There have been very few billikenboard posts, relative to the total number of posts, about MU over the last few months. I think most people on this board don't care enough anymore.

But posts like this are just classic. Condescending attitude by a MU fan and he doesn't even get his facts rights since playing X and Temple didn't help SLU this year given that we lost and this season was hardly lightning in a bottle given the clearinghouse basically kept us from an NCAA bid.

MU has been dodging SLU since the Quin era and I'm sure they want nothing to do with us the next two years so EVERYONE needs to just stop talking about them because they can do their thing, we can do our thing and if MU is fortunate enough to meet us in the NCAA tournament next year then so be it.

I expressed the opinion that $LU got a lot of false sense of acheivement by playing Xavier and Temple close at home. Your blow-out loss today seems to have brought some of you back to earth. And yes, the best way to keep MU posters away is by not taking shots. Just a natural reaction to "educate" you.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I expressed the opinion that $LU got a lot of false sense of acheivement by playing Xavier and Temple close at home. Your blow-out loss today seems to have brought some of you back to earth. And yes, the best way to keep MU posters away is by not taking shots. Just a natural reaction to "educate" you.

How many SLU fans were on any Missouri site "educating" them after the Tigers stank it up against Nebraska a couple of days ago?

MU has been dodging SLU since the Quin era and I'm sure they want nothing to do with us the next two years so EVERYONE needs to just stop talking about them because they can do their thing, we can do our thing and if MU is fortunate enough to meet us in the NCAA tournament next year then so be it.

Again, there is your inflated sense of worth. There is no clamoring by Mizzou fans to play $LU because, in case you haven't noticed, the state of Missouri encompasses much more than the St. Louis area. A relatively small percentage of Missouri residents and fans care or even know who or what $LU is. Sure, the local writers will use it to write columns but $LU is really a small blip on the radar. We play Illinois(pretty much unsuccessfully) in St. Louis already and have plenty of tough conference games( #1 rated Conference RPI) to get a respectable RPI by year end even in a rebuilding year. The tough conference is by your own admission in a previous thread. Missouri doesn't owe $LU and hand up in revenue or recruiting.

Again, there is your inflated sense of worth. There is no clamoring by Mizzou fans to play $LU because, in case you haven't noticed, the state of Missouri encompasses much more than the St. Louis area. A relatively small percentage of Missouri residents and fans care or even know who or what $LU is. Sure, the local writers will use it to write columns but $LU is really a small blip on the radar. We play Illinois(pretty much unsuccessfully) in St. Louis already and have plenty of tough conference games( #1 rated Conference RPI) to get a respectable RPI by year end even in a rebuilding year. The tough conference is by your own admission in a previous thread. Missouri doesn't owe $LU and hand up in revenue or recruiting.

Nice hobby you have, stalking another school's board, taking potshots at SLU.

Big man! I am very proud of you!

Mizzou blown out by Nebraska, but quick fix available: get some JUCO goons for next year, Mizzou Mizzou fans will be happy again!

Nice hobby you have, stalking another school's board, taking potshots at SLU.

Big man! I am very proud of you!

Mizzou blown out by Nebraska, but quick fix available: get some JUCO goons for next year, Mizzou Mizzou fans will be happy again!

Man you really don't know anything about Mizzou, do you? We have ONE juco player on the roster, and he's a senior- our recruiting class next year features 4 true freshman, 2 of whom are rated top 50 in the country. I'll settle for those.

Well, your opinion was pretty dumb if you ask me. SLU fans didn't get a false sense of achievement because of the close losses to Xavier. We got a sense of achievement because we went 8-0 in the other 10 games down the stretch.

To go back to your original statement, what if our schedule this year had Xavier and Temple on the road but GW and Charlotte at home? Instead of finishing 11-5 in conference, we probably would have been 13-3. And you think we were lucky to have that schedule? Hmmm.

Well, your opinion was pretty dumb if you ask me. SLU fans didn't get a false sense of achievement because of the close losses to Xavier. We got a sense of achievement because we went 8-0 in the other 10 games down the stretch.

To go back to your original statement, what if our schedule this year had Xavier and Temple on the road but GW and Charlotte at home? Instead of finishing 11-5 in conference, we probably would have been 13-3. And you think we were lucky to have that schedule? Hmmm.

Speaking of dumb, why don't you just "what if" 16 home games with Fordham. Hmmmm?

I didn't say MU OWES anything. I said they have been dodging us for years now and that is a fact. We have been asking for games and have been denied. That is your right and I really don't care.

The other reality is that in the next two years SLU is going to be an NCAA caliber team. That obviously concerns you, hence your need to be on this board immediately after our 2nd blowout loss since the arrival of Cody Ellis. You know it and those MU fans that live in the St. Louis area know it too. So don't complain these next two years if your coaches are too chicken sheat to play us and the local media dares to suggest that SLU is a better team. If you really believe you are better then you should be begging the two MAs to schedule and PROVE us wrong. Instead, you just justified MU not playing us, so YOU will have to live with the reality that many people in the St. Louis region will believe that SLU is the superior team in the next couple seasons.

