Semi-OT: St. Louis Pioneers ABA

bonwich

From an ad in today's paper:

"Welcome ABA pro basketball back to St. Louis with former Vashon High School and SLU great Dwayne Polk and the St. Louis Pioneers."

There's even a picture of Dwayne in a SLU uniform.

Where in God's name do they find investors for such a team?

I'd rather see this happen after SLU establishes themselves as a big basketball program that can sell out tickets for majority of games. Give it 5 years.

http://www.stlpioneers.com/rosters.html

Apparently somebody with the Pioneers already doesn't like one of the players. Johnathon Griffin is listed as from "Uragay". Now thats a slap in the face.

Flo Valley CC???? I played pickup basketball at SCC for a year and a half, surely I could play for this team. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why everyone is so quick to judge this team. It might not be a success. But for all we know this league's goal is only to be a in-season bonner league. Last I checked, Polk hadn't quit his day job. They are not trying to rival the NBA or anything.

From an ad in today's paper:

"Welcome ABA pro basketball back to St. Louis with former Vashon High School and SLU great Dwayne Polk and the St. Louis Pioneers."

There's even a picture of Dwayne in a SLU uniform.

Where in God's name do they find investors for such a team?

You always find some newly affluent multi millionare St. Louisan that made a fortune with good business sense.

But his ego pushes him to make a terrible business decision because he wants to be a big shot, own a team, and has a place in his heart for men or woman's soccer or basketball, and they fail 90% of the time. SL Steamers soccer in the late '70's-early '80s did well, I do not think any others succeeded in those two sports.

A few years back I tried out for a St Louis ABA team that went under after 2 games at the family arena with a buddy of mine who played at Mo Baptist. They sent me home after a couple of hours. I was the 6th player cut.

Polk is getting 20 points a game. So this team would lose to SLU by 30 at least?

• 1 month later...