OT: saturday's prep games at chaifetz

i dont know how many took in any of the games saturday at chaifetz, but all in all a fun day of high school hoops. the event wasnt very well run. a lot of scoreboard issues, a million crazy ticket stories from different folks from different schools, but the on court games were pretty good imo.

Nate was there most of the day. so he can obviously back up or rebute my claims.

as far as potential players, i really liked christian kirk from st charles west. really played a decent floor game and handled the very strong will triggs from e-ville pretty well. i hope we are at least considering kirk.

i also liked the lindbergh sophomore, charley mueller, (who by the way i think is the son of former billiken power forward bob mueller from the dark days of ron ekker. hell the kid should get a mulligan opportunity just for dad having to endure that) who had to have scored about 20 points and had a nice dunk on a fast break. i could see this kid improving and who knows as a sophomore, maybe growing more.

shaq boga was fun to watch and i thought former billiken erwin claggett really did a nice job coaching boga's mccluer team against a very good breese central team. i have seen breese play a couple other times and they were completely taken out of their game.

webster was extremely impressive. those kids play HARD. i would not want to face webster in the playoffs. they slaughtered one of the out of town supposed all star teams brought in to showcase.

althoff catholic (lisch's high school) was extremely disappointing. the midcs squad also played hard and gave althoff fits. no way judging them prior to the game i would have believed how badly they made althoff look.

the good news is that at least someone tried to put something together after the old shootout days had died. now they need to work on getting things administratively fixed.

i dont know how many took in any of the games saturday at chaifetz, but all in all a fun day of high school hoops. the event wasnt very well run. a lot of scoreboard issues, a million crazy ticket stories from different folks from different schools, but the on court games were pretty good imo.

Nate was there most of the day. so he can obviously back up or rebute my claims.

as far as potential players, i really liked christian kirk from st charles west. really played a decent floor game and handled the very strong will triggs from e-ville pretty well. i hope we are at least considering kirk.

i also liked the lindbergh sophomore, charley mueller, (who by the way i think is the son of former billiken power forward bob mueller from the dark days of ron ekker. hell the kid should get a mulligan opportunity just for dad having to endure that) who had to have scored about 20 points and had a nice dunk on a fast break. i could see this kid improving and who knows as a sophomore, maybe growing more.

shaq boga was fun to watch and i thought former billiken erwin claggett really did a nice job coaching boga's mccluer team against a very good breese central team. i have seen breese play a couple other times and they were completely taken out of their game.

webster was extremely impressive. those kids play HARD. i would not want to face webster in the playoffs. they slaughtered one of the out of town supposed all star teams brought in to showcase.

althoff catholic (lisch's high school) was extremely disappointing. the midcs squad also played hard and gave althoff fits. no way judging them prior to the game i would have believed how badly they made althoff look.

the good news is that at least someone tried to put something together after the old shootout days had died. now they need to work on getting things administratively fixed.

Kirk has an offer, but when I watched him play I wasn't that impressed. It could have been that his guards were terrible.

Kirk has an offer, but when I watched him play I wasn't that impressed. It could have been that his guards were terrible.

he outplayed the best player on the east side of the river imo. triggs is headed to austin peay next fall. kirk is only a junior so his potential is glaring imo. what i like about kirk is what appears to be the ability to play on the wing or inside. he is as good right now as conklin imo simply because he has conklin's size plus has some outside skills as well as the ability to play in the lane.

athletically, he had three dunks in the game. and again, eville has some size on their team. so it wasnt like he was dominating midget small school centers.

. a lot of scoreboard issues,

-there were scoreboard issues last night in texas - kstate and X had them again versus UD on saturday

-are all of the clocks in the ncaa going on the fritz at the same time?

-also, why don't we have horns on the 3pt clocks loud enough to hear? do the refs get a buzz when the 3pt clock expires, or i mean are they supposed to if things are working correctly?

-i also believe kirk has an offer from slu

Guest BillikenReport

Roy,

Agree with how you summarized the event. I didn't see much of the Lindbergh game, however, and still put in 10 hours there.

My only real complaint about the event would be that I wish they would have had some recruits there associated with SLU or the other local colleges, but I know that's hard to set up several months in advance and make it work.

Kirk does have a scholarship offer from SLU, along with an offer from Southern Illinois and someone else I'm not recalling right now. St. Charles West has struggled with its guard play this year after graduating D-1 guards in each of the last two seasons (Kramer Soderberg and then UMKC starter Alex Bazzell). Kirk has played well, but it gets lost when his team struggles against better opponents. Kirk vs. Triggs was a good matchup.

That McCluer team was struggling with playing its third game in four days, but they were able to hold off Breese Central at the end because of Boga. McCluer then lost last night, which was the Comets' fourth game in six days. They play Parkway West tonight.

SLU was recruiting the big guard from Glenbrook North, Alex Dragicevich, last year. Majerus was one of the first coaches, if not the first, to offer Alex D. He would have been a great addition to SLU's lineup at small forward -- or at shooting guard if the team really wanted to go big. It looks like Notre Dame has a player there.

That Memphis Melrose team was really impressive. Their top player, junior F Adonis Thomas, is one of the top recruits in his class. But besides him they are loaded with D-1 players all over, with seniors who have already committed or signed and juniors with offers from several schools.

I think the event organizers will get things figured out a little better by next year. It was obvious that a lot of the people helping out had never been associated with anything like it before. It was also a very long day of basketball -- like 11 or 12 hours -- so they had different people coming in and out throughout the day. Everyone I've talked to enjoyed it, which includes the high school coaches and the college coaches who were watching and scouting.