Speaking of dumb, why don't you just "what if" 16 home games with Fordham. Hmmmm?

Classic diversion of the argument. Explain again how we were "lucky" to get those home losses to Xavier and Temple. Explain without moving off topic.

I didn't say MU OWES anything. I said they have been dodging us for years now and that is a fact. We have been asking for games and have been denied. That is your right and I really don't care.

The other reality is that in the next two years SLU is going to be an NCAA caliber team. That obviously concerns you, hence your need to be on this board immediately after our 2nd blowout loss since the arrival of Cody Ellis. You know it and those MU fans that live in the St. Louis area know it too. So don't complain these next two years if your coaches are too chicken sheat to play us and the local media dares to suggest that SLU is a better team. If you really believe you are better then you should be begging the two MAs to schedule and PROVE us wrong. Instead, you just justified MU not playing us, so YOU will have to live with the reality that many people in the St. Louis region will believe that SLU is the superior team in the next couple seasons.

I mean, while your points are valid, at some point SLU has to prove they're the better team on their own. While it is a possibility, it's also a possibility they won't be. It's not like Mizzou is this aging group of dogged veterans struggling to make the tournament, it's a young ass team as well, and next year all of our best players will be freshman, sophomores, and juniors. So while SLU is certainly on the up and up, Mizzou is too- and it's too early to tell which team is going to have more success moving forward.

Why is it always Mizzou vs. SLU? Mizzou will always be the state school and SLU doesn't have the basketball tradition they do because of all that goes with that. Can we move on now? Mizzou and SLU can both be successful; their fans can both be excited because both programs are improving. I don't see why the conversation always has to degrade to the attacks that it does. I don't get it. Enlighten me, if you can.

I mean, while your points are valid, at some point SLU has to prove they're the better team on their own. While it is a possibility, it's also a possibility they won't be. It's not like Mizzou is this aging group of dogged veterans struggling to make the tournament, it's a young ass team as well, and next year all of our best players will be freshman, sophomores, and juniors. So while SLU is certainly on the up and up, Mizzou is too- and it's too early to tell which team is going to have more success moving forward.

You are absolutely right. If MU refuses to plays SLU going forward both teams will likely have an argument that each is better as both will be NCAA caliber teams. Soooooo....if MU fans don't want to hear the discussion then they should be willing to play SLU the next two years and simply PROVE they are better. It won't even be a discussion if they win. Refuse to play and it will be a discussion. That is the reality of it. If you and Lefty can live with the discussion and don't care then great. But if you are one of those that gets tired of the media asking "who is really better" then you should want to play SLU so that you can shut all of us uppity fans up.

That lightning in a bottle has a name. It's Cody Ellis, and by the way, it's coming back for more. Mizzou and SLU will play whenver Mizzou wants to. There is nothing to talk about. That's just the way it is. These threads are stupid.

Why is it always Mizzou vs. SLU? Mizzou will always be the state school and SLU doesn't have the basketball tradition they do because of all that goes with that. Can we move on now? Mizzou and SLU can both be successful; their fans can both be excited because both programs are improving. I don't see why the conversation always has to degrade to the attacks that it does. I don't get it. Enlighten me, if you can.

It isn't always MU vs. SLU. There have been very few MU posts the past couple months. Many more posts about far fetched NCAA possibilities, MVC vs. A-10, the morality of yanking scholarships, etc.

This post just happens to be a flame started by a known MU fan asking if we are going to the CBI. It was compounded by another well known MU poster suggesting we were "lucky" to have a schedule that allowed us to lose at home to Xavier and Temple. The logic of that one I'm still trying to figure out.

Don't worry, this board will be back to threads about whether Eckerle can actually walk on after being on scholarship soon enough.

Why?

I don't think the Saint Louis University program's goal is to be better than Missouri. The goal is to compete for conference championships, NCAA Tournament appearances, and ideally even a Final Four. SLU and Mizzou aren't in the same conference, so why try to compete with one another? Perhaps the fault is members of the media, but I think the problem is the local basketball fans, who are mostly clueless, anyway, in my opinion. Think Cincinnati Inquirer folks and Cincy hoops fans spend much time obsessing over whether Cincinnati or Xavier is better or worse than Ohio State? I don't know, but I suspect that while they may debate about whether Cincy or X is better (because it's a crosstown rivalry), they generally hope their local team AND the state school both do well.

That lightning in a bottle has a name. It's Cody Ellis, and by the way, it's coming back for more. Mizzou and SLU will play whenver Mizzou wants to. There is nothing to talk about. That's just the way it is. These threads are stupid.

Good call. Lightning in a bottle would have been all season if it weren't for the Clearinghouse. And it will be here for 3 more years......

Why?

I don't think the Saint Louis University program's goal is to be better than Missouri. The goal is to compete for conference championships, NCAA Tournament appearances, and ideally even a Final Four. SLU and Mizzou aren't in the same conference, so why try to compete with one another? Perhaps the fault is members of the media, but I think the problem is the local basketball fans, who are mostly clueless, anyway, in my opinion. Think Cincinnati Inquirer folks and Cincy hoops fans spend much time obsessing over whether Cincinnati or Xavier is better or worse than Ohio State? I don't know, but I suspect that while they may debate about whether Cincy or X is better (because it's a crosstown rivalry), they generally hope their local team AND the state school both do well.

