'Nova and football ....

Taj79

Another update omn the "Nova to BCS football" status floating around Philly.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20100916_Mike_Kern_.html?nlid=3232407

Basically, the author is advocating Nova being forward-looking out towards 2020 whgen no oen knows what is going to happen but havign BCS football "gets you in the room." Interesting debate.

What got me was the comment where by a reader said "no Big East, go ACC" which raises some good points about Nova having better DC/Baltimore ties and allowing the ACC even more in-roads to the NYC area. The authro also talks about the BCS conference breaking off and going their own route in terms of a BCS-only March Madness. I think its reasonable; football is already there (BCS vs. D1-AA).

The beat goes on.

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20100916_Mike_Kern_.html?nlid=3232407

Basically, the author is advocating Nova being forward-looking out towards 2020 whgen no oen knows what is going to happen but havign BCS football "gets you in the room." Interesting debate.

What got me was the comment where by a reader said "no Big East, go ACC" which raises some good points about Nova having better DC/Baltimore ties and allowing the ACC even more in-roads to the NYC area. The authro also talks about the BCS conference breaking off and going their own route in terms of a BCS-only March Madness. I think its reasonable; football is already there (BCS vs. D1-AA).

The beat goes on.

Just read an article in the Post that talked about how the ACC has stumbled since its last expansion. Something for the ACC and Nova to think about. As far as the "big guys" going off and having their own bb tourney - while it could happen, I think the chance of it actually happening is less than most think. The difference here is that bb has a playoff system but football never did so protecting the bowl set up for money reasons made sense. BB on the other hand has a playoff system now and is very successful money wise. TV won't agree to any changes that makes for a smaller pool of teams to be involved. I know that the "big guys" could just say lets have a playoff in bb with just us and include all teams in our club - the problem with that is you can not put the genie back in the bottle - all the fans no what a real tourney looks like now and won't be that interested in going to a contrived system.

Just read an article in the Post that talked about how the ACC has stumbled since its last expansion. Something for the ACC and Nova to think about. As far as the "big guys" going off and having their own bb tourney - while it could happen, I think the chance of it actually happening is less than most think. The difference here is that bb has a playoff system but football never did so protecting the bowl set up for money reasons made sense. BB on the other hand has a playoff system now and is very successful money wise. TV won't agree to any changes that makes for a smaller pool of teams to be involved. I know that the "big guys" could just say lets have a playoff in bb with just us and include all teams in our club - the problem with that is you can not put the genie back in the bottle - all the fans no what a real tourney looks like now and won't be that interested in going to a contrived system.

Putting names on that "genie" - The huge runs by Butler, George Mason and even Xavier would sure taint any BCS only Tourney. In the past, teams like Indiana State (Larry Bird), UNLV (Tark years) and Utah (RM's teams) also come to mind.

Even a team like Duke was really nothing back in the late 1970's but, along with North Carolina, have made the ACC what it is today - a power conference. The lack of football success, though, keeps the ACC from being a top conference like the Big 10. As we have seen with recent re-alignment -- basketball means very little when it comes to conferences.

The beat goes on.

The Big East is trying to strengthen its TV markets for football. Philly will always have more Penn State interest, but something is better than nothing. There have also been rumors of Temple coming back into the Big East football fold. Villanova has a pretty tough choice, and either route could prove costly.

-cheese it would not surprise me to see the BCS schools try to go to their own bball tourney

-it seems to me that some of those schools/confs think they are the be all end all and everyone is there to see them

-it would not surprise me if they are chapped that they have to share some of the tv money with the alcorn st/sdst/colgate of the world, i think they want it all

-i guess we have the length of the current tv contract to enjoy what the tourney will be with the new expansion, but i would bet it changes again at the next renewal

-cheese it would not surprise me to see the BCS schools try to go to their own bball tourney

-it seems to me that some of those schools/confs think they are the be all end all and everyone is there to see them

-it would not surprise me if they are chapped that they have to share some of the tv money with the alcorn st/sdst/colgate of the world, i think they want it all

-i guess we have the length of the current tv contract to enjoy what the tourney will be with the new expansion, but i would bet it changes again at the next renewal

Don't put it past the biggies to send a BCS only hoops tourney up the flagpole. Their argument would be that hoop fans would object at first but they'd get over it once they saw how great the games were and how filled the arenas would be if you only allowed BCS'ers into the club. Still, I think CBS and other networks would see how this would lessen the appeal of March Madness because they'd be losing the David vs Goliath attraction that now exists. Face it what's more dramatic, seeing a Seton Hall upsetting KY in the opening game or a Kent St. beating KY?