Observations for the new year!

Billikan

For those of you who missed the game last night that is a shame because the first half was possibly the best all around defense and offense performance I have ever seen from a Billikens team in terms of execution of the game plan and the crowd was really fired up. The only issue was that we missed a lot of open shots.

In terms of the coaching staff I have to give them huge props for a great game plan and the fact that the team was really ready to go from the first minute. Some on this board have been very brutal in their criticism of coach Crews but he lead the team to a very masterful victory. I am lucky enough to have seats close to the floor and had close seats in Columbus for the Memphis game. In the first half the look in the eyes of the NM players looked just like the Memphis stars-- disbelief when they learned that even if they executed their best quick athletic move they were not open. Our guards were magnificent in terms of on ball AND help defense but the best job of all was done by DE. We can talk about Josh Fisher and Kevin Lisch but no one ever did a better job one one one with a big athletic guard than DE last night. He was stuck like glue going over screens and controlling his hard drives to the basket. He also blocked an outside jump shot! One of his most athletic plays was to soar high to block the shot of the 7 foot center when he was called for a charge. Cory R was also great and had three impressive blocks. In terms of our execution of the schemes established by the coaches and individual effort by the players this was the best defense I here ever seen in a half of a Billiken game, particularly against an athletic top 20 ranked team.

On offense, we created constant open shots in the first half but we did not hit a lot of open shots. We made mostly lay ups or inside shots. If we had hit even half of the open outside shots we would have be up by 30-35 at half.

Part of the problem on offense is the fact that KM is still very rusty. The fact that we won big with him really playing wel below his true ability on offense is a remarkable and encouraging development he will sharpen up and make those open shots an lay ups.

Overall, considering all of the adversity and injuries and the passing of our HOF head coach, I am very impressed with the way this team and the coaches have come together. We are a tough out for any team in our league. But many teams in the A10 are playing very well. We need to win that home game against Butler to keep up the profile of a truly good team that can beat ranked teams. This still has the potential to be a great season. JJ is becoming a great passer and MM is becoming a great defender. JB is a valuable guy off the bench and Cody is playing tough. RL has developed and played well yesterday against a huge center. If he can just shoot better he will be a dangerous weapon. His passing from the high post is excellent as well. DE is a stud defender and rebounder and he can score in bunches when he is really on. CR is a perfect example of the need to be patient with big guys because they often develop more slowly. With John Manning improving and recovering from his illness he will be a valuable big guy off the bench.

Happy New Year to all Billiken fans!

Good post, Billikan. I'll offer my mea culpas for passing judgement on JC. Still, the proof's in the recruiting as well as game prep and making adjustments. I would agree with Taj, however, that he does seem to have an aversion to timeouts. Maybe we just got used to RM using up his quota in most games and using them at the first signs of some sort of breakdown.

Part of the problem on offense is the fact that KM is still very rusty. The fact that we won big with him really playing wel below his true ability on offense is a remarkable and encouraging development he will sharpen up and make those open shots an lay ups.

KM is probably not up to his typical mid-season form, but last night he had several good shots that were "in and out". I think those shots fall and our perception of KM's performance changes not to mention it gives KM more confidence.

Either way, I agree with you about the team and their future.

The only better half I have ever seen in my 35+ years was last year's first half against Washington. That first half last night was a beautiful thing to watch.

Still, staying close to the course, not too high, not too low. While I expected to win last night, I won't ewvewn suggest it was going to be that easy. The second half left a lot to be desired, but we weathered their five-minute storm and won going away. KM is rusty --- that'll change. JMhas been MIA last two games --- that'll change. JB can contribute some valuable minutes. CR is much better than the last three years combined.

The season looks bright. However, every team in the A10 has a winning record right now but three. The conference looks cutthroat. Going to be a great yearonce the OOC is over.

Im kind of glad they were off from the three point line.

It shows me they can beat a good team while still having an off night.

Anybody can beat a top 20 team when they go 15-20 from 3 but when your shot isnt falling and you still whip a team its a good sign.

I counted our strength this year as the three. Loe. Ellis. McCall. Mitchell. Barnett. We haven't lit it up from there yet at all.Short of McCall's 25-for-50, 50%, our gunners are lacking. CE 36%. JJ 36%. RL 25% and JB 33%. The fact that JJ is shooting the same poercentage as CE is concerning; ofg course JJ's only attempted 11 whereas CE's launched 68 attempts.

What has worked for me over this run is the intensity of the defense we are playing. That's what's won games and lessened our focus on our shooting woes.

I counted our strength this year as the three. Loe. Ellis. McCall. Mitchell. Barnett. We haven't lit it up from there yet at all.Short of McCall's 25-for-50, 50%, our gunners are lacking. CE 36%. JJ 36%. RL 25% and JB 33%. The fact that JJ is shooting the same poercentage as CE is concerning; ofg course JJ's only attempted 11 whereas CE's launched 68 attempts.

What has worked for me over this run is the intensity of the defense we are playing. That's what's won games and lessened our focus on our shooting woes.

Overall, we seem to be increasing our intensity on defense and our discipline on running the offense over the past four games which makes us much harder to play against even if we are not hitting our 3 point shots. I hope and pray that our shooting improves when we get in conference against the best teams because if it does we will be extremely hard to beat. The future looks bright but the truth is that good shooting can make a team look great and bad shooting can hold back a good team from being great.

Km getting back into shape will help the percentages. CE tends to be streaky w/ his 3s, ie he'll go 5 for 6 then 1 for 7. RL's the mystery so far. JB, I cringe when he pops from the baseline. That's got to be hardest 3 to shoot and where he shoots the bulk of his. JJ, never figured him for much from the 3, so anything's a plus 36% is quite good for him. MM's just got to shoot it more from there. He's been a beast.

JB has been hellova alot better from D then I would ever expect. and I agree with KM, had he played a extra 30 minutes before this NM game, he wouldnt have missed those two lay ups, and would have hit that mid range floater and atleast one 3. come jan10 he will have his touch back.