Soccer America Names Ibisevic National Freshman of the

http://conferenceusa.com/sports/msoccer/re...RELEASE_ID=6242

I know this is a basketball message board, however, I'm interested to know if anyone has seen Ibisevic and Will John play much last year. I'm living in LA and wasn't able to go to any matches. Can someone give me the lowdown on these guys. That's a pretty impressive honor.

Vedad or "V" was simply awesome last year. He's got the whole package physically and technically to be a great player for SLU for the years to come, as long as he doesn't check out early to the MLS. His main issue is holding on to the ball too long when he tries to beat three defenders. He's played just two games with the St. Louis PDL team this spring and already has six goals. I can't wait to see this kid out on the pitch this fall.

Will John was great last year too. He's a little soft and doesn't like to tangle much, but he's has tremendous ball skills and patience with the ball. Add to that a pretty good left foot. Will played with the U-20's this past spring and had a couple goals and assists.

Ibisevic was on the junior national team in Bosnia before he came to the states.

Ibisevic and John are both extremely good players but the midfielder from SLUH who was on the U-18 team is probably better than both of them. SLU's team is stacked, we should be able to contend for final fours for the next 3 years with this group.

I am happy for Vedad ... but this award shows how little most of the people who cast the votes or decide on these awards actually see them play. The best freshman on the Bills by a considerable margin is Johnny D. Vedad has a lot of upside obviously... and putting the ball in the back of the net is clearly very important ... but there were many times when Vedad was a negative on the field. He often let his emotions get the better of his play ... and is still learning when to hold and when to push forward.

Because his numbers don't stand out as much John D has not gotten as much recognition ... but it is a team game.

I saw probably 6-8 games this year and if I had to rank the big 4 freshmen ... I would put them like this

1. John D.

2. Vedad

2 1/2. Brian D

4. Will J.

Sluballs ... and any one else who has seen them play alot ... what are your thoughts?

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

Vedad last year was strictly a finisher. I am not a soccer fanatic so I would copare him to an ealy Brett Hull. Scored goals but did nothing else and even got in the way sometimes.

DiRaimondo is the best of the soon to be sophomores. He may not have the best numbers though. By the end of the year John D was involved in every big play SLU made.

"V" is very dangerous inside or near the penalty area...One defender cannot stop him, sometimes it takes 3 defenders...We haven't had someone that dangerous in a while...He reminds me of some of the top scorers we have seen from the very best teams we have played i.e. UCLA,Indiana, and some of the East Coast teams.

Torch you are right on about John D ... but Vedad was much more than just a finisher ... he created many of his opportunities on his own and to me a finisher is usually someone who just put the ball in the net. His weakness is that sometimes he would try to take on 3 defenders at one time and miss better opportunities elsewhere. He also let the opposition goad him into losing control of his emotions. They are both great players ... I actually think Vedad has the most potential as he has tremendous size and strength. As he gets better in the air ... he and John D will be a very dangerous combination. John D doesnt have great speed or size ... in fact a very average body ... but a great work rate and as I have said before ... his accuracy on set plays is amazing ... as good as I have ever seen.

I am also a big fan of Brian G. He has fantastic composure on the ball and very good field vision. Obviously I am not the coach and I am sure Coach D sees something that I have missed ... but IMO he would be my starting midfielder. My only concern is I think he needs to work on the delivery of his passes ... but when the ball is at his feet he has the knack of knowing exactly when to push, maintain or lay it off ... he really has a great feel for the game.

In my lineup Will would be playing upfront alongside Vedad ... he is so quick and dynamic in the open field and with the crowd Vedad draws he would be the perfect guy to lay off to. He also has good vision ... but seems to be a bit soft on a lot of his passes. He is a suprisingly good finisher. ... At midfield where he usually plays ... he seems to get closed off ... his small size also makes it easy to push him off the ball. I spoke with coach D about Will a little and he agrees in part ... but thinks that his creativity outweighs his lack of strength and that is why he plays him at midfielder generally.

