Tenn St.

kshoe

Just knocked off Murray st. at Murray st. We beat tenn st by 34 for what it's worth.

I guess Murray st isn't getting a #1 seed after all :).

P.s the officiating in the final 2 minutes of the game was atrocious. Made the A-10 refs look like pros.

Just knocked off Murray st. at Murray st. We beat tenn st by 34 for what it's worth.

I guess Murray st isn't getting a #1 seed after all :).

P.s the officiating in the final 2 minutes of the game was atrocious. Made the A-10 refs look like pros.

Just got done watching it on the interwebs myself. That was pretty awful officiating all the way around. Murray St. cut it to 1 late when Canaan got an and one on a total phantom foul. He wasn't even touched on the way to the hoop as Tenn St. was just willing to let him score. There were numerous other calls that I saw that were just flatout terrible.

In the AP and ESPN polls, I bet Murray St. gets knocked down a minimum of 10 spots a piece. Also, on a purely selfish note as a Billiken fan, this helps out our RPI as an opponent picked up a win. Tenn St. is now 16-10 and 9-4 in conference.

That is a tribute to the "Tall Firs", the 1948 NCAA champions. It is a perspective of looking up at the trees from a clearing in the forest. Give credit to Phil Knight of Nike.

...and Bob Ross... huge fan of trees.

Posted Image

In an earlier thread ("slipped into ESPN poll") , I ranked Murray as a B+ team and compared them to St. J, X, and La S. I said if they were in the A-10, they would be a bubble team, would not be undefeated and were undeserving of a high seed.

Now that Murray has lost a game (to C- Tenn St), they have suffered a little damage but I would still put them at B+...a good team but not a great team. I believe many people were blinded by the word "undefeated". One advantage of using my system (and others like it) is it avoids the angel/devil syndrome whereby your fan base ( and some poll voters) thinks you are elite one day ...you lose a game ...and then they think you suck.

So will Murray St be an embarrassment if they get in? No...not anymore than a Wash or St. J would be. Are they deserving of a spot? Yes...more so than MVSU or Norfolk St. If X, St. J or La S got in no one would call that a travesty of justice. Murray is one of those teams.

Bottomline is that many analytical systems work. Not only in prediction but in ranking teams. Are the systems perfect...No...but they work pretty well. The systems sort things out over time. The underated teams like SLU and Wisc eventually come to the forefront and the overated teams eventually fade. My system early on identified the Bills as one of the top teams. It now has them as an elite team. Did we lose some games we should have won? Yes...but so have N Carolina, Kan, and Oh. St. Doesn't change the fact they are great teams. And if we lose we will still be a great team. X is an interesting case. Many thought that X was a great team till "the incident" and now they are messed up. Before the brawl, I had them as B+ ...they dropped a little and now they are back at B+...no better or worse than before.

We need one more win (against La S). If we get that on Sat., the train which has left the station will pick up a lot of steam and be hard to stop. There will be many in the casual fan base and media trying to jump aboard. As they grab hold of the caboose, they will be yelling ..."What is a Billiken?"

Go Bills

In an earlier thread ("slipped into ESPN poll") , I ranked Murray as a B+ team and compared them to St. J, X, and La S. I said if they were in the A-10, they would be a bubble team, would not be undefeated and were undeserving of a high seed.

Now that Murray has lost a game (to C- Tenn St), they have suffered a little damage but I would still put them at B+...a good team but not a great team. I believe many people were blinded by the word "undefeated". One advantage of using my system (and others like it) is it avoids the angel/devil syndrome whereby your fan base ( and some poll voters) thinks you are elite one day ...you lose a game ...and then they think you suck.

So will Murray St be an embarrassment if they get in? No...not anymore than a Wash or St. J would be. Are they deserving of a spot? Yes...more so than MVSU or Norfolk St. If X, St. J or La S got in no one would call that a travesty of justice. Murray is one of those teams.

Bottomline is that many analytical systems work. Not only in prediction but in ranking teams. Are the systems perfect...No...but they work pretty well. The systems sort things out over time. The underated teams like SLU and Wisc eventually come to the forefront and the overated teams eventually fade. My system early on identified the Bills as one of the top teams. It now has them as an elite team. Did we lose some games we should have won? Yes...but so have N Carolina, Kan, and Oh. St. Doesn't change the fact they are great teams. And if we lose we will still be a great team. X is an interesting case. Many thought that X was a great team till "the incident" and now they are messed up. Before the brawl, I had them as B+ ...they dropped a little and now they are back at B+...no better or worse than before.

We need one more win (against La S). If we get that on Sat., the train which has left the station will pick up a lot of steam and be hard to stop. There will be many in the casual fan base and media trying to jump aboard. As they grab hold of the caboose, they will be yelling ..."What is a Billiken?"

Go Bills

Wiz using logic again. I totally hate that.

When you click "help" on kenpom.com, the first paragraph explains it well:

"The first thing you should know about this system is that it is designed to be purely predictive. If you’re looking for a system that rates teams on how “good” their season has been, you’ve come to the wrong place. There are enough systems out there that rank teams based on what is “good” by just about any definition you can think of. So I’d encourage you to google college basketball ratings or even try the opinion polls for something that is more your style."

When you click "help" on kenpom.com, the first paragraph explains it well:

"The first thing you should know about this system is that it is designed to be purely predictive. If you’re looking for a system that rates teams on how “good” their season has been, you’ve come to the wrong place. There are enough systems out there that rank teams based on what is “good” by just about any definition you can think of. So I’d encourage you to google college basketball ratings or even try the opinion polls for something that is more your style."

+1

Hmmm...I can think of a certain poster who needs to read AND understand that paragraph.

Another win for Tenn. State tonight over Tennessee Tech. That makes them 17-10 on the season and 14-4 since starting the season 3-6. Pretty solid team that we thumped handily. Every little bit helps.

Another win for Tenn. State tonight over Tennessee Tech. That makes them 17-10 on the season and 14-4 since starting the season 3-6. Pretty solid team that we thumped handily. Every little bit helps.

I had Tenn St. beating TT so not much help....both teams are C- teams ...neither are as good as LMU(C+ ). Now their win over Murray (B+ ) ...that was sweet.

Tennessee State comes through again with a 68-61 win over Miami Oh. Probably doesn't help much, but glad to see our opponents getting wins. BTW, they're 16-4 in their last 20.