Depaul and Majerus

bbill

You KNOW all of this? Must be nice.

Or are you just cocky and incorrect in thinking we are in a position of strength?

What if he doesn't like Biondi and the new cut backs in travel?

What if he does not like the A-10?

What about DePaul being in the Big East?

What about DePaul having a tradition of excellence (though down now)?

What about DePaul having a hot bed of recruiting in their own backyard, Chicago?

What if DePaul will pay him more?

What if DePaul will ensure that they will take charter flights ALL the time to maximize student athletes time in the classroom?

What if DePaul is close enough to Milwaukee to drive up and see his mother 1,000% more than he can now?

What if he thinks the Chicago media will let him focus on recruiting, developing, and coaching and not whine about him all the time?

What if DePaul embraces him and does not have 15-20 regular haters on the depaul.com basketball board taking cheap shots at him?

I say, I HOPE HE STAYS! HE IS THE PROGRAM. HE LEAVES NOW, WE ARE SCREWED. NEED ANOTHER 3-5 yrs, THEN TURN IT OVER!

Yes, I KNOW this.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks thicks for the defense. And you have hit my intent right on the head. Let's ask it this way, how do you define success?

Absolutely Grawer was a success, he did indeed save the program from the abyss that was Dick McDonald and Ron Ekker. But in the end, that was one burnt out man with nowhere to go. I think he started at 5 - 23 and ended at 5 - 23. Were there good years in between? Yes. Is Saint Louis University a national program because of it? No. Saint Louis University ate Rich Grawer for lunch. The U did not commit the money and time to Grawer; Ms. Yow wanted to move on.

Spoon. Rode Grawer's recruits and Derek Thomas to prominence. Luckiest move of his career might have been somehow getting H Waldman in from UNLV. One year with Hughes and Spoonie starts to lose interest. So would I. Three of SLU's four modern trips to the NCAAs. Success? Sure. Is Saint Louis University a national program because of it? No. Did SLU sour Spoon? I don't know --- I do know they wouldn't pay for his ice cream and the rumored horizontal fandango moves will Jill Pizotti couldn't have been good.

Romar sat on a national search panel for SLU as he was in Pepperdine. One meetng someone says 'hey, LoRo, how about you for the job?" A West Coaster with ties to UCLA and Washington, he says sure. His one success was a Miralce in Memphis and the last of the four NCAAs. A success? Hardly, not in the same vein as Grawer and Spoon but more than most. Is Saint Louis University a national program because of it? No. Romar was on his way to oblivion; he might have scored the Hollins kid but there wasn't much more in the cupboard when he bolted.

Sodie has been discussed enough. Two NIT trips. Success? Okay, less than the first three but success just the same. And yet, at the end of a successful, 20-win season, the big move gets laid on us. Majerus out of retirement and here we go again.

Let me put it this way, Robert E. Lee had success at Antietam, Bull Run and Manassas. He is beloved in the annals of the US Army. He has monuments to his greatness all over Virginia and elsewhere and a US fort bears hsi name. He (and the South) lost that particular war.

I had forgotten the "top 50 program" quote. "Larry" said that straight to my face in Cincinnati in 1997, at the CUSA tournament where Hughes was a freshman. Is Saint Louis University there yet? I lauded the hiring of Majerus. I lauded the building of Chaifetz. They were huge monetary outlays.

Unfortunately, a program like college basketball needs the same attention to detail even after you've reached the top. You've got to spend money to make money. And we ain't at the top by any stretch. And once we get there, a brief stay will not work. At least not for me.

Unfortunately, a program like college basketball needs the same attention to detail even after you've reached the top. You've got to spend money to make money. And we ain't at the top by any stretch. And once we get there, a brief stay will not work. At least not for me.

Good explanation. We're not a Gonzaga, not an X, and not a Butler. RM's probably the best guy to jump start us toward that goal. Hopefully, we get a string of AC's to follow in his footsteps to keep it going, ie PM succeeds him and becomes a Mark Few type, or makes good AC hires should he depart, ala XU. We're not a BCS school so we're gonna lose good coaches along the way unless we find an Altman or a Few. Hell, even the BCS'ers lose 'em, Crean to IU and the Pitt HC to UCLA.

With the cutback in flights at Lambert, it must even be tougher to get the entire team onto commercial. I would think it necessitates flying at odd hours when more seats are available.

This is my thought exactly. I travel a lot and the limited commercial flights are a pain and are always totally full.

