John Manning ESPN update

There is a very small blurb about John Manning in an article about the Gonzaga D.C. Classic.

St. Louis signee John Manning (Chantilly, Va./Chantilly) had 16 points, four rebounds and five blocks in a loss to Holy Cross. Manning has post offense, including a hook. The next step is to develop his footwork, gain strength and be quicker with his moves.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5914550

Manning is averaging just under 10 ppg for Chantilly High, the 19 ranked team in the Metro DC area.

I don't think Manning really compares to Reed at all. Manning appears to have the toughness of a Heinrich with more advanced skill, just needs to work on his conditioning and agility.

I checked out rivals: Both were 3 star recruits. Willie is 2 inches shorter but weighed 15 more lbs. Sigh...I wish we could get a 5 that was a bruiser...

Willie had 15 lbs on this guy!?!?!

I hope this guy doesnt fall down a drain pipe or get blown away in a windstorm between now and next year.

Manning is averaging just under 10 ppg for Chantilly High, the 19 ranked team in the Metro DC area.

I don't think Manning really compares to Reed at all. Manning appears to have the toughness of a Heinrich with more advanced skill, just needs to work on his conditioning and agility.

And Willie had no senior season in HS so it's hard to compare on that basis. About all you can say is that Manning is supposed to have a low post game as did Willie coming out of high school and both were somewhat under recruited big men. But Willie possesses the explosiveness off his feet and the long wing span that I don't expect from Manning. However, Manning is the bigger body. If Willie came back and stayed eligible it would be a huge plus to red shirt Manning next year. Not holding my breath on that one.

I am pretty excited about Manning, but does anyone know how he compared to Willie coming out of High School?

There were many SLU fans who were VERY excited about Rob Loe this time last year and you see how he, at least for now, is nowhere near as good as they thought he would be. I believe he will become a good ballplayer in time.

There were many SLU fans who were VERY excited about Rob Loe this time last year and you see how he, at least for now, is nowhere near as good as they thought he would be. I believe he will become a good ballplayer in time.

He not the savior you thought he might be because he is playing in the paint all game - that is something his coach in NZ told me in an email that I shared last year was not his strength but that he thought he could develop to be good in that role. Long term for his development he needs to play where he is but right now he is learning a new role on the fly - lets talk about him next year when he has a chance to adjust to his new role for awhile.

To be honest, I am still very excited about Rob Loe. The problem is SLU's circumstances have forced him into a different role than was originally planned for him. We have seen how effective he can be when Loe gets out onto the wing. I like his shot for the most part. Just a little physically unmature, but add some weight on him and I think he will be a pretty good player that can help create a lot of mismatches. With that being said, still not sure how he got his shot blocked twice in one series.

To be honest, I am still very excited about Rob Loe. The problem is SLU's circumstances have forced him into a different role than was originally planned for him. We have seen how effective he can be when Loe gets out onto the wing. I like his shot for the most part. Just a little physically unmature, but add some weight on him and I think he will be a pretty good player that can help create a lot of mismatches. With that being said, still not sure how he got his shot blocked twice in one series.

-i will look at RL this way...he is gaining experience inside so he will create a big match up problem down the road as an inside or outside threat

-i will look at RL this way...he is gaining experience inside so he will create a big match up problem down the road as an inside or outside threat

With players like Manning and possibly Reed or some other big we may land, Loe will get the opportunity to play outside more next year. With the experience he is getting now by playing inside, he should be a more well rounded player next year. Hopefully, Manning will be good enough to not have to redshirt next year and give us more inside help. With Evans, Reed, (I'm thinking positively about Reed returning) and Loe, Manning can concentrate on rebounding and defense his freshman year.

He shoots flatfooted. He has to get a some elevation because there are lots of tall players in D1 who can jump to the ceiling.