Most important game since the "Miracle in Memphis" 12 years ago

brianstl

It is obvious now that you do not understand something fundamental about tournament selection but RIGHT NOW St. Joe's and Dayton, while out are close enough to get in with a few victories (which technically makes it 6 possible but I bet there are not enough wins to go around for that). Again, I am not predicting anyone to make a run but there is "a way", however unlikely. You are stuck in the "cargo cult" of conference slotting--all hail John Frum!

But the most important claim that somehow tomorrow is a "must win" is patently wrong. As wrong as the notion that SLU needed to beat DePaul to get an at large berth in Memphis (they "needed" it to guarantee a berth which is different as they were very much a likely at-large without it).

I would say that tomorrow is a must win if we don't want our remaining games to be must wins. Beating X would take my stress level down significantly.

So, people are going on the record and saying that if we beat X we are in?

The reason I ask is that it seems that people change their opinions immediately after a loss. For example, if we beat X and lose to Duquesne and lose in the first game we play in Atlantic City, do people think we are still in?

The epic meltdowns after any loss this year on this Board have been unbearable. Almost like people expected us to go undefeated this year.

I said before I expected 26 regular season wins and 14 in conference. People hate losing, especially after last year. After we beat Xavier on Tuesday, even someone who has been down on the Bills at times (me) will admit this is a NCAA-bound team.

I think it is a Must win for Xavier, and a very near Must win for SLU. In SLU's case, there is no way the NCAA can take Xavier ahead of SLU if SLU has beaten Xavier twice and finishes ahead of Xavier in the A-10.

I do not think the NCAA puts as much stock in the conference tournaments as others claim.

I'm with BayAreaB's take. The A-10 is probably in line for a minimum of 2 bids. They'd have a hard time picking X, even with all their tradition, over us if we've beaten them twice. Also, I do think the committee looks at how a team is closing out its season. If we appear to be stumbling and fumbling our way towards the finish line then our spot may well go to a team that appears to have momentum. This is the biggest regular season game I can recall since the 70-71 game against Louisville at the old Kiel with a tie for the MVC lead at stake. We beat UL that day before a standing room only crowd at Kiel, the most exciting Billiken game I'd attended during my college days. I'm hoping for the same result tonight.