Rob Loe

NH

I had an inkling this could take place.

No player as young as Loe has been selected to play in the worlds for NZ. Their team is mainly comprised of veteran players with international experience.

I'd love to see him get exposed to that high level of play but you have to factor in would he have gotten any playing time on that team? Probably not, so his experience would be limited to practicing which he has already done.

Lets get him in here and learning Majerus system. I am much more concerned with Loe being a great Billiken rather than a great international player at this point.

Great assessment. Get him here, acclimated to college life @ SLU, classes, social in USA, etc, he will be better off and so will we.

I agree with Shoe in that the speed and physicality of the game played by the NZ Natl team would be a better basketball experience. At the same time, it will be better for the rest of team to have RL here and it will be better for RL, the person. We want RL to fall in love with SLU and stay here for at least 3, if not 4 years. Sometimes, kids need to relax and simply be a kid. Phenoms and great players always get put in with older, bigger and better players... which is great, but sometimes it's too much and/or too early.

RL. Welcome to America, to St. Louis, to SLU. Come early and hang out. Get your dorm set up, get your books early and then wander over to the Chaifetz weight room. Enjoy Humphries but no need to close the joint every night. All the while, enjoy the co-ed talent and college life. Your time with the Natl team will come. In the meantime, get to know your teammates, RM and start enjoying college life.

I agree with Shoe in that the speed and physicality of the game played by the NZ Natl team would be a better basketball experience. At the same time, it will be better for the rest of team to have RL here and it will be better for RL, the person. We want RL to fall in love with SLU and stay here for at least 3, if not 4 years. Sometimes, kids need to relax and simply be a kid. Phenoms and great players always get put in with older, bigger and better players... which is great, but sometimes it's too much and/or too early.

RL. Welcome to America, to St. Louis, to SLU. Come early and hang out. Get your dorm set up, get your books early and then wander over to the Chaifetz weight room. Enjoy Humphries but no need to close the joint every night. All the while, enjoy the co-ed talent and college life. Your time with the Natl team will come. In the meantime, get to know your teammates, RM and start enjoying college life.

Well said.

I think many of you are missing the key point --

It is FAR BETTER for a student to come on time -- or even early -- and acclimate. It seems very one-sided to focus on whether it is better for his basketball or not -- he is a new student to a new school, in this case even a new country. The jump into university is a very big jump; I was actually worried that he would arrive a few weeks into the semester. This will be great for Rob, though he may be disappointed about not making the team.

as for the early summer basketball, yes it's true -- I was at the summer league games yesterday afternoon and watched many of the SLU guys play in those, they are really just Simon Rec games with running clocks and refs who rarely call anything, except oddly enough zone defense technicals for helpside work, weird. I learned almost nothing about our players from going; I went to see another friend play, not so much the SLU guys (I did notice immediately Jake Barnett's court sense and basketball IQ, however; and his long arms and nice shooting form) -- and I doubt if the purely basketball time here helps a whole lot. but chemistry, team morale, friendship, simply campus awareness, learning your way around, settling into a room, hell even just getting over jet lag -- these are for the benefit of a new STUDENT-athlete.

nota-bene: please remember the STUDENT part comes first in that much maligned moniker -- mercy me!

Doctor Benofy,

So you know when they play summer league games? Is this at the Rec? What days of the week and what time?

what's Benofy? you mean Superfly??

Saturday and Sunday afternoons, roughly 1-4 pm. @Harris Stowe; go into the west side gates, Pine, directly across from SLU (the pond) and go to first left turn-- into that parking lot with all the cars. Huge clock on the building facade. show up anytime during those hours and you'll see some games with SLU guys.

There's a schedule somewhere but don't ask me where. There is no SLU team per se; but one has Willie and Kwamain on it; one has Christian and Jake on it, etc., mixed in with a few other D-1 guys, some younger guys and even a few old-timers (nobody as old as me, though, otherwise I might jump in there). Anyone can be on a team, evidently. they get a good turn out, too. Earl Austin is there a lot.

Doctor Benofy,

So you know when they play summer league games? Is this at the Rec? What days of the week and what time?

That's hilarious - Dr. Benofy! Is he still there? His handwritting was that of typed print. (Dr. B - Dr. Benofy taught physics at SLU in the early 90's). I think Dr. B hails from a town ruled by Kilroys and Crimson and Cream if I am not mistaken. Dr. B - are you from IN or just study at IU?

what's Benofy? you mean Superfly??

Saturday and Sunday afternoons, roughly 1-4 pm. @Harris Stowe; go into the west side gates, Pine, directly across from SLU (the pond) and go to first left turn-- into that parking lot with all the cars. Huge clock on the building facade. show up anytime during those hours and you'll see some games with SLU guys.

There's a schedule somewhere but don't ask me where. There is no SLU team per se; but one has Willie and Kwamain on it; one has Christian and Jake on it, etc., mixed in with a few other D-1 guys, some younger guys and even a few old-timers (nobody as old as me, though, otherwise I might jump in there). Anyone can be on a team, evidently. they get a good turn out, too. Earl Austin is there a lot.

Go to Earl's website, linked from our Board. He has a list of teams in the HS league and comments on posting the schedule of future game. Just curious why MM and KC are not listed as playing-hope it's not due to some injury.

I am late to bring this up but Loe could have matched up against Vouyoukas, who is playing for Greece. New Zealand and Greece are not in the same groups but they are in "related" groups in that teams from their groups play each other in the first knockout stage.

I have very little to say about the performances of the SLU guys in these pseudo-games, except to suggest that one of our players does come off as not just a little arrogant: he tends to arrive with a posse and to strut around like he is one of the blingy 3 amigos on the Miami Heat (you can try to imagine which one that might be --and correct me if I'm way off here; though I doubt it). All he seems to need is a tattoo: 'delusions of grandeur,' or something along those lines. There is a bit of a weird air in that summer league, in short.

As for the play-offs, see for yourselves -- they are over this weekend then on Monday and Tuesday evening, if you are in town: I did hunt down that site at Bauman's suggestions: check it out @ earlaustinjr.com/slu-basketball/3297.html. I might even go one night.

hope I'm not steppin' on anyone's toes by suggesting that one of our players appears to be suffering from some sort of me-first virus, hope I'm wrong. Again, the "atmosphere" of much summer ball, AAU, etc., seems rather toxic to me at times, BUT maybe I'm just too old-fashioned. I'm sure it's just me. ; ) :rolleyes:

I have very little to say about the performances of the SLU guys in these pseudo-games, except to suggest that one of our players does come off as not just a little arrogant: he tends to arrive with a posse and to strut around like he is one of the blingy 3 amigos on the Miami Heat (you can try to imagine which one that might be --and correct me if I'm way off here; though I doubt it). All he seems to need is a tattoo: 'delusions of grandeur,' or something along those lines. There is a bit of a weird air in that summer league, in short.

As for the play-offs, see for yourselves -- they are over this weekend then on Monday and Tuesday evening, if you are in town: I did hunt down that site at Bauman's suggestions: check it out @ earlaustinjr.com/slu-basketball/3297.html. I might even go one night.

hope I'm not steppin' on anyone's toes by suggesting that one of our players appears to be suffering from some sort of me-first virus, hope I'm wrong. Again, the "atmosphere" of much summer ball, AAU, etc., seems rather toxic to me at times, BUT maybe I'm just too old-fashioned. I'm sure it's just me. ; ) :rolleyes:

I know what you mean. Paul Eckerle tends to be a little much for my tastes too, Doc. :lol:

"Team Holla"? Really?

Willie, WILLIE, WILLIE!!!!!!! Just go lift weights.