NBA playoffs start today

I agree. It looks like they're not playing D, but really they are.

All you see in NBA highlights are Jason Kidd throwing lobs to Kenyon Martin, Lebron dunking, Carmelo slashing, Kobe nailing crazy shots, Shaq traveling for Dunks, and Steven H. Smith (of ESPN and Philly Enq.) making an ass out of himself.

NBA players move so much better than college guys that they make things look so simple on the offensive end. There is D, especially in the playoffs.

Also, you couldn't kill yourself every night for an 82 game season and still contend in the playoffs, especially if you had "large" athletes on your team (Shaq, Yao).

If they shortened the season to 30, like in college, you'd for sure see a lot more intensity.

Scoring is way down in the NBA. Defensive coaches have been invading the league of late. If you want good D, just watch the Pistons, Rockets, Indiana, and San Antonio.

This years playoffs are the most interesting in years. If the Cavs had made it in the East .. it'd be even better though.

Just in round one:

Shaq vs. Yao Ming .. there will be serious effort given there

Mavs and Kings (two of the best shooting teams the world has ever seen)

Carmelo Nuggets vs the Timberwolves .. can Garnett finally win a series

Spurs and Grizzlies (not many people know about this team, but they go 10 deep and play their hearts out under hubie brown)

Hey .. and that's just the Western Conference. It's worth following the Pistons and Indiana .. if that series ever comes to fruition.

sorry for the NBA promotion opus ..

i do love watching the billikens more ..

You guys are kidding right? Fine, use Shaq as an example. Watch next time he backs someone down and see how many of the other guys on D actually even pay attention or bend their knees, get in a passing lane or double down. The D in the NBA is PATHETIC. I stopped watching the NBA when Rodman left. Don't laugh. The only reason the guy was as good at getting a board as he was is b/c he hustled like no one else out there. There were a lot of guys better/taller than him but he busted his ass to get every single thing he did. Ben Wallace is someone I would admire IF I did watch the NBA b/c of his hustle. Watch Ron Artest or the like on D and see how much effort they put in. The reason that scoring is down as to what someone suggested is the lack of team play, not better D. All the one on one ###### and back down moves, that is not conducive to a high scoring game. Of course the score is gonna be low when Iverson take 30 shots a game and misses half of them. Perhaps this is just my personal soap box and opinion, but I would hope that other see this as I do.

>is perhaps the biggest myth in all of sports. If anythig the

>problem with the NBA is that the defenses are too good and

>scoring is low because of it.

I don't believe defense is up in the NBA but rather solid fundamentals are down. Not every high school kid drafted turns out like Garnett. As far as watching the NBA for me it's like watching hockey. I have yet to watch 1 qtr of regular season hockey and yet I'm glued for playoff hockey. The level of play is mind boggling.

I just watched KG and Cassell play some the best B-Ball I've seen all year and for one reason only. Every game matters at this point.

I'm glad to hear that he gets on your nerves as well; I thought I was the only one. When he first emerged on the scene a few years ago, I enjoyed his reports, but now he's overexposed and full of himself. He's very knowledgeable about the NBA, but his constant YELLING drives me crazy.

• 1 month later...

>As far as watching the NBA for me

>it's like watching hockey. I have yet to watch 1 qtr of

>regular season hockey and yet I'm glued for playoff hockey.

i agree somewhat, i used to hate the association, thought it was too selfish of a league, but i've really turned into an nba fan as of late. i admit that the addition of former mizzou players like rush and dooling to the lone pro tiger holdout (peeler) has helped my interest, but i find especially the playoffs to be the best basketball offensively and defensively anywhere (as it should be). this said, i'd definitely be for a shortened nba regular season, and for that a shortened hockey season, to make the games more important. i mean, i like the blues, i just can't make myself watch that much when i know they'll make the playoffs no matter what happens. the same goes for the nba, i'd watch more if there was less.

just a side note, anyone else pulling for anyone out of the east to win it just because everyone (sportscenter) has been so down on it as a whole all year? don't get me wrong, my favorite teams are in the west but i'd kind of like an eastern team to win it just to surprise everyone.

Of course I am old enough to remember when St. Louis had the Hawks and playoff time is special(heck I was even alive for our only NBA Championship). I am sucked into watching both the NBA and NHL playoffs, but what the hey, the Tampa Bay Lightning are still in the NHL (cannot believe they lost last night).

My best drinking buddy friend lives in Novi, MI so I have a passing interest in the Pistons as I am sure he has been to several of the playoff games at the Palace this year. I agree with Jalensdad that the intensity level always is at a much higher peak during playoff time. Who'd a thunk that the Lakers could have come back from the dead to win 4 straight after being down 0-2 against the defending NBA Champs.

Here we are seeing a super playoff series between the Bolts and the Flyers. My prediction of a 5 game series win for the Bolts is long down the drain...now I am hoping that they survive Game 7 and do something the Blues have not done in ions...get to a Stanley Cup Final.

doubling down in the nba is pretty difficult to do but on a occassion. remember every single one of these players was probably the best shooter and scorer on his college team and they have only gotten better since college. that is why you see all the crazy clearout and isolation plays. they cant ignore anyone.

the spurs sent two guys after kobe and two after shaq and left brad miller to guard the other two "lesser" players and we saw what derek fisher did with that.

you want to guard him? iverson's percentage isnt great, but he creates his own shot and gets to the basket and foul line a lot. he causes tremendous havoc on the opposing defense and fouls players out and wears defenses down. while i think he takes a lot of bad shots, a lot of those shots a normal nba'er couldnt even get. i do think it would be nice if he toned down a little, or thought about passing a little more. imo he could be a 20-20 (pts assists) guy if he thought about it. but i still realize he is an amazing athlete that does stuff most cant. do i like him? not a bit. i dont like his off court stuff or the way he thinks a bit. ("it's practice. not a big deal") but respect his skills tremendously.