Tommie Liddell Link

of course as of yesterday, tommie was officially a free agent again. should be an interesting 2-3 months for the young man as he will likely see it all now.

I think it is interesting and a positive sign that we haven't heard from anyone close to TL for 3-4 weeks. Perhaps, just perhaps, Soderberg's planned conversation with the family was positive. And perhaps, one of the things they agreed to was staying off of the Billiken board. I'll let the coaching staff handle TL's recruitment from here on out!

our coaches always tell us that they dont look at websites. besides, if my memory serves me correctly, we indirectly let the coaching staff know that the unlv tomfoolery was going on. had it not been for the internet and the boards, who knows how deep tommie might have gotten in rebel goo. our coaches knew nothing when stu contacted brad for comment. and we let stu know that we had read the report on insiders.com.

I am with roy on this. Make noise when you need to. I talked to one of the coaches hear at ualr the other day and the beat (sp?) writer. The coach did not read the boards but the new paper guy did and took what was on the board to the coaches for questions and made stories out of them.

By the way we have a contract with siu that ualr should sign this week for siu to come to little rock and us to go there next year. That is a big deal for my new little school.

I know I am cutting and pasting some of the details below but as I read it, if you fit the definition of an athletics representative (and I am sure many of us do), then don't encourage him to come to SLU.

Five Rules Of Thumb For Friends Of SLU Athletics:

(5) As an athletics representative...you simply cannot encourage a prospect's participation in a specific institution's athletics program or provide benefits to student-athletes that you were not providing before they became prospects or enrolled student-athletes.

a reminder to all, as of monday morning, tommie became a "recruitable athlete" again. i.e. slu no longer has any rank and priviledges towards tommie. we have to go through the entire recruiting process again with tommie and the last thing we need is to get in brad's way at this point because of some technicality.

he already has done that. a verbal committment can be given at anytime. for example, my 8th grade daughter has already verbally committed to slu, but that doesnt mean she has to follow through on that in 5 years. a verbal committment doesnt mean anything, it is just a "tell the world your intentions" statement that normally let's an opposing college coach to not waste their time. most coaches will have the respect of the other to not cross that imaginary line. however in recent years, more and more coaches have begun to indeed cross that line. last year, huggins took a point guard verbally committed to baylor out from under scott drew's nose. day of signing, baylor is waiting for their letter and bam, it hits the internet that he signed with cincy. the point is, until november officially puts it in writing, he is open game regardless of his current verbal intentions. and if the likes of lon kruger will cross over an in writing signing like he did this summer, what respect will the sharks show to tommie's verbal this fall? tommie has to stand up and say "sorry, going to be a billiken". otherwise, if he listens they can talk.

Also keep in mind the following regarding boosters:

Five Rules Of Thumb For Friends Of SLU Athletics:

2) A prospect remains a prospect even after signing a National Letter of Intent or financial aid agreement to attend the University. The prospect's status does not change until initial full-time enrollment at the University or until the prospect begins official team practice immediately prior to the start of classes.

In other words, the same rules for boosters apply to a recruit until the student enrolls in school.