I didn't mean to say they were competing. Shoe just said that "conversations about which team is better" would take place as long as the two didn't play. I was just saying that no one has those discussions right now. Sure, Billikens fans on this board talk about it, but no one else does. So I was saying that in order for those conversations to happen, SLU had to prove it belonged in the discussion.

I didn't mean to say they were competing. Shoe just said that "conversations about which team is better" would take place as long as the two didn't play. I was just saying that no one has those discussions right now. Sure, Billikens fans on this board talk about it, but no one else does. So I was saying that in order for those conversations to happen, SLU had to prove it belonged in the discussion.

Its just a sample of one, but on Thursday, before the RI debacle the guys on the Morning Grind were all saying they thought SLU was the best local team right now. Those are all guys that normally have very condescending things to say about SLU. I think you are mistaken if you think the local media was not comparing our recent success with MU and Illinois' recent lack of success.

you mean like playing head to head in an annual home and away december series? i agree that would give us the answer.

you mean like playing head to head in an annual home and away december series? i agree that would give us the answer.

Mizzou has no good reason to play $Lu. We already play Illinois in St. Louis in one of the big events of the year in St. Louis. Even though MU has been getting an annual as*kicking the game has continued. That should make you at least wonder if MU is afraid to play. Now MU is supposedly working on a home-and home with Arkansas and always play Kansas and Oklahoma. In case you haven't noticed, the Big 12 is the #1 rated RPI conference in the country. $Lu's problem is that your conference is not strong enough (yet?) that you can be selective in OOC games. You need a tougher OOC than MU does. Even though you're the 6th rated RPI conference, you're miniscule points ahead of the 7th place and a lot closer to 8th( your usual ranking) than 5th. You need a rival and we already have Kansas, Nebraska and Illinois. You guys complain about a handful of MU posters(4 or5) stirring up crap or, in my case, defending my school on your board. You're in for a rude awakening if you ever do get a rivalry going.

Mizzou has no good reason to play $Lu. We already play Illinois in St. Louis in one of the big events of the year in St. Louis. Even though MU has been getting an annual as*kicking the game has continued. That should make you at least wonder if MU is afraid to play. Now MU is supposedly working on a home-and home with Arkansas and always play Kansas and Oklahoma. In case you haven't noticed, the Big 12 is the #1 rated RPI conference in the country. $Lu's problem is that your conference is not strong enough (yet?) that you can be selective in OOC games. You need a tougher OOC than MU does. Even though you're the 6th rated RPI conference, you're miniscule points ahead of the 7th place and a lot closer to 8th( your usual ranking) than 5th. You need a rival and we already have Kansas, Nebraska and Illinois. You guys complain about a handful of MU posters(4 or5) stirring up crap or, in my case, defending my school on your board. You're in for a rude awakening if you ever do get a rivalry going.

I think most folks on here want this game because of how fun it would be as a fan. At least I would anyways. I have a lot of friends that are Mizzou grads and they would love to see this as well. Considering how many graduates live in STL, I would bet that more than half would welcome this type of game and would be excited about it. I don't think it needs to be a 'rivalry', it would just be a fun game to go and watch with friends that have a different allegiance. I'd love to go to Columbia and watch the game, and they would love to go to the Fetz and watch it. You may not, and that's fine. I'm not going to argue with you as far as whether it is good for MU to play SLU, but I will say I don't think it will hurt MU the next couple years considering SLU 'should' be considered to be a pre-season favorite to make the field of 65.

Its just a sample of one, but on Thursday, before the RI debacle the guys on the Morning Grind were all saying they thought SLU was the best local team right now. Those are all guys that normally have very condescending things to say about SLU. I think you are mistaken if you think the local media was not comparing our recent success with MU and Illinois' recent lack of success.

I'm talking big picture though. I don't think there's anyone in the region who wants to argue that SLU had a better year than Mizzou right now, unless his name is Roy.

I'm talking big picture though. I don't think there's anyone in the region who wants to argue that SLU had a better year than Mizzou right now, unless his name is Roy.

And I am saying that in the next couple years with SLU being an NCAA caliber team, the comparisons may very well be made. If it doesn't bother you then great, you don't have any need to schedule a game. But if you personally are going to be upset if the average fan in your office says "SLU is really pretty good this year, I bet they could beat MU" then you should be hoping for a game so that you can crush those weak, uppity Billikens and put their fans back in their place. :P

You wouldn't expect a guy named Robin to have the balls, to just say he's a Mizzou fan would you? Reach down and do a manhood check Robin, if you're going to troll at least man up. Don't try to sneak in as a Billiken fan with a Billiken picture.

I am a SLU fan and was a season ticket holder for two years a half season plan last year. I just get sick MIZZOU bashing and jealousy on the board. Your not going to challenge me to a fight are you?