It is amazing that we have 4 freshman of this caliber ... all 4 of them could have easily been on anyones all american freshman team. John D and Brian G played for the USA U17 team.

two cents for what it's worth...not much:

Vedad is a victim of his own talent and ability. His ball skills are superior to most, but his attitude is not. I will disappointed if his attitude isn't improved this season by a lot. Vedad hadn't played a lot of team ball in the states before SLU and he possessed an unacceptable temper. His game has improved which is a plus because it was already elite. If his attitude is better he will be really worth the $5 to see him play. He is that talented. But all of the above mentioned do different things well, and therefore are tough to compare. Vedad is a superior finisher, has good size, is tough, and top level skill. He needs 90 minute fitness level for major D-1, and to stop whining, and share the ball. He has vicious mean streak. His teammates even yelled at him at times, not good Personally I think he will be fine.

If Will John can hold the ball a little better physically, he can move up into Vedad's class. he doesn't need much space, can finish, and terrific passer. Very good speed, weakness is strength which should come in time and experience. Waiting to be special is how I see him...sooner than later. Needs to not disappear as much in games. Expecting big things from him this year as 1-2 with Vedad.

John D is a force on the right side midfield, and has bullseye dart like service. Exceptional on free kicks, can run all day. Very intelligent player.

Grazier, solid in defensive midfield, quiet player. Really would like to see him shut down some people even more this year. Will start and finish every game.

Those 4 are national level elite frosh last season. There were and are a lot of other good young less heralded SLU players too.

SLU brings in a Clemson transfer defender, an all-state all-american defender frosh from CBC, and a junior national team trainee via Wisconsin next fall...to a team that was 23 of 27 frosh and sophs that was final 8. Loaded is an understatement. High pressure and expectations, best on field talent since early 90's for SLU.

I am just awaiting the schedule.can UCLA and all the big boys are loaded too next season, but as I say most years...if SLU can earn 3 home games onward to final four, they are as good as anybody to win or lose from there.

Just to let you guys know, there's a great soccer site to talk about St. Louis soccer. www.stlsoccer.net. Lots of good info about everything related to St. Louis soccer.

Anyway, regarding Vedad's temper, I have played many a pick-up game with the local eastern European contingent we have here in St. Louis. All I can say is the bitching is non-stop on the field with them. It really is annoying to deal with so I can understand why teammates of Vedad would get frustrated and irritated by his temper-tantrums on the field. I realy hope he's matured in this area but I'm not completely hopeful because it seems like its a cultural thing that may take some work to get passed. But do I think he will jeopardize the success of the team? I don't think so because his talent more than outweighs any attitude problems...well, as along as his talent has figured out how to lay off some passes.

I hope this year we utilize Johnny D more often than we did last year. It was frustrating to watch Johnny make a superb run off the ball, only to turn and see that no pass was coming.

A lot of people think our defense will be a question mark this year. I tend to disagree though. People forget that the younger guys (Benne, Guffey, Spiess) got a lot of time on defense last year because we had to deal with injuries to Gannon and Wickart. Bringing in Tim Ward (U-17 Nat) and the senior from Clemson in combination with a senior net minder, will help solidfy the defense back there. I have no doubt they can handle whatever is thrown at them.

SLUFANSKIP, on your question about who else showed some talent last year out of the freshman, I would have to put Benne out there. While he's not the fastest back, he has a pretty good left-foot delivery and played very physical. He was a wall on the left side.

Sluballs ... I like Mo alot also ... I also Like Casey Speiss. I expected more from Peplinski but injuries and the rest of the talent hurt him a little. I was looking for your ranking of the top 4 ... not the rest of the freshmen ... but I'm always interested in your opinion anyway.

I wouldn't mind going to watch them play ... but it is hard to find the time. Since opening my new lot in Feb ... it has been 10-11 hour days ... 6 days a week ... now I realize I am getting old ... at 42 I don't have the energy level I used to ... it's kind of telling me I need to get back in shape before I get too old.

Let me know when you are going ... I'm not sure if I can make any games ... but I would like to and will try to if at all possible. Thanks for the links.

Courtside ... appreciate your input. We need to get a few of us together at the games this year.

I talked with Greg Vitello, DeSmet's coach this past season,(I am a former player there, and friend of the program), and Vito told me Casey Spiess was all set to attend Quincy and last minute Donnigan came in and gave him a shot. I for one think it is a pretty solid take on Donnigan's part. From Quincy to SLU and didn't miss a beat, solid, DeSmet style non-flashy player. A pretty god bargain find.

As I said previously I know SLU has SMU in early Sept at home for a tourney,...and SMU will be tough this year. Awaiting the schedule. I travel a lot for work but make many games, including a few roadies.

