration. Obviously, Brad wants to see how his early team will look. Let's hope we can survive the first three games without Bryant--he is clearly our best pure shooter and offensive player. Ian did not play--no eligibility til January.

Overall, it was a tough game to watch because of our very poor shooting. If we had shot the ball well I think we would have won by 20--and those were wide open shots. Let's hope they fall when the games count. Our defense is good enough to beat almost anybody.

I don't fault Drejaj.

We played Hot potato with the ball for awhile. Izik wouldn't take a shot if the big guy was within 20 feet of him. Varner refuses to shoot inside of 18 feet no matter how open he is. Sloan is really never going to look for his shot and can't get one driving. Fisher should have tried to get his shot a little more. Drejaj had no choice, no one else would shoot several times SLU nearly passed the entire 24 second clock away turning down shot after shot.

After reading all these reports (thank you VERY much, btw), it seems the consensus is that JJ came in, hustled, played D, and showed some good athleticism. So, can somebody tell me why his minutes were so limited? I would think that we would need him to contribute as much as possible in these first few games. If he's putting in the effort, why isn't he getting the PT?

This is his first season playing NCAA basketball. We have seen from the past that merely sitting out a year does not mean that the player has one year of experience. To the contrary, over the years it has taken every player many games of actual competition to adapt and get up to speed after sitting out.

JJ got himself so far in the coach's dog house that he was not even allowed to dress for the first exhibition game. My sense of it is that JJ has merely been paroled from the dog house and, as a dog house parolee, he is not yet entitled to serious minutes under Brad's system of rewards and punishments related to player performance in practice (which could include offcourt problems).

It's a shame as it would be very nice to work JJ into the rotation at the 4 spot to reduce Ross Varner's minutes until Ian becomes eligible after serving his 10 game suspension. We could really use JJ's athleticism and nice mid-range jumper on the court so I for one am hopeful he is able to work his way in Brad's good graces.

p.s. As another "JJ" I have to stick up for my boy.