Major Development in Men’s college soccer

8 minutes ago, Glorydays2013 said:

With the MLS expanding and getting more international, I don't think US soccers best young talent will be going to college anymore. Much better to go abroad and focus on soccer and maybe come back to the MLS later once the money starts pouring in. No more Jordan Morris's, and probably no more Robby Kristos

Sargent turns 18 in week or 2 and is about to sign a multi million dollar deal with Werder. College soccer will be in a slump for sometime until they become more of a developmental academy rather than just a university's D1 team

You just put Jordan Morris and Kristo in the same sentence. 😱

4 hours ago, William Iken said:

Soccer is a marathon. It becomes a frantic, headless chicken sprint with subs. Less tactical, and strategic, in a lot of ways. Like the DH in baseball. Just changes it. There is something beautiful to seeing one team slowly wear down the opponent to the point of breaking, and it's not seen in the US college game because of the subs. Can switch formations, players, etc too much. Call me a purist.

or a sadist. Maybe hockey should try such a "tradition".

On February 12, 2018 at 8:27 AM, William Iken said:

I agree with the first few points, but then you had to ruin the post by switching topics to MLS and calling it T&T's "C" team... I don't think you can blame MLS - better quality now than in the past, esp given the US team in the past few WCs was also based on domestic players. And to be clear, I am not even American, do not like the US national team, and therefore have no vested interest in defending the US team. But the leap from college subs to MLS/US WC failings is too great.

Hate to disagree with you but I looked up the information.

in 2010 there were 17 foreign based players, 4 MLS players, 2 players based in Liga MX in Mexico.

In 2014 there were 13 foreign based players, 9 MLS players, 2 players who played in LIGA MX in Mexico.

In 2017 on the last match day in Trinidad & Tobago there were 17 players who played in MLS, 4 players who were foreign based, 2 players who played in Liga MX.

By foreign based players I mean players who played in Europe.

So your statement that the past few WC's the USMNT was based on domestic players is not true.The numbers just don't reflect that.

Robbie Kristo is in the Third Division in Germany (his career is going nowhere). How is he equivalent to Jordan Morris again?

10 hours ago, Tilkowsky said:

Hate to disagree with you but I looked up the information.

in 2010 there were 17 foreign based players, 4 MLS players, 2 players based in Liga MX in Mexico.

In 2014 there were 13 foreign based players, 9 MLS players, 2 players who played in LIGA MX in Mexico.

In 2017 on the last match day in Trinidad & Tobago there were 17 players who played in MLS, 4 players who were foreign based, 2 players who played in Liga MX.

By foreign based players I mean players who played in Europe.

So your statement that the past few WC's the USMNT was based on domestic players is not true.The numbers just don't reflect that.

Robbie Kristo is in the Third Division in Germany (his career is going nowhere). How is he equivalent to Jordan Morris again?

Well I'd have to ask which matches you are using for 2010 and 2014 - or are you comparing all players used in the campaign vs one match in the 2018 qualifications? I don't the latter, since it's only 23 players. So have you cherry picked a single match from 2010 and 2014 to compare with the 2017 match. And I agree, that roster was odd.

On 2/13/2018 at 12:23 AM, Glorydays2013 said:

With the MLS expanding and getting more international, I don't think US soccers best young talent will be going to college anymore. Much better to go abroad and focus on soccer and maybe come back to the MLS later once the money starts pouring in. No more Jordan Morris's, and probably no more Robby Kristos

Sargent turns 18 in week or 2 and is about to sign a multi million dollar deal with Werder. College soccer will be in a slump for sometime until they become more of a developmental academy rather than just a university's D1 team

It hasn't for some years. Just look at the "success" rate of the draft. It's terrible. The top talent come up through the academies now. Sure, every draft will have some gems but overall the talent level is poor and even top 10 selections are marginal prospects.

Glorydays2013 likes this

13 hours ago, William Iken said:

Well I'd have to ask which matches you are using for 2010 and 2014 - or are you comparing all players used in the campaign vs one match in the 2018 qualifications? I don't the latter, since it's only 23 players. So have you cherry picked a single match from 2010 and 2014 to compare with the 2017 match. And I agree, that roster was odd.

I used the Final roster for 2010 and 2014. So the team and players that actually went to South Africa and Brazil.

Obviously I couldn't do that for 2018 because the US did not qualify. I picked the final game of Qualifying because that is as close to a Final roster as I could get to. It was also the most important game of Qualifying.

I didn't pick the final game of Qualifying in 2010 and 2014 because both cycles by the last game the US had already qualified. So the roster more than likely didn't resemble the best players since qualification was already assured.

billikenfan05 - the basketball team seems adept at the activity you mentioned.