Schedule Comparison

Taj79

I think the following link is interesting:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20100908_Basketball_schedules_for_Temple__Saint_Joseph_s__La_Salle.html?page=1&c=y

It is the Philly link to this years schedules for Philly A10 foes La Salle, St. Joe's and Temple. The simple question is why does La Salle play OCC foes like Columbia, Prairie View, Morgan State, Delaware State and St. Joe's plays Minnesota and Sienna at home while Temple plays the likes of Seton Hall, Cal, Maryland, Georgetown and Nova?

Because Temple IS somebody; we are not. Yet.

I think the following link is interesting:

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/20100908_Basketball_schedules_for_Temple__Saint_Joseph_s__La_Salle.html?page=1&c=y

It is the Philly link to this years schedules for Philly A10 foes La Salle, St. Joe's and Temple. The simple question is why does La Salle play OCC foes like Columbia, Prairie View, Morgan State, Delaware State and St. Joe's plays Minnesota and Sienna at home while Temple plays the likes of Seton Hall, Cal, Maryland, Georgetown and Nova?

Because Temple IS somebody; we are not. Yet.

i think temple was somebody and they were smart enough to continue scheduling relationships through chaney's waning years and dunphy's early years. i dont think over the last 10 years they have been significantly better than the billikens or st joes or dayton.

here's hoping that once we start getting those better series matchups again we continue to play that level of teams no matter what.

i think temple was somebody and they were smart enough to continue scheduling relationships through chaney's waning years and dunphy's early years. i dont think over the last 10 years they have been significantly better than the billikens or st joes or dayton.

here's hoping that once we start getting those better series matchups again we continue to play that level of teams no matter what.

Whoa, whoa whoa. Over the last 10 years we have 0 NCAA apperances. Temple has 4. Seems significant.

As to why LaSalle is playing a weaker schedule than Temple or St. Joes, the answer should be obvious; they aren't as good. The RPI experts (like Joe Lunardi) will tell you that ideally you will build as tough a non-con schedule as possible so that you win around 70% of the games. If LaSalle went out and scheduled like Temple they'd win 20-30% of their games. That would not be good for their RPI, the conference's RPI or thier team morale.

Whoa, whoa whoa. Over the last 10 years we have 0 NCAA apperances. Temple has 4. Seems significant.

As to why LaSalle is playing a weaker schedule than Temple or St. Joes, the answer should be obvious; they aren't as good. The RPI experts (like Joe Lunardi) will tell you that ideally you will build as tough a non-con schedule as possible so that you win around 70% of the games. If LaSalle went out and scheduled like Temple they'd win 20-30% of their games. That would not be good for their RPI, the conference's RPI or thier team morale.

LaSalle, also, plays in what is nothing more than a high school gym.

over the last ten years the billikens have averaged 17 wins per season and temple has averaged 19. i dont consider that significant. arent you the same one that argued with me that fran dunphy was not the best coach in the league because he never wins an ncaa game? but now you want to attach this huge difference in past performance to those 4 appearances? ok.

over the last ten years the billikens have averaged 17 wins per season and temple has averaged 19. i dont consider that significant. arent you the same one that argued with me that fran dunphy was not the best coach in the league because he never wins an ncaa game? but now you want to attach this huge difference in past performance to those 4 appearances? ok.

I shouldn't even be debating this.

1) 4 NCAA tournies vs. 0 is significant. Plain and simple

2) As you have pointed out many times, Temple plays a much harder schedule than SLU. Averaging 2 extra wins a season while playing a materially harder schedule is significant.

I don't remember debating whether Fran was the best coach in the A-10 or not. That being said, his NCAA record is a strike against him when being compared to the top coaches in the league but surely the fact he has gotten his teams to the NCAA tourney a bunch is a major positive.

roy, I have to say that 4 vs. 0 is more important than the extra 2 wins.

Respect to everyone on here but please, boys, no fighting .....

You (broy) may not think they have been better by leaps and bounds, but you are not national perception. And perception is reality. Who remembers when Coppin State was making the NCAAs, even beating (I think) a #2 in the opening round one year. When was the last time Coppin won the MEAC, without looking? Perception. Folks remember Coppin like they remember Richmond beating Indiana, Valpo's Bryce Drew moment, Nova's DFG% against G-town and so on. Philly basketball is Big Five and Temple is thought of as the soul of Philly ball. Nova is in the suburbs; another us-vs-them war evolves. Everyone excpet the Lunardi's of the world hate St. Joe's.

Anyway, two extra wins per year with a perceived stronger schedule with four NCAA appearances, some national ranking time, three or four or five A10 tritles ---- Temple is way higher in everymans perception of college teams than us, Dayton, La Salle and even St. Joe's who's undefeated and #1 ranking with Nelson and West is seen as an aberration. La Salle playing in a high school gym is irrelevant -- true, but still irrelevant.

Much like us, they are faced with the ability to play elsewhere in the city --- the Palestra, the Spectrum or Wachovia. All the wrong thing to do but they aren't building anything any time soon. Their campus is crud too -- the gym fits the campus.

And if Temple is NOT significantly better than us, St. Joe's or Dayton, how do they get the games and we do not? Penn State, Kansas, Sienna and Nova all went into the Liacouras Center last year. We gewt one of those --- Dayton gets one of those ---- the fan base would be ecstatic.

ok over the last ten years according to kshoe temple has been over the top significantly better and more successful than everyone in the conference and thus that is why they continue to get a better schedule. discussion is over. lock the thread and let's get back to sweater vests and checkered pants.

ok over the last ten years according to kshoe temple has been over the top significantly better and more successful than everyone in the conference and thus that is why they continue to get a better schedule. discussion is over. lock the thread and let's get back to sweater vests and checkered pants.

We might as well lock the thread. Kshoe dominated you.

We might as well lock the thread. Kshoe dominated you.

he usually does. i dont think kshoe has ever been wrong. coming from me, who also is rarely wrong, this is big.