On a related note, I cannot believe anyone who has really thought about the travel in the A10 versus the MVC would prefer the long bus trips over the relatively short plane rides to most A10 schools. If we were playing in the PAC 10, maybe it would be different, but the A10 cities (where I fly all the time) are really pretty easy to get to, even if you have to connect. Fortunately, I only need one seat where the team needs 20???

BTW...

Wichita State - 7 hour bus drive

Northern Iowa - 6 1/2 hour bus drive

Creighton - 6 3/4 hour bus drive

Drake - 6 3/4 hour bus drive

Even MO State is a 3 1/2 hours bus drive

Indiana St., Evansville, and Bradley are all 3 hour drives

Believe it or not, I can read. (Maybe better than you ;) ) He's still not calling all of the coaches a failure, but he's saying that SLU's attempts to elevate to permanent prominence and relevance (i.e., wake the sleeping giant) have all failed.

Spoon got us to the big dance 3 times in 7 years, and left the foundation that got Romar to the big dance in his first season. Spoon had a hand in 4 big dance bids over 8 years. That's not failing. If the univeristy dropped the ball later on, how is that his problem? I have my share of complaints about Charlie, but I'd never call him a failure or say his time here failed to do anything positive. Majerus is in his 3rd year, how can you call him or his tenure here a failure at this point?

Thanks thicks for the defense. And you have hit my intent right on the head. Let's ask it this way, how do you define success?

Absolutely Grawer was a success, he did indeed save the program from the abyss that was Dick McDonald and Ron Ekker. But in the end, that was one burnt out man with nowhere to go. I think he started at 5 - 23 and ended at 5 - 23. Were there good years in between? Yes. Is Saint Louis University a national program because of it? No. Saint Louis University ate Rich Grawer for lunch. The U did not commit the money and time to Grawer; Ms. Yow wanted to move on.

Spoon. Rode Grawer's recruits and Derek Thomas to prominence. Luckiest move of his career might have been somehow getting H Waldman in from UNLV. One year with Hughes and Spoonie starts to lose interest. So would I. Three of SLU's four modern trips to the NCAAs. Success? Sure. Is Saint Louis University a national program because of it? No. Did SLU sour Spoon? I don't know --- I do know they wouldn't pay for his ice cream and the rumored horizontal fandango moves will Jill Pizotti couldn't have been good.

Romar sat on a national search panel for SLU as he was in Pepperdine. One meetng someone says 'hey, LoRo, how about you for the job?" A West Coaster with ties to UCLA and Washington, he says sure. His one success was a Miralce in Memphis and the last of the four NCAAs. A success? Hardly, not in the same vein as Grawer and Spoon but more than most. Is Saint Louis University a national program because of it? No. Romar was on his way to oblivion; he might have scored the Hollins kid but there wasn't much more in the cupboard when he bolted.

Sodie has been discussed enough. Two NIT trips. Success? Okay, less than the first three but success just the same. And yet, at the end of a successful, 20-win season, the big move gets laid on us. Majerus out of retirement and here we go again.

Let me put it this way, Robert E. Lee had success at Antietam, Bull Run and Manassas. He is beloved in the annals of the US Army. He has monuments to his greatness all over Virginia and elsewhere and a US fort bears hsi name. He (and the South) lost that particular war.

I had forgotten the "top 50 program" quote. "Larry" said that straight to my face in Cincinnati in 1997, at the CUSA tournament where Hughes was a freshman. Is Saint Louis University there yet? I lauded the hiring of Majerus. I lauded the building of Chaifetz. They were huge monetary outlays.

Spoon "lost interest" by bringing in J.Love and setting up Romar for a trip to the big dance? Romar dropped the ball after Spoon left, IMO. You also called the Majerus tenure a failure in your intital post. How do you figure?

Spoon got us to the big dance 3 times in 7 years, and left the foundation that got Romar to the big dance in his first season. Spoon had a hand in 4 big dance bids over 8 years. That's not failing. If the univeristy dropped the ball later on, how is that his problem? I have my share of complaints about Charlie, but I'd never call him a failure or say his time here failed to do anything positive. Majerus is in his 3rd year, how can you call him or his tenure here a failure at this point?

Perhaps you have a reading disability.

You see the word, "failure," and automatically connect it to a person.

For the third time: Taj wasn't calling Coach Spoonhour (or any of the coaches) a failure; rather, he was saying that SLU's attempt to become a power failed through each of those hires. Taj isn't saying he blames the coaches. Regarding the Majerus era, he's speaking hypothetically IF he were to leave for DePaul.

Perhaps you have a reading disability.

You see the word, "failure," and automatically connect it to a person.