Vito LaFata is a long time friend of mine(owner of Vito's across the street), and I stop in for pizza and budweisers before games. Maybe Momma LaFata can whip up some off menu stuff for a group. That would be nice.

As for Vedad's temper comment...I have played with a lot of Serbian teams, and it is delicate with them and Croatians, when playing, and Vedad is Bosnian, so I am very familiar with the different ethniciteies...I am very opposed to stereotyping because I have some good friends whom I have played with that are very opposite and mild mannered of similar descent.He just has a temper and happens to be who he is and from where he is from. Not all Irishmen and Mexicans have the stereotypical ehtnic temper of their descent, and others do...It is up to Vedad to mature and overcome his temper. Being in the system for a while, I have high hopes. Why not. I think he will be okay.

Not trying to be stereotypical either but while I have not played soccer with any Bosnians I have played bball with several players from greece, the old yugoslavia and others in that area. Trash talking is like breathing to them, they are constantly vocal on the court and don't understand americans who compared to them are pretty much silent. It is more of a cultural thing and is really no big deal to them. To be honest I don't think american players in any sport show enough emotion. We are taught "good sportsmanship" which doesn't allow for any emotional outbursts. For me sportsmanship is for before and after the game, anything goes on the court of play.

I don't think I'm stereotyping in anyway. This just been my experience in playing many games with them. The same thing was going on at Forest Park during the CYC adult season and during the local indoor season at the SoccerDome. Was it all of them? No of course not but as its more common than not to have an American hold his tongue on the field, it's more common than not to have very vocal players among the eastern european group. Just the way its played. Some are turned off by it and others aren't. Vedad will be fine though because if he doesn't shape it up , I have a feeling Dongian will sit him to send a message. That's all I'm gonna say....back to soccer....

SLUFANSKIP, top 4:

Johnny D

Vedad

Will

Hutton

I almost want to throw in Wileman just because of his outright hustle on the field.

Anything goes on the court of play? I disagree ... a little smack talk between players is one thing ... but what is acceptable now ... is ridiculous. In the early to mid eighties I used to officiate a lot of games ... mostly small college. Some of the BS was beginning to get out of hand then and is so much worse now. Too much bitching to the ref ... constantly delaying the game ... by pushing the ball away after a penalty, standing over it until your team is set, and the worst of all ... the 5 minute rolling in pain on the field after being nicked or not touched at all. IMO the excessiveness of these things is hurting the game. About 4 years ago I wanted to start officiating again at the HS level ... after watching a few games I knew I couldn't do it. I wouldn't put up with it ... and you cannot be as different from the other refs as I would have been so I chose not to do it.

Go watch a few rugby games ... you will see tough players and an incredible respect for the game. I played with an army team in Germany from 86-88 and the level of sportsmanship is incredible ... it can get rough and dirty in the scrum ... but that is an accepted part of the game. Nothing like what would now be considered gamesmanship. I hope it is still that way ... I used to go to forest park to watch ... but I haven't been in a few years. If you've never been ... go you will enjoy it.

Hutton ... he wasn't a freshman. I will say though that he did not play up to my expectations last year ... not that he wasn't good ... he was, but I expected him to be close to All American caliber. Some one last year didn't agree with me ( courtside I think ) and it looked as if they were right. Now this year my expectations for him will be a little lower ... and hopefully he will prove me wrong again. I thought he let in a few easy ones and didn't make the big stop as often as I thought he would.

I am surprised you left Brian G off of your list ... I really like him a lot. It seems we all agree that John D is the best of the bunch right now ... but the most potential belongs to Vedad.

Have you seen Tim Ward ... I have not. How big is he and if you have seen him how good is he? Is he mostly a defensive defender or does he have skill with the ball at his feet. How fast?

Sorry, I was naming who I thought the top four on the current team were. Grazier would definetly be among the top 4 of freshman. He's gotten bigger too from what I saw of him in one of the spring games.

From what I've read, people are expecting Hutton to be the top goalie this year. He's got the the skills but we'll have to see if he meets expectations. Last year, he did get hurt...his ankle or something. I remember a game where he stopped taking the goal kicks because of the injury.

You are right ... he did get hurt. He just didn't make the game saving stops I thought he was capable of. Hopefully this year he will take the next step from good to elite.