Wichita St Trip Report

SLU_Nick

With help from the open bar at the pre-game alumni reception, this game was really a great time considering the final score. All top shelf liquor available for free with the bartenders reminding me with every drink, "remember you can take 2 drinks up to your seats when you leave" or "do you want to do shots". Billikenfan05 was there leading the effort on shots for those curious. No Zimas in sight.

Chris May then came over and talked for a bit....Main takeaway was that "We will never go to the Valley". I think he is getting tired of fielding Big East questions as he bristled a bit when I asked him for millionth time. But definitely an A+ on the pre-game reception.

Onto the game. So in my experience, the visiting team normally gets a handful of tickets behind the Billiken bench. Welp. Not this time. They put us upper bowl corner. As soon as I walked in, I could definitely feel a blowout coming on. The WSU fans were fanatic (but not hostile or anything). I overheard a 10 year old girl saying that if Tekele Cotton doesn't get in foul trouble we will never lose. Whoa...ok....So the Billikids were basically squaring off against the entire city of Wichita. The atmosphere was as electric as any arena that I've been too. I sat with the 30 or so Billiken fans in attendance and we were all pretty much resigned to our fate from the opening tip. It is a funny thing not having any expectation at all to even compete. Onto the game (keeping in mind that I am upper tier corner).

The Wichita st fans have a tradition where they stand until the OTHER team scores. I think they didn't sit down until 15 min mark in the 2nd half. Brutal.

Everything regarding the actual game play has been covered. But I would just emphasize my agreement that Ash and the sophomores have been giant disappointments.

Agree, the intrust arena was a great atmosphere. The WSU fans I went with were disappointed that the game wasn't at Koch Arena, though--I think they are pretty proud of it. My impression is that it is pretty similar to the fetz so I hope the game is there in '16, although that might make tickets a little harder to get/more expensive. I think my ticket was like 13 bucks.

I was up in section 207 and was yelling and adamantly cheering for the bills and thought I was going to get murdered by some of the fans, but what do you expect, I guess... There was not a lot of blue in my section. One older gentleman sitting in front of me did shake my hand at the end of the game; I told him thanks for putting up with me, and he said he respects any fan that can hold their own in such a hostile environment.

Agree, the intrust arena was a great atmosphere. The WSU fans I went with were disappointed that the game wasn't at Koch Arena, though--I think they are pretty proud of it. My impression is that it is pretty similar to the fetz so I hope the game is there in '16, although that might make tickets a little harder to get/more expensive. I think my ticket was like 13 bucks.

I was up in section 207 and was yelling and adamantly cheering for the bills and thought I was going to get murdered by some of the fans, but what do you expect, I guess... There was not a lot of blue in my section. One older gentleman sitting in front of me did shake my hand at the end of the game; I told him thanks for putting up with me, and he said he respects any fan that can hold their own in such a hostile environment.

Detroit > St. Louis

I'm sorry, you must have your f05 confused with some other imposter f05. Ours, the real Zach deal, is the model of gentlemanly decorum and refined grace under fire. His knowledge of the game transcends everyone around him and likely applies to the fools in striped shirts to whom I am sure he was gently correcting when opportunity struck.