-any guesses at attendance for the day?

not good. a huge mistake that the organizers made was not working the schools. the first game there werent enough fans there to equal 1 fan per player. i.e. the kids didnt even get all their parents there let alone other students.

it is my understanding that there were no school discounts. the organizers said if the school band and cheerleaders come, they have to immediately leave after the game was over or else they had to buy a full priced ticket.

the tickets were very much over priced imo. $20 for a reserved seat, which i debated buying and then didnt to save the $5 for a hot dog later. considering no one really cared where you sat since the crowds were sparse, that was a good decision. :lol:

i applaud the mainly local teams. however like i said, they didnt then follow up with getting those schools to sell tix. my gosh, let the schools have x number of tickets at $10 for the entire day. the main thought should be getting people in the building and creating a buzz for future years.

the scoreboard thing still bothers me. no record of individual points and fouls. no ideal of the team fouls and timeouts. just the score.

here is a head scratcher. they gave away the programs. my gosh, sit a kid at the door and sell em for a $1. that is a dollar anyone would have paid.

want to generate some interest, why not kind of make it a missouri vs illinois thing? border war. each game pits a like team from across the water. and throw in a girls game or two. incarnate word and edwardsville girls is the game that needs to happen.

ofallon boys and webster boys would be a great game.

if there is going to be an out of the area team come in, at least get one that wont get blown out. my gosh if that was the best alabama's got, alabama basketball must suck.

last, throw some halftime entertainment in. we got nothing. they would play some pre-recorded songs. maybe. heck at least have cheerleaders doing routines or school dance teams. guess what about another 20 sets of parents per game buy a ticket. instead i think only four teams even bothered to bring their cheerleaders.

the town will suppor this event, but it sure seemed there were a lot of glaring obvious mistakes on this one. i am sure it will get better.

not good. a huge mistake that the organizers made was not working the schools. the first game there werent enough fans there to equal 1 fan per player. i.e. the kids didnt even get all their parents there let alone other students.

it is my understanding that there were no school discounts. the organizers said if the school band and cheerleaders come, they have to immediately leave after the game was over or else they had to buy a full priced ticket.

the tickets were very much over priced imo. $20 for a reserved seat, which i debated buying and then didnt to save the $5 for a hot dog later. considering no one really cared where you sat since the crowds were sparse, that was a good decision. :lol:

i applaud the mainly local teams. however like i said, they didnt then follow up with getting those schools to sell tix. my gosh, let the schools have x number of tickets at $10 for the entire day. the main thought should be getting people in the building and creating a buzz for future years.

the scoreboard thing still bothers me. no record of individual points and fouls. no ideal of the team fouls and timeouts. just the score.

here is a head scratcher. they gave away the programs. my gosh, sit a kid at the door and sell em for a $1. that is a dollar anyone would have paid.

want to generate some interest, why not kind of make it a missouri vs illinois thing? border war. each game pits a like team from across the water. and throw in a girls game or two. incarnate word and edwardsville girls is the game that needs to happen.

if there is going to be an out of the area team come in, at least get one that wont get blown out. my gosh if that was the best alabama's got, alabama basketball must suck.

last, throw some halftime entertainment in. we got nothing. they would play some pre-recorded songs. maybe. heck at least have cheerleaders doing routines or school dance teams. guess what about another 20 sets of parents per game buy a ticket. instead i think only four teams even bothered to bring their cheerleaders.

the town will suppor this event, but it sure seemed there were a lot of glaring obvious mistakes on this one. i am sure it will get better.

Someone said there was a armed robbery or robberies in the general area at some point in time. Maybe could play all the games in the daytime

That could be why the miz zou tigers have enough games on their schedule at this time too

I am so glad to have you back, snookums.

Mark Miller. who has posted here regarding Kwamain Mitchell among other things in the past, runs a nice event annually in Milwaukee. Perhaps someone running the Stl event can contact him for pointers? Good out of town and local teams, played on Marquetee's campus at the Al McGuire Center, and it includes a school of a Marquette recruit annually...be it a local or out of town recruit. Tix I believe are 7 bucks ish or so.

Alex Dragicevich is a nice player. One of these years perhaps SLU will get one of those North Shore wings.

Mark Miller. who has posted here regarding Kwamain Mitchell among other things in the past, runs a nice event annually in Milwaukee. Perhaps someone running the Stl event can contact him for pointers? Good out of town and local teams, played on Marquetee's campus at the Al McGuire Center, and it includes a school of a Marquette recruit annually...be it a local or out of town recruit. Tix I believe are 7 bucks ish or so.

Alex Dragicevich is a nice player. One of these years perhaps SLU will get one of those North Shore wings.

Doubt that,but you can never say never

Alex was and is Notre Dame bound. Whoever said he would make a good small forward, Alex is and will always be a guard.As a matter of fact plays point guard much of the the time for Mr.Weber, and can do it all as a........ Guard.

Doubt that,but you can never say never

Alex was and is Notre Dame bound. Whoever said he would make a good small forward, Alex is and will always be a guard.As a matter of fact plays point guard much of the the time for Mr.Weber, and can do it all as a........ Guard.

big country, what's the difference in your eyes from a "small forward" and a "guard". thanks in advance for your wisdom and insight.

p.s. big, not meaning to brag but if you notice, on this thread i got the quote thing first try. it's a gift.