Conference Tournaments

NH

(Updated thru 3/10/10 games)

Can we make a list of the Underdogs that win the conference tournament, thereby eliminating an at-large in a few cases and a NIT bid in all cases.

Atlantic Sun-

Automatic NCAA Bid: ETSU

Automatic NIT bid: Lipscomb

Big Sky-

Automatic NCAA Bid: Montana

Automatic NIT bid: Weber State

Big South-

Automatic NCAA Bid: Winthrop

Automatic NIT bid: Coastal Carolina

Colonial-

Automatic NCAA Bid: Old Dominion

Automatic NIT bid: N/A

Ivy League-

Automatic NCAA Bid: Cornell

Horizon:

Auto NCAA Bid: Butler

Auto NIT: N/A

MAAC-

Automatic NCAA Bid: Siena

Missouri Valley-

Automatic NCAA Bid: Northern Iowa

NEC:

Auto NCAA Bid: Robert Morris

Auto NIT: Quinnipiac

Ohio Valley-

Automatic NCAA Bid: Murray State

WCC

Auto NCAA Bid: Saint Mary's

Auto NIT: Likely none

SoCon:

Auto NCAA Bid: Wofford

Summit:

Auto NCAA Bid:Oakland

Sun-Belt:

Auto NCAA Bid: North Texas

Auto NIT: Troy

Summary: 6 NIT bids taken*

because of Stony Brook

Can we make a list of the Underdogs that win the conference tournament, thereby eliminating an at-large in a few cases and a NIT bid in all cases.

Atlantic Sun-

Automatic NIT bid: Libscomb

Big South-

Colonial-

Ivy League-

MAAC-

Missouri Valley-

Ohio Valley-

MCC

Auto NIT: None (Gonzaga is in the dance)

Do we consider this an NIT spot gained?

CAA

Auto NCAA Bid: Old Dominion

MAAC:

Auto NCAA Bid: Siena

SoCon:

Summary: 2 NIT bids taken; maybe 1 gained due to SMC win over the zags

If ever there was a year to make a push into the tourney out of nowhere, this may be it.

America East-

Automatic NCAA Bid: To be determined

Automatic NIT bid: Stony Brook

Atlantic Sun-

Automatic NIT bid: Lipscomb

Big South-

Colonial-

Ivy League-

MAAC-

Missouri Valley-

Ohio Valley-

WCC

Auto NIT: None (Gonzaga is in the dance)

Do we consider this an NIT spot gained? My answer here is no because Zags and SMC were likely both in NCAA anyway. But it is true that an NIT automatic bid (to the Zags) will not be used, so another NIT at large will not be lost.

CAA

Auto NCAA Bid: Old Dominion

MAAC:

Auto NCAA Bid: Siena

SoCon:

Summary: 3 NIT bids taken; maybe 1 gained due to SMC win over the zags

I added Stony Brook of the America East to NIT Automatic Bids. So far there are 3 of those.

Instead of everyone posting new pages, if people just post updates I can add them to the original post, I think that makes sense.

And St. Mary's winning does not gain an NIT spot, since it just pushes a team out of the dance and into the NIT.

Also, I won't add Stony Brook until they complete their conference tournament, otherwise we would have to add every regular season champion.

Does sunbelt get a bid for Troy if they lose to north texas (like they are right now)?

Very regrettably, yes.

There are now 4 automatic NIT bids: Troy, Coastal Carolina, Stony Brook, and the People's Choice, Lipscomb. Troy was a #1 seed in a 3 way tiebreaker, and Lipscomb was a #1 seed in a 4 way tiebreaker.

This List of the new Big 4 shows that this NIT rule needs to be scrapped, assuming the NIT even continues to exist if the NCAA goes to 96 teams.

The NIT at large field is down to 28 and counting.

Instead of everyone posting new pages, if people just post updates I can add them to the original post, I think that makes sense.

And St. Mary's winning does not gain an NIT spot, since it just pushes a team out of the dance and into the NIT.

Also, I won't add Stony Brook until they complete their conference tournament, otherwise we would have to add every regular season champion.

Stony Brook, a regular season conference champ, was eliminated in its conference tournament. That's when it was "rewarded" with an automatic NIT bid. So Stony Brook is in the NIT, even if the winner of its conference (America East) tournament has not yet been decided for the NCAA automatic bid.

