RM article in the Oregonian

And you would cheat to win? We definitely don't need fans/boosters with that mentality

C'mon - you're preaching about a hypothtical, pretend meeting in the future?

Watch out, your high horse is about to get run over by the bandwagon full of SLU fans of this year's team who aren't concerned about fake future recruiting violations that won't happen. Come on board if you like. We're having a good time!

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't need fans who want to win? I think a lot of people are disqualified then.

No we all want win you are the only one here advocating you don't care if conklin would illegally talk to a recruit after he graduates to enabble the billikens gain a recruiting advantage.

C'mon - you're preaching about a hypothtical, pretend meeting in the future?

Watch out, your high horse is about to get run over by the bandwagon full of SLU fans of this year's team who aren't concerned about fake future recruiting violations that won't happen. Come on board if you like. We're having a good time!

So you are also advocating cheating? Wow.

Yes it is a hypothetical, but that was the point of the discussion.

Mb, go reread the thread, post 8, tarheel lays out a hypothetical scenario where down the road after graduating conklin would assist with recruiting a player.

In post 11 showthebill correctly states that is a recruiting violation. Only the coaching staff can talk to recruits like that. Conklin in that hypothetical situation as an alumnus be considered a booster and is prohibited from assisting in recruiting.

Busted stated he didn't care he just wants to win. Majic apparently feels the same way.

I want to win, but not by cheating. Why should I stop that path of discussion? I am amazed more aren't with me and want to always win by following the rules. This amazes me. Now that we are having a wonderful season now ethics go out the window? What is going on?

I want to win, but not by cheating. Why should I stop that path of discussion? I am amazed more aren't with me and want to always win by following the rules. This amazes me. Now that we are having a wonderful season now ethics go out the window? What is going on?

Agreed, roy. The whole "win even if it means cheating" attitude is ridiculous. If RM has shown anything at all, it is that we can win (and build a solid program in the process) without going down the UK path.

I'm with you, even if it is a hypothetical, why the need to encourage cheating?

Mb, go reread the thread, post 8, tarheel lays out a hypothetical scenario where down the road after graduating conklin would assist with recruiting a player.

In post 11 showthebill correctly states that is a recruiting violation. Only the coaching staff can talk to recruits like that. Conklin in that hypothetical situation as an alumnus be considered a booster and is prohibited from assisting in recruiting.

Busted stated he didn't care he just wants to win. Majic apparently feels the same way.

This was a freaking awesome article and shows a lot of positive things about Majerus...not to mention his enthusiasm about the program. Instead, you chose to comment on a 100% hypothetical violation that will most likely never happen....I think that is what MB is referring to.

I want SLU to be successful to the highest level possible but not cheat. There are some teams that I watch that turn my stomach because I know how those teams are assembled and that many of these players are not college students. We should be the darlings of ethical college basketball fans because we don't cheat and our kids have to do their school work and they are successful on the court. I am not in favor of any cheating.

Roy, I fully believe you don't want the Bills to win. Every time anyone talks about winning, you talk about ethics. When people quit caring how we're winning and just notice the fact that we are things will get better. But those national championships at UNLV and Kentucky must suck.

Roy, I fully believe you don't want the Bills to win. When people quit caring how we're winning and just notice the fact that we are things will get better. But those national championships at UNLV and Kentucky must suck.

Your position on this is a joke, right? And you really think that Roy doesn't want the Bills to win?

Agree with Nash though, it would be nice to just focus on the good article. Even for the hardest anti-RM person, it would be hard not to like what RM did.

Roy, I fully believe you don't want the Bills to win. Every time anyone talks about winning, you talk about ethics. When people quit caring how we're winning and just notice the fact that we are things will get better.

Well you believe wrong.

. I think now you are trying to deflect the post you made in reponse to showthebill in this thread "and I should care because why?" Which indicates to me you want to win anyway.

