http://www.uhnd.com/board/forum.cgi?message&196870

The Majority

it is disappointing to realize that i wasted about a minute of my life watching a leprechan doing gay pushups on top of male cheerleaders.

Now, now kids...can't we just get along? You haven't lived until you've been a part of a program like ND & ND Football. None the less the last 10 years have not been pretty.(Bob Davey sucked) Having been at the ND/Mich game last week it was wonderful to again hear the "awakening" of the echos.

My computer would not allow me to play the link but then I didn't need the link for me to remember that season!

I played on the 1973 championship team. Other than the usual bad feelings when it concerns U of Miami I hold no such grudge with any other school, even Southern Cal or Boston College! I understand why most competitor schools hate ND...its part of the territory. My question is why does SLU alumni spew so much venom when it concerns ND? Has anyone ever been to and experienced the campus and atmosphere at ND? Its very special.

SLU & ND does not compete in football. Other than last year, when has SLU played ND...in anything? I sure I've missed alot but please lets get a life! I notice that SLU has the same feelings about other Cathloic shools such as Marquett. Does SLU have the same ill feeling towards Gonzaga? How about Dayton or Boston College?

God only knows that ND basketball has reserrected itself since Matt Doherty came to ND.

I found myself in a strange situation with my son playing against ND last year. Make no mistake I hoped & prayed that he would have a good showing in that game and that SLU would beat ND in that game!

As I tell my all all of my kids who play college sports,and wife... be true to your school!

Bonwich the elder is a Domer '48 and taught there from about '55-'57 and '59-'65 -- and my mom is a SMC chick -- which means, for better or for worse, that I was born there. (I'm probably one of five or fewer people alive today who can claim to have played catch with Irish f.b. coach Hugh Devore. You thought the Davey years were dismal?) Two uncles and several cousins are also grads.

I had some schizophrenia issues with the SLU-ND b.b. games of the '70s -- and I thought the NIT scheduling last year was utterly fraudulent -- but other than that, I have no problems screaming at the TV screen every Saturday in fall but still getting equally exercised at Savvis throughout the winter.

You actually played on the '73 team? Waycool. What brings you to the Billikens?

>Bonwich the elder is a Domer '48 and taught there from about

>'55-'57 and '59-'65 -- and my mom is a SMC chick -- which

>means, for better or for worse, that I was born there. (I'm

>probably one of five or fewer people alive today who can

>claim to have played catch with Irish f.b. coach Hugh

>Devore. You thought the Davey years were dismal?) Two uncles

>and several cousins are also grads.

>

>I had some schizophrenia issues with the SLU-ND b.b. games

>of the '70s -- and I thought the NIT scheduling last year

>was utterly fraudulent -- but other than that, I have no

>problems screaming at the TV screen every Saturday in fall

>but still getting equally exercised at Savvis throughout the

>winter.

>

>You actually played on the '73 team? Waycool. What brings

>you to the Billikens?

My son the center for slu!

I personally have nothing against Notre Dame. In fact, they are my favorite college football team, though its been rough over the past few years. I might be the only person in America whose two favorite teams are Notre Dame and Michigan, and if Michigan had won convincingly last Saturday I might have been so frustrated with the Irish that Michigan would have taken over the top spot in my heart. However, the echoes woke up and I saw what I consider the first good game offensively for the Irish in a few years. It was beautiful and I hope that they can keep it going.

As far as the people who hate ND, the idea I get from them for the most part is that they hate the "we're domers, so we're better than you" attitude. They see Notre Dame as a haven for arrogance.

Mr. Frericks, a lot of Catholics were Irish and poor, and some of the local ND alumni were none too kind when you mentioned you would be attending some lesser Catholic college. Even in Peoria, parents of ND students often developed a very pronounced air of superiority that their son (or daughter, by my time) was attending ND. The comment I often heard was an "OH, poor you, too bad you weren't accepted at ND like Timmy" type deal. Great Gandpa hated ND, Grandpa did as well, Dad couldn't stand them, and I'm a chip off the old block.

The recent Marquette students seem to have a faint whiff of this superiority, but I LOVE Marquette from Al's glory days, and I'll always grant Marquette a sizable pass for that.

BTW, Grandpa was a Boilermaker, so hating ND was a college trait. I can remember him saying he was happy Dad married Mom because Dad knew where ND stood...

Back in the day, Notre Dame was an outstanding example of great education and sports, but I'll never be able to overcome my childhood training from two generations.

I don't hate ND but I cannot say that I root for them in any sport...never have and never will. I spent an afternoon in South Bend in 1978 watching Mizzou (back in those days I did have season tix for Mizzou football) beat the defending National Champ Irish 3-0. ND had Joe Montana and Jerome Heavens while Mizzou had Phil Bradley and Kellen Winslow. It was hotter than Hades that day and several folks were overcome by the heat. I have a cool picture of a buddy and me on the field after the game with the final score behind us.