Stony Brook, a regular season conference champ, was eliminated in its conference tournament. That's when it was "rewarded" with an automatic NIT bid. So Stony Brook is in the NIT, even if the winner of its conference (America East) tournament has not yet been decided for the NCAA automatic bid.

I'll add it when their conference tournament is over, it is just easier.

Weber State just punched an NIT bid by losing....6 NIT bids gone

Make that 7- Jackson State went down in the SWAC. So the Sock Hop tonight says hello to Quinnipiac, Weber State, and Jackson State.

This NIT rule is why I hate to see Coach Majerus preemptively taking SLU out of the CBI and CIT.

The NIT may well be fading away for SLU thanks to this plethora of debacles in these lower conference tournaments. The NIT could well have a quarter of its teams from these lower conferences- right now it is 7 out of 32 bids and counting.

It is more and more looking like win the A-10 Tournament or bust and wait until next year. That is the cold, hard fact.

Make that 7- Jackson State went down in the SWAC. So the Sock Hop tonight says hello to Quinnipiac, Weber State, and Jackson State.

This NIT rule is why I hate to see Coach Majerus preemptively taking SLU out of the CBI and CIT.

The NIT may well be fading away for SLU thanks to this plethora of debacles in these lower conference tournaments. The NIT could well have a quarter of its teams from these lower conferences- right now it is 7 out of 32 bids and counting.

It is more and more looking like win the A-10 Tournament or bust and wait until next year. That is the cold, hard fact.

I disagree. If we beat Rhode Island we are in the NIT for sure. I guarantee it. Even with a loss I think we get it.

I disagree. If we beat Rhode Island we are in the NIT for sure. I guarantee it. Even with a loss I think we get it.

I hope so. Beating URI should help SLU's RPI somewhat. Hopefully, the NIT College of Retired Coaches will hold SLU in higher esteem than Charlotte at this point in the season and not just take the easy way out there.

Winning 2 A-10 games, meaning beating Temple, has to get SLU at minimum in the NIT, shouldn't it?

I do know that the new NIT has closely followed the RPI, albeit with a few exceptions, but not many.

This NIT rule is just terrible. I fail to see how teams with RPI's over 190 should be rewarded with post-season tournament play, even teams with RPI's over 125.

This NIT rule is just terrible. I fail to see how teams with RPI's over 190 should be rewarded with post-season tournament play, even teams with RPI's over 125.

Just come right out and say it....you are referring to a certain school that rhymes with Pipscomb

I shudder to think about all of the Big East teams that are going to get invited:

1. Seton Hall

2. Cincinnati

3. South Florida

4.. UConn (hopefully they decline)

5. St. Johns (maybe)...RPI 72

Just come right out and say it....you are referring to a certain school that rhymes with Pipscomb

I shudder to think about all of the Big East teams that are going to get invited:

1. Seton Hall

2. Cincinnati

3. South Florida

4.. UConn (hopefully they decline)

5. St. Johns (maybe)...RPI 72

Jackson State too.

This NIT will be the Big East also-rans v. the lower conference D-1 masqueraders, a basketball train wreck in the making.

Get ready for Quinnipiac at UConn in a battle for State supremacy, which can be decided once and for all on the hardwood.

Lipscomb had to give way to conference member Jacksonville d/t an Atlantic Sun conference rule. The rule is that the NIT bid is given to the tying team that advances further in their conference tourney. Just because Lipscomb won the seeding tiebreaker didn't mean they get the auto into the NIT. Jacksonville advanced further in their conference tourney so they get the ASun NIT bid.

Lipscomb had to give way to conference member Jacksonville d/t an Atlantic Sun conference rule. The rule is that the NIT bid is given to the tying team that advances further in their conference tourney. Just because Lipscomb won the seeding tiebreaker didn't mean they get the auto into the NIT. Jacksonville advanced further in their conference tourney so they get the ASun NIT bid.

You are correct. Net result is the same- Jacksonville replaces Lipscomb on our list.

8th potential NIT automatic bid went to Kent State today, although Kent State is potentially still on the bubble for an at large NCAA. NCAA is doubtful IMO.

NIT is probably down to 24 at large bids and counting.