SLU is 7th seed

kwyjibo

Even with SLU's tough non-conference schedule it comes down to the fact you play the majority of your games in conference and the top ACC teams are the top computer ranked teams. If you look at the computer ranking I posted earlier the final seeds are nearly identical to the computer. Soccer appears to rely even more on computer indexes than basketball.

Sadly, this will get worse with the A-10. The A-10 has no permanent rep (but will get one on a rotational basis once in a while) on selections committees (unlike C-USA) and their conference is currently even weaker than the C-USA which will hurt RPIs.

It does look tough ... but I hate to say this we are over ranked at 3. I'm not sure this isn't correct. A more decisive CUSA final win over an average Charlotte team would have helped. Either way you have to beat the best to be the best.

If we are complaining about not being a higher seed ... we shouldn't have any problem winning until Maryland in the elite 8. I think we will be fine.

I haven't seen Maryland play yet but Courtside has and says they are big and good.

Best of luck Bills.

No ... I'm a basketball fan also ... my point was simply as stated ...if getting the 7th seed in the NCAA tourney is a waste of emotion and time ... then how should we feel after a typical Billiken basketball season.

Rich ... you really should get a life ... if you have nothing better to do then knock the soccer posts you obviously don't care about.

Not only that ... if we were going to start a basketball against soccer thread ... why don't we make it a Billiken Bball against Billiken Soccer thread.

I don't understand why you continually knock a sport that the school you support has the most success in.

C-USA not strong, true.

Washington is solid, off to bad start, better late, but should not, repeat not beat SLU at SLU.

Maryland...fine, if it has to be. They are very good. Could it be yet another quarterfinal or round 16 loss? hope not. Would be nice if Maryland got upset.

East Coast nation.

Don't mind the draw too much. IU gets UCLA if they make it. You would like quarterfinal at home. Frankly I didn't think SLU was going to final four this year pre-season. They sure could now, or lose early too. Talent to win, but you club, nothing would surprise me.

Look at the conference ratings C-USA is ranked 8th (FYI, A-10 is 14th!!!!) and you will understand why SLU is a 7th seed. But, they have to win the games on the field.

I hope SLU can beat FDU/Binghamton winner because I do like SLU's shot at home versus a very good Washington. Washington has a really good defender that is going to be in Saudi Arabia at the FIFA U20's (Haas or Klaas or something like that) so that should help.

Maryland in the quarterfinals is the real screw job. They are a good team but mostly I am personally screwed by this match up. I had a free hotel room in Columbus if Maryland made it--although I was only going to go if SLU made it as well. Now, if it comes to that match up I may be going down to College Park.

College Soccer Rating 2003

Rank Conf

1 Pac 10

2 WCCF

3 ACC

4 Big 10

5 Big West

6 Big East

7 Missouri Valley

8 CUSA

9 Ivy

10 Mtn Pacific

11 CAA

12 Southern

13 Atlantic

14 Atlantic 10

15 Horizon

16 America East

17 Mid-Continent

18 Patriot

19 Mid-American

20 Big South

21 Atlantic Sun

22 Indep

23 Northeast

24 Metro Atlantic

I'll answer that one....

1) two tough non-conference games were very early, and both ties, IU and ND....no wins...good results, but no wins.

2) Finished 6th in weak conference...barely because of ties etc...but they did.

3) needed strong finish in conference tourney, and got waxed. Momentum and how you are playing late helps.