Manning?

GOSLU68

I've scoured and the internet produces little about his senior season-did anyone else find anything on his record at Chantilly, grades, AAU?

This was a top 10 DC area list that I parsed down to top 3

#1 - QUINN COOK (PG) Oak Hill H.S.

What more can be said about Mr. Cook? He was player of the year in the DC Metro area as a junior, he was selected for the USA Basketball under 17 team, he is ranked as a Top 20 player nationally, and he has already been featured in SLAM Magazine. Quinn's best quality may be his ability to to elevate his game when the team needs him most. He scored a career high 30 points in the WCAC title game against Gonzaga, and then he went for 28 in the City title win over Ballou. He recently announced plans to transfer to basketball powerhouse Oak Hill Academy.

#2 - MIKAEL HOPKINS (PF) DeMatha Catholic H.S.

Mikael Hopkins is one of DC's best players and locally he may even be under-rated! The Washington Post "only" selected him for the All-Met 4th team last season, but every major recruiting organization has Mr. Hopkins ranked in the Top-50 (nationally). Standing 6'8" and 210 lbs, Mikael is very mobile in the low post. He is also an incredible rebounder and shot blocker. Mikael has a soft touch in the lane and is rapidly developing his mid-range game. Early reports have Hopkins headed to either College Park or Morgantown in the fall of 2011.

#3 - JOHN MANNING © Chantilly High School (VA)

John Manning is truly a force of nature - and at 6'11" he may even add an inch or two before the season tips off. Manning is a true center with a wingspan that measures over 7 feet. John runs the floor well for a big man, and he averages 4 blocked shots per game. The last 2 years (with Manning playing varsity) have been the best Chantilly teams in the history of the school.

I've scoured and the internet produces little about his senior season-did anyone else find anything on his record at Chantilly, grades, AAU?

This was a top 10 DC area list that I parsed down to top 3

#1 - QUINN COOK (PG) Oak Hill H.S.

What more can be said about Mr. Cook? He was player of the year in the DC Metro area as a junior, he was selected for the USA Basketball under 17 team, he is ranked as a Top 20 player nationally, and he has already been featured in SLAM Magazine. Quinn's best quality may be his ability to to elevate his game when the team needs him most. He scored a career high 30 points in the WCAC title game against Gonzaga, and then he went for 28 in the City title win over Ballou. He recently announced plans to transfer to basketball powerhouse Oak Hill Academy.

#2 - MIKAEL HOPKINS (PF) DeMatha Catholic H.S.

Mikael Hopkins is one of DC's best players and locally he may even be under-rated! The Washington Post "only" selected him for the All-Met 4th team last season, but every major recruiting organization has Mr. Hopkins ranked in the Top-50 (nationally). Standing 6'8" and 210 lbs, Mikael is very mobile in the low post. He is also an incredible rebounder and shot blocker. Mikael has a soft touch in the lane and is rapidly developing his mid-range game. Early reports have Hopkins headed to either College Park or Morgantown in the fall of 2011.

#3 - JOHN MANNING © Chantilly High School (VA)

John Manning is truly a force of nature - and at 6'11" he may even add an inch or two before the season tips off. Manning is a true center with a wingspan that measures over 7 feet. John runs the floor well for a big man, and he averages 4 blocked shots per game. The last 2 years (with Manning playing varsity) have been the best Chantilly teams in the history of the school.

I wasn't able to find a lot of stats, but it does seems to me that he is a good get and might not be the long-term project some think he is right now. I think many on the board are forgetting about him, especially with the obsession about recruiting some mythical big man stud this spring. Frankly, I am kind of glad some feel he might not produce right away. The same was thought of Willie, and look what he did. Also, Evans was considered the least of the 4 coming in last year and he had the best overall season.

There is not a lot on him out there. There are only a few videos and they show a player who is similar to Rob Loe (but skinnier), big and somewhat athletic, but needing time to develop muscle. If he develops muscle by next year I will be surprised. As far as the long term, I hate to say it, but it is a toss up. If he is not developed well, or if it turns out that he cannot develop more strength and coordination, then there will be no return.

Even with that said, I really like him as a recruit. I like the potential. If he develops, then he can really be a dominant force with his size. But, you have to call a spade a spade.

There is not a lot on him out there. There are only a few videos and they show a player who is similar to Rob Loe (but skinnier), big and somewhat athletic, but needing time to develop muscle. If he develops muscle by next year I will be surprised. As far as the long term, I hate to say it, but it is a toss up. If he is not developed well, or if it turns out that he cannot develop more strength and coordination, then there will be no return.

Even with that said, I really like him as a recruit. I like the potential. If he develops, then he can really be a dominant force with his size. But, you have to call a spade a spade.

I believe I recall hearing that he put on a bunch of muscle before his senior season. I'm sure he'll still be a project, though.

I believe I recall hearing that he put on a bunch of muscle before his senior season. I'm sure he'll still be a project, though.

From what I had read, he put on 40 pounds between his junior and senior seasons. I think a lot of people think he is still 200 lbs, when in reality he is now 240. That is a significant difference.

From what I had read, he put on 40 pounds between his junior and senior seasons. I think a lot of people think he is still 200 lbs, when in reality he is now 240. That is a significant difference.

If he adds another 10, he's going to be grinding opponents' bones to make his bread...

As GOSLU68 stated, it is hard to find comprehensive stats for his past season online. However, from what I could piece together, it looks like he averaged about 12 PPG, 68% FG, 69% FT amd 4 BPG. Rebounding stats were totally incomplete, but looks like he averaged double-digits. He was also First Team for his district as well as being named DPOY.

His HS team had another big kid who played more out on the wing who did most of the scoring.

I'd like us to be in a position to redshirt him but it is becoming obvious that we won't be. He may be a work in progress offensively but I believe he can step in and defend and rebound at this level.

His HS team had another big kid who played more out on the wing who did most of the scoring.

I'd like us to be in a position to redshirt him but it is becoming obvious that we won't be. He may be a work in progress offensively but I believe he can step in and defend and rebound at this level.

We're a big man away from an NCAA tournament run. Unfortunately, we need the minutes from a 7 footer that can at least rebound for us.

We're a big man away from an NCAA tournament run. Unfortunately, we need the minutes from a 7 footer that can at least rebound for us.

if he progresses like RL who in the last half dozen games showed some real presence (controlling his space, not getting pushed around) we should be good tournament time

if he progresses like RL who in the last half dozen games showed some real presence (controlling his space, not getting pushed around) we should be good tournament time

I agree that Loe started to develop his interior defense late in the season and also tried to score a little more in the post. He also got tougher. From the reports on Manning, he is already a developed low-post defender who needs more polish on the offensive end. Apparently he can shoot from around 15-16 ft and isn't atrocious from the FT line (around 70%). However, it seems like his offense is mostly built around offensive tip ins and open dunks/layups. I would think getting to work with Majerus and Jensen can only benefit him as the season progresses.