For the third time: Taj wasn't calling Coach Spoonhour (or any of the coaches) a failure; rather, he was saying that SLU's attempt to become a power failed through each of those hires. Taj isn't saying he blames the coaches. Regarding the Majerus era, he's speaking hypothetically IF he were to leave for DePaul.

Perhaps "thicks" describes your mental capacity, or lack thereof. You attempted to clarify for taj, and then he came back and modified it a little bit. I get where he is now, but he still made some statement that I question, and my initial questions were not out of line. Based on the way you have now explained his post, if you claim that hiring Spoon was a "failure" to become a sustained national power, then I supposed you could say that hiring Bruce Weber was a failure for Carbondale because Lowery hasn't sustained it. Hiring John Wooden was a "failure" for UCLA because they have a losing record right now. Hiring Bob Knight was a "failure" for Indiana because they haven't been as good since he was let go. These are obvious overstatements, but not contrary to the logic you guys are using in terms of Spoon. I'd agree with you when it comes to Romar and Brad.

I haven't been rude to anyone in this thread until you made this post. However, you aren't any different than anyone else. I'll respond to your lame trash just the same as I would with anyone else.

Can't we all just get along, thicks! ;)

These are obvious overstatements, but not contrary to the logic you guys are using in terms of Spoon. I'd agree with you when it comes to Romar and Brad.

I haven't been rude to anyone in this thread until you made this post. However, you aren't any different than anyone else. I'll respond to your lame trash just the same as I would with anyone else.

Can't we all just get along, thicks! ;)

My explaining my understanding of Taj's statements should not be an endorsement of it. I am NOT saying that either SLU or any of its coaches has been a failure. So, don't attribute the use of the word to me.

I apologize for my statements you found rude.

I think the only good thing about this conversation getting sidetracked by a silly pissing contest that had nothing to do with the original topic, is that the original topic is every bit as ridiculous. Please, until somebody other than shock jock Kevin Slaten mentions this, let the topic guy. Until the Post, ESPN, Sporting News, or one of the major Chicago papers reports it, then there is nothing to it. As of now, Slaten is the only one reporting it. All of the early specualtion has focused on much younger candidates.

I think the only good thing about this conversation getting sidetracked by a silly pissing contest that had nothing to do with the original topic, is that the original topic is every bit as ridiculous. Please, until somebody other than shock jock Kevin Slaten mentions this, let the topic guy. Until the Post, ESPN, Sporting News, or one of the major Chicago papers reports it, then there is nothing to it. As of now, Slaten is the only one reporting it. All of the early specualtion has focused on much younger candidates.

Cripes, President Obama's gonna step in and demand DePaul hire his brother in law and get him out of Oregon before they fire him. Then he'll hold a press conference and say his jobs program is a success.

My 1st thought about any coach going to Depaul is that the things that made Depaul a great job in the past have changed.

When cable was a new thing TBS made the braves America's team. WGN gave Depaul a nation wide foot print when few other teams had TV coverage much less coast to coast TV coverage. Outside of South Florida, I can't think of a bigger coach killer than the Depaul job.

Spoon "lost interest" by bringing in J.Love and setting up Romar for a trip to the big dance? Romar dropped the ball after Spoon left, IMO. You also called the Majerus tenure a failure in your intital post. How do you figure?

Spoon also had a commitment from Marquis Perry when he left. Romar had to resael the deal, but Spoon was the one who got him to sign on the dotted line.

Saint Louis University has a nationally prominent NCAA men's basketball program. True or False?

We have won four battles in my 35 years.

But we have waged war against the blitzkrieg on horses with popguns. So that counts for something, I guess.

Cripes, President Obama's gonna step in and demand DePaul hire his brother in law and get him out of Oregon before they fire him. Then he'll hold a press conference and say his jobs program is a success.

Oregon State is going to fire Craig Robinson? I didn't vote for his brother-in-law, but come on. That is ridiculous. He took over a disasterous program and has made it respectable very quickly. He took over a team that was 6-25 and was winless in the Pac-10 and in his first year, got them to .500 in conference and they won the CBI postseason tournament. He also knows Chicago recruiting from being a longtime Bill Carmody assistant.

Oregon State is going to fire Craig Robinson? I didn't vote for his brother-in-law, but come on. That is ridiculous. He took over a disasterous program and has made it respectable very quickly. He took over a team that was 6-25 and was winless in the Pac-10 and in his first year, got them to .500 in conference and they won the CBI postseason tournament. He also knows Chicago recruiting from being a longtime Bill Carmody assistant.

It was intended as a tongue in cheek post.