Billiken beer get together

I think some time during the season we should have a Billiken/Beer get together. Everyone could bring a different beer ... but not be allowed to drink what they bring. That way we all try everyone else's favorites.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

hey, i didnt make the rules.

;-)

besides, we need something to guage the "bottom" of the scale to.

I guess I should have started it on the main board ... Thicks ... you're there regardless ... but the rootbeer can't be run of the mill ... something out of the ordinary.

Roy ... as the long time Braves fan that I know you are ... you should be aspiring to find a beer that is almost the best ... ;)

Can this be moved to the main board?

If you are looking for root beer there is one out of Milwaukee called Sprecher that is by far the best root beer around (no disprespect to Fitz's). It's made with honey and vanilla - awesome stuff. I've seen in available at World Market in Brentwood but otherwise they don't ship it ouside a 150 mile radius.

fyi, the braves are again in first place and i am sure the cardinals want nothing to do with the jones boys.

Anyone bringing Griesedieck Malt Liquor?

http://www.negativland.com/listenhere/grieseml.gif

Check out this "throwback ad":

http://www.negativland.com/listenhere/advert.html

I have been meaning to post this as I figured St. Louis oldtimers would appreciate it. FYI, Griesedieck Malt Liquor was before my time at SLU as Falstaff was waning then.

i know, and that is what makes it fun. :-)

if the braves dont win it, i will be 167% behind rolen and his cardinals. scott rolen is one tough sob. he is the walking example of what athletes should be.

I agree with you on Rolen ...

Cards-Braves matchups should be good as both teams have 3 starters that have been pitching very well of late. Williams, Marquis, and Carpenter all have era's under 3.0 for their last 3 starts. Williams and Marquis for their last 4 or 5. I know I read where Atlanta's top 3 had an era under 2.0 for the last 30 days or so.

The Cards though have consistently beat the leagues best starters this year. One reason is the bullpen. How is Atlanta's bullpen ... I haven't paid much attention?

no of course not. my point was that smoltz has turned into at worst the second best closer in the game and that alone makes the braves bullpen better. if the braves have a "glaring" bullpen weakness, it is the fact that they have no other lefties in the pen to speak of except smoltz. their main set up guys are kevin grybeski and chris reitsman. plus they bring along old sixz finger alfonseco, who can still throw it hard, and juan cruz, the cub reject.

their starting staff really reminds me of the cardinals from the surprise element. the expectations were that the team would go as far as mike hampton could take them (i.e. the braves matt morris) well jarret wright has been fantastic as of late, and john thompson as well. plus russ ortiz is having another good season. now paul byrd is back as well. thus, my point is, the cardinals have an overall pitching advantage with ray king and steve kline, but imo, smoltz puts the braves pitching staff ahead.

I agree Smoltz is a step ahead of Izzy. But games are 9 innings not just the 9th inning. I would rank the staffs close to even as I think the starting staffs are as you said very similar and I would say probably even. I don't know for sure but I would assume your starters avg 6 to 6 2'3 innings. That leaves over an inning between the starters leaving and the closer. I don't think anyone in baseball is better set for that inning or so than the Cards.

So here is my assesment

Starters - even

Mid relief - Stl

Closer - Atl.

Offense - Stl

Defense - Stl

Managers - even

Now that I have decided we are the better team. Maybe the braves just want to forfeit the remainder of the games against the Cards

i will concede the overall offense of the cardinals is better. especially if walker is ok. but dont ever count me in the larussa camp. and you have the managers even. cox while he has only won the whole thing once, has gotten the braves into the world series many times in his stint as the manager. and while i am not naive enough to believe it wasnt influenced by having an excellent team, he still was able to make it with his excellent team. larussa hasnt done that with this cardinal team yet and the only world series win was with the best team oakland might have ever had.

I am not a LaRussa fan either ... but I think he has done a good job this year and is changing to more of a Natl league style manager.

But on the subject of their successes

How many World Series victories does Cox have? How many appearences?

How many World Series Wins does LaRussa have? How many appearences?

Cox has had arguably the best team in the Natl many more than 3 times ... how come ony 3 appearances out of what 12 - 13 years.

How come only 1 Series win?

If you are ever going to talk about a manager not getting the best results out of a team ... Cox has to be the leader in the history of baseball.