stadium

The Majority

father biondi told us at an alumni lucheon the day my son went to slu last month that notre dame is the richest catholic school in the nation with a fund balance approaching like $2 billion dollars! boston college and slu are the 2nd and 3rd ranked funds and bc has a little less than 1 billion and slu has like 600 million. i.e. notre dame has WAY more.

father biondi said it was not a matter of bad investments, just the same drop in the stock market that everyone else lost out on after 9/11.

but I think SLU had/has one of the highest % of its endowment in equities which has had a bad run since the middle of 99. Of course, this high % is partly responsible for the increase of the endowment during the bubble of the mid/late 90's. Basically, its a very risky endowment.

mcglother irwin said, "it seems that slu lost significantly more than its peers."

maybe, or maybe bc has just raised more in recent years too. i dont have the year by year numbers and that is the way i took it from father biondi at that alumni luncheon.

btw, i have always wondered, how in the world can you immortalize the likes of irwin? the loser just walked off the floor? one of the most disgusting scenarios in billiken history.

SLU definitely lost more than its peers, and losses began well in advance of 9-11.

At -6.8%, SLU's endowment was one of the biggest losers between 2002 and 2003. http://www.nacubo.org/documents/research/F...ingForPress.pdf

At -15.5%, SLU's endowment was the biggest loser between 2001 and 2002. http://www.nacubo.org/documents/research/F...l%20Listing.pdf

I don't have the statistics for the changes between 1998 and 2001, but it is my understanding that those years were even worse.

You are right about the endowment returns being awful in late 90s. It's unbelievable, particularly considering that Rex Sinquefield at DFA, a SLU alum, practically invented index investing. No joke. If memory serves correct, I think he helped manage Stanford's edowment at one time. Also, didn't we receive Tenent stock in the sale of the hospital? That would, in part, explain the dreadful returns.

Roy, I believe he immortalizes McGlother because he *IS* McGlother, if memory serves. While that act was one of the most immature acts I have seen in atheletic competion, his mea culpa and sincere apology also was one of the more classy followups I have seen. McGlother just had the misfortune of doing a very embarrassing act in public, while most of us praise the Lord ours was more private.

I can't stress enough that we got a real winner in Cheryl, and that the overall atheletic department will benefit from her stewardship!