SEMO changing their name

This isn't earth shattering, but I thought some people might find it interesting that SEMO will no longer be known as the Indians, as per the AP wire. After being known as the Indians for over 80 years they will now be known as the Redhawks starting in the spring semester of 2005. I guess Marquette's not the only school that was forced to change. Too bad the schools never change to good names. It seems they always change to some odd colored bird, ala Golden Eagles and Redhawks. I wonder how long until Florida State has to change?

"Praises we sing, to you our alma mater,

Praise to the white and blue.

Our hymn shall ring, in tribute strong to you,

We hail Saint Louis U."

Official Billikens.com sponsor of Andrew Latimer

...that there was a concerted effort down there some 15-20 years ago to change the acronym for the university to SEMSU, because they felt that SEMO didn't recognize its status as a "University." (No doubt they subsequently would have had to change it back so as not to offend those of Japanese heritage.)

Thanks for that link. I attended SEMO from SLUH, and am happy with my educational experience there. The card games, parties, pool rooms, and taverns also helped prepare me for a career as a street wise financial professional.;-)

Washington's Redskins take a beating on a yearly basis as well. Just depends what th epolitically-correct issue du jour is. I will admit that if a realm of classiness does apply, DC's logo is much less offensive than Injun' Joe up on the North Coast. But that won't buy you much.

Around here, I find it funny ..... Maryland, now. Everytime we have a new school open or a new rec team form, we've got Jaguars, Bobcats, Ravens, Ironbirds, Bayhawks, Terrapins, Muddogs, Shorebirds, and other animals ... real or imagined ..... because I guess they can't sue and fight back. I especially like some of the local Oriole affiliates around here ..... they are the Baysox (what the h*ll is that???) in Bowie, Md; the Keys in Frederick, Md. (home of Francis Scott KEY, the writer of the Star Spandlged Banner for the flag at Ft. McHenry in Baltimore's harbor); and the Hagerstown (Md.) Suns. I guess a celestial body can't claim legal rights as well. Think PETA ever gets involved?

Wilmington (Del.) has a minor league baseball team called the Blue Rocks. Isn't that the brand name for the round clay pigeons made for ***** shooting? then again, I've always wondered what a Philadelphis Phillie is? Isn't that a cigar?

given its the Fourth weekend, I jsut want to thank all those people that make Freedom (and boards like these) ring! Be safe ... wouldn't want to miss these impending exciting times!