Rebounding

Recent SLU centers who got minutes as a freshman.....

Loe 3.5 rpg

Remekun 1.8

Thompson 2.5

Ian 1.5

Heinrich 3.0

I agree that those were all freshman centers. Please name the 6'10 kid in the bunch who jumps like Matt Baniak and already had a year of prep school.

We finally get a tall white kid who can jump and he still gets treated like a project. This is the A-10 people. If you're 6'10 225 lb and you can jump, you're going to do fine on the boards as a freshman.

If 3.5-4 rpg is "way too high expectations" then I stand guilty as charged.

You gave the impression you were expecting more with how you reacted to a guy that averaged 3.5 and a guy that averaged 3. If that is what you are expecting out of Neufeld, we aren't that far off. I expect him to average about 3-3.5. That said, part of the reason for the higher number of rebounds than Manning will be do to him playing considerably more minutes.

Sure Brianstl, then the question is why did Manning not play more minutes? My uninformed answer to that question is the following: Manning really could not be trusted to be a positive contributor. Had he been able to contribute he would have played more minutes. Same thing applies to Neufeld, if he played the same number of minutes as Manning and Manning contributed an average of 3.0 with Neufeld contributing 3.5 you could say there is not big difference between the two and leave it at that. However, if Neufeld manages to be better than manning, contributes in a positive way, and has the potential of making a larger contribution than Manning, then Neufeld will play more minutes than Manning did. If Neufeld plays more minutes than Manning did, the whole point is moot. Whoever is better will play more and contribute more. We still have to see what happens.

You're totally right. Why on earth would I compare a graduating 6'11" center with an incoming 6'11" center? What was I thinking with such an outrageous comparison?!

Do you already know how many minutes Neufeld will play this season? Do you know what type of player he'll be? Do you know the degree to which he'll pan out? Why are you so confident he'll outpace Manning immediately by every measure? What are you basing this on? Could you outline the differences between the two since you feel my comparison is so ridiculous?

My point - yet again - is that we're replacing an outgoing senior center with an incoming freshman. It would be unfair to expect a significant increase in production from Manning to Neufeld this season. Yet again, I think Neufeld will be a better player. Yet again, bigs take time to develop. Yet again, I'm aware of Manning's numbers (and the rest of our numbers; did you seriously link our statistics page from ESPN? Do you think I don't know how to find basketball statistics on the internet?). Yet again, if we're going to see much of an increase in rebounding, most of it's going to come from individual improvement from our returning players.

We don't have a ton of information, video, scouting reports, etc. on Neufeld and yet people seem to think he's going to be the next great big right out of the gate. There just aren't many instant-impact freshman bigs out there. I hope people can recalibrate their expectations for a freshman big accordingly.

Pistol.

Zink in post #11 was looking for stats -- hence the link I posted for him and others. Am glad you also found it useful.

And now, yet again, you are making a huge stretch: Manning and Neufeld will be, in your words, "a wash". As the others have responded to your comments, I also sure hope not and do not think so. Instead, I am expecting alot more from Neufeld. Not only does he have size and athletic abilities that have been more rare at SLU but he also is already a year post-high school and has been been able to mature, develop and add weight, etc. Frankly, for this same reason I expected more from Jolly. As for this year, I am optimistic as to Neufeld and yes, we will soon find out. Can a freshman big do better than 1.9 rebounds per game? Can he play 20 minutes per game? Can he score more than a bucket or 2 per game? I sure think so, hope so and expect the same.

Jolly? We're talking about Jolly here? If Jolly gets more than scrub minutes we're in big do do. As for rebounding, I remember reading the article after the first game of the Bahama Mama Classic. We got outrebounded by a team of undersized cabana boys and fishing guides. That does not bode well if you're expecting this team to move the arrow on their board stats. Sadly, the days of writing "Defense and Rebounding" on the white board are now just a pleasant memory.