OT: Ferry new Duquesne coach

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/7798543/duquesne-dukes-name-jim-ferry-new-head-coach

The Dukes hired LIU Brooklyn's coach Jim Ferry to replace Everhart. Not a bad hire in my opinion, as Ferry got his team to two straight tourneys out of the NEC. I am pretty sure what cooked Everhart was when McConnell decided he was going to transfer. He was the centerpiece of that team and a prize recruit for Everhart, and without him, it was apparent that Duquesne was going to be terrible next season.

-could work out for them, and i don't know if this is the case, but i am suspect of the coach that goes to the tourney based on one recruiting class or group of good players and then moves to the next level with no real history of success, seems there are quite a few that have done this and failed, but then others with some extended runs have failed when moving up as well

-i don't blame the coach in these situations as they are going for the money, i blame the ad falling in love with the flavor of the day

My parents are from the Pittsburgh area and I have a lot cousins that attended Duquesne so I kind follow them with some interest.

I don't know what happened between him an McConnell but prior to Everhart the Dukes have been totally awful for about 30 years. Since Norm Nixon days. They had this revolving door off coaches and most years plus 300 rpi (worse then Fordham). I didn't think he was that bad and brought them to a level of respectability. I don't know, Ferry seems to be just a clone of Everhart, Everhart had some success at Northeastern, Ferry had some success at LIU.

For the sake of A10, I hope they will find some success with him.

Let's face it .... with 345 Division 1 college bastball teams, tons of programs will always be mediocre. Sadly, I think the A10 wil always have teams like La Salle, the Bonnies, Fordham, Duquesne and George Washington mired in the mediocre range at best. Will they ever rise above that range on rare occassions? Sure. GeeDub did it just a few short years ago with Pops-Mensah-Bonsu. The Bonnies made the Dance this year with rare recruit Andrew Nicholson. Will they ever sustain it? I seriously doubt it.

Will we sustain it? Ah, there's the rub. I would expect Xavier and Dayton and Temple to stay at the above average range. I would expect Charlotte and St. Joe's and Rhode Island and Umass and Richmond to have better chances at getting there than the earlier mentioned five teams.

Duquesne? Dog meat.

Don't want to be the one sticking up for the Brownie Girls, but the Bonnies have been to the NCAA Tournament the same amount of time this past century as the Billikens. Strange thing is that every year we have made the tournament they have, too.