New season--new ridiculous behavior!

Billikan

As you all may remember when we were discussing the Tommie L. issues, many of us said that we need to cut him some slack becuse he is very young and has not had much experience in dealing with the outside influences that permeate modern college basketball. Since then all things have been quiet and we all hope that Tommie joins us next year.

Just so we all understand the view of some young men today--and I do not in any way suggest that Tommie has this attitude--I would refer you to the comments of Rashad McCants--the star guard for North Carolina, the young man who has a scholarship to a prestigious university, the young man who has been given everything that almost every young person in America could want.

What does he say? He compared his situation as a basketball player to a person in prison! He says he is serving his sentence and doing his time. What a joke! Obviously, even the slightest suggestion that this young man is subject to any rules whatsoever makes him feel like he is in jail. If I were the coach I would get in a car and take him to the local state prison and put him in a cell and close the doors and ask him if he were forced to stay in that little cell all day and night except for meals and a few hours working in the prison if that would be the same as living on a beautiful campus in a nice dorm with excellent help and a fantastic beautiful locker room and wonderful place to play. Some of today's kids--particularly some of the so called superstars in high school--are so spoiled that they don't even understand the wonderful opportunities that they are offered as part of the college scholarship. What a mess we have made of college sports. This is all the result of $$$$$TV$$$$$--in my opinion.

i hadnt seen that quote. if i was roy williams i would show his a$$ the door. gratitude. i dont blame tv, i blame parents and previous role models that have let him take these selfish warped views.

well stated Billikan-the attitude that always gets me also is the guy that makes the three pointer or the big dunk and than pounds his chest as he runs down the court like he is god almighty. I have yet to see this same player hold up a sign that says I such a schmuck when he blows the dunk or air balls the 3.

The McCants family is from Asheville. About 2 years ago, my job had assigned me as a loaned executive to the Asheville-Buncombe County United Way. It was when Rashad was entering his freshman year. During that United Way season, Rashad's dad volunteered (his job didn't force him like mine did) to assist the United Way campaign. Rashad's dad did this by doing the volunteer work during the day and continue doing his regular job during the night shift. I never met Rashad but I can say that I got to know the father very well and is a super nice guy. Spent many hours shooting the bull about basketball. One thing he had Rashad do for me was to get an autograph team picture of that years Tarheel Team for my son. That picture is framed in my son's bedroom.

Also, the daughter is excellent basketball player. I believe she ended up at UNC.

So that's a prime example......of what i was saying with Liddell. Many think it's the parents, that the parents magically have this control over their children. All parents can do is raise their children to the best of their abilites, but children grow up, they take on many different attitudes. If it's a bad attitude or decision, it's not the parents fault, his the child's fault. We make excuses when we advert ownership of a problem to other people and not the person. Mccants family can only guide him, but ultimately, it's his words, his mouth, we can't always say that his parents didn't do a good job.

That's the same thing I said about Liddell, some said his parents should this or that, he's grown, his parents can't make him do anything.

Your post proves that, Mccants father sounds like an honorable, hardworking man, certainly would have instilled in his son that it takes hardwork to get reward. He cannot be held responsible for his sons actions once his son is of age.

To let you all know once again. That is why we don't recruit players like that. We don't want that type. We want the guys that will be here for 4 years. Adam Morrison's sister posts on our site all the time because even though she never attended GU, she knows we are family. That is how you become one of the top programs in the country.