Busted, Broy's right about cheating to win. We'll get caught and bad things will happen. I don't think RM cheats. I don't think BC will contact Mr. Super Oregon in the future saying, "hey, they got new Escalade in the parking lot with your name on it." That will never happen at SLU. Neither will RM ever land a one and doner. It's not his style. In fact, I think RM likes taking it to biggies with no names who stick it out. That's the point Broy's never got about him. He's been upset ever since RM basically canned all of UB's recruits because he knew he could never win with those guys. But to Broy's way of thinking that was evil. We should have honored our commitment and let guys like KM, MM, BC, CE, et al go elsewhere why we tolerated guys like DM, the other Mitchell, Knollmeyer et al. And after they were done, ie 4 years, RM could have a free hand to build his team. I honestly don't believe Broy wants a loser at SLU, he just wants a truly honorable program. Tough to do these days.

I wish Roy would just be happy. On that note - I don't really think Majerus needs to cheat to win. Hurray!

And for the record I agree. Rickma is not a cheater and is a winner and as I have always said a good coach.

72, Roy, and Moytoy (and countless others)

I'm going to put this position out there. I'm tired of business as usual. Rick Majerus has won everywhere he's went without doing anything illegal. But to condemn everyone who puts winning first is wrong as well. This year is great...what we want to have (and no allegations of wrongdoing). I just don't think the violation in this case is all that big a deal. I want titles and long March/April runs here. 2012 is the start of that.

I'm going to put this position out there. I'm tired of business as usual. Rick Majerus has won everywhere he's went without doing anything illegal. But to condemn everyone who puts winning first is wrong as well. This year is great...what we want to have (and no allegations of wrongdoing). I just don't think the violation in this case is all that big a deal. I want titles and long March/April runs here. 2012 is the start of that.

I've seen your position countless times; I think it is ridiculous each time i see it. And to be clear, i'm talking about your position on cheating/other questionable tactics to win at all costs. I'm not condemning those who want to win (who doesn't want to win?). I'm condemning you for advocating cheating, if necessary.

slu72, i have always been consistent. i have always given him credit for being a good basketball guy. i have given him credit for the concessions he got for the program from administration that no other coach at slu before him ever came close to approaching. i have bigtime issues with him as a person and the way he handles things non basketball. if that is what you and others choose to remember so beit.

busted, sorry, you are busted. you advocate a violation. bottom line. that's cheating. doesnt matter how small you think it is. you asked why you should care i told you. it is cheating. saint louis university doesnt cheat.

Look, BD, no one wants that more than any of us on here. You're relatively new. A lot of us have been here for more than 10 years. Broy, longer than most. A lot longer. We've suffered thru all the disappointing seasons. And most of us support RM. RM is a winner and a hell of a coach. And he's clean. The guy's whole life is hoops. In fact, I think he's rededicated himself to SLU's rebirth, or emergence, as a national power because of his mother's death. He's really got nothing else. SLU suddenly has become his family. We're lucky to have him. We will win. We will be a name in college hoops. I don't understand Broy's resentment or cutting remark about a thread in which RM wanted BC to get some hometown love.

Look, BD, no one wants that more than any of us on here. You're relatively new. A lot of us have been here for more than 10 years. Broy, longer than most. A lot longer. We've suffered thru all the disappointing seasons. And most of us support RM. RM is a winner and a hell of a coach. And he's clean. The guy's whole life is hoops. In fact, I think he's rededicated himself to SLU's rebirth, or emergence, as a national power because of his mother's death. He's really got nothing else. SLU suddenly has become his family. We're lucky to have him. We will win. We will be a name in college hoops. I don't understand Broy's resentment or cutting remark about a thread in which RM wanted BC to get some hometown love.

my problem in this thread is not rickma. my problem in this thread is busted and majic advocating cheating.

my problem in this thread is not rickma. my problem in this thread is busted and majic advocating cheating.

It would probably make more posters happy if you did acknowledge some of the good things RM does along the way (even if not as often as you would like). He does do some decent things off the court.

72, you're right on the new comment. I started following the Billikens when I went there for law school in 2001. I moved to Lexington in 2007, and I saw a different breed of basketball fan. That's the kind of people I identify with. At no point would I ever question the ethics of Rick Majerus, because he's done everything by the book and is getting the program to the level we want it. Rick Majerus will win. He doesn't have to do anything besides coach the young men he brings in (by legal methods). I want to be the team that people don't want to play, ever. The UNLV/Kentucky comment was flat-out baiting.