Breaking: Duke in Trouble

Is this really that big of a violation? I mean, i know everyone hates Duke, but this sounds like a small time thing. Now, if there is a history or pattern of this stuff, then that's a different story.

With everything that has happened with schools (USC, OSU, UNC) blatantly showing the NCAA that there's a lack of "institutional control," we're going to see more "minor" infractions have major consequences from now on so that these violations won't snowball.

With everything that has happened with schools (USC, OSU, UNC) blatantly showing the NCAA that there's a lack of "institutional control," we're going to see more "minor" infractions have major consequences from now on so that these violations won't snowball.

Perhaps. But I think you might be going through a little too much wishful thinking with Duke. Don't see anything really happening to Coach K or the school here.

Perhaps. But I think you might be going through a little too much wishful thinking with Duke. Don't see anything really happening to Coach K or the school here.

Don't think anything will come about this but his former assistants have quit the track record re:violations (Capel @ Oklahoma , Amaker @ Michigan and Snyder @ Missouri). Interesting pattern.

I don't agree with this. Those schools aren't the first schools to receive big penalties. The NCAA has shown they don't care about minor violations. Especially when it's schools like Duke. They'll let places like that get away with as much as possible until it makes everyone look bad to the public and they have to take action.

NCAA rules are a farce. No one understands them because they are so convoluted. Nothing is small anymore they are getting so much negative press that they will slam anyone right now. Which is dumb because a school will be punished above and beyond what it should because of the media attention.

Actually, this might have some traction at a school besides Duke. This is a head coach blatantly breaking the rules. A rule that coach K should know very well.

When John Wall was a senior Bill Self had contact with him during a no contact period in January and it got reported and yet nothing happened. Some schools have to really screw up in order to get in trouble.

When John Wall was a senior Bill Self had contact with him during a no contact period in January and it got reported and yet nothing happened. Some schools have to really screw up in order to get in trouble.

He told him he had a good game. Not saying its right or allowed under the rules at all (and Kansas did report it), but its a little different than offering a scholarship. Huge advantage (especially for a coach with the prestige of K) to offer a kid when everyone else didn't have contact. Regardless, this will amount to nothing.

Had self signed wall prob would have been trouble, I have seen the ncaa take the stance drop pursuit and all is forgotten numerous times. My prediction it will be the same w coach k. This kid won't be a dukie and all is forgotten

He told him he had a good game. Not saying its right or allowed under the rules at all (and Kansas did report it), but its a little different than offering a scholarship. Huge advantage (especially for a coach with the prestige of K) to offer a kid when everyone else didn't have contact. Regardless, this will amount to nothing.

Yeah, Kansas reported it because a reporter saw it happen and wrote a piece about it.

There's no doubt in my mind that Duke is just as dirty as some other programs, but they've done a hell of a job keeping it hidden.

The report in the Baltimore Sun, quoting the CBSSports.com report, says that "the kid said Coach K offered him a scholarship." Question to me is "do you believe the kid?" I've seen tons of stuff, most notably on here at "HeardThisBlog" where kids are saying they have offers from this school and that but is it really an offer?

I'd be curious as to the workings of college basketball, as in "how does it work?" Maybe that's a question someone can ask at a Billiken Club meeting or something. For example, just because the kid has the school's t-shirt, is that an offer? I doubt it, maybe an offer is only official if its in writing but kids (and entourages) will count it in a different way.

Count me in the camp that believes absolutely nothing will come of this to a bastion like Duke with an icon like Coach K. Isn't Coach K. our national coach? If so, wouldn't such a violation be an indictment of a national icon as well? Smoke, baby, smoke.

I've had an awesomely good week ---- Nnamdi Asomugha AND Hunter Pence. Life is good in Philly!