DePaul

dewey33

Interesting comments by TT on the blog.....(I am not touching the Relphorde thing anymore)

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...do-other-notes/

I am thinking that DePaul might be a player in the formation of a new configuration someday....they gotta be getting sick of getting their tails kicked in the BigEast .

Also, the travel for all of their other sports has gotta be expensive with little return other than the table scraps of BCS money they get from a huge conference. Also, they do not have the NCAA tournament money that Marquette has paying their bills...

The Chicago market would go a long way into generating the TV interest that would make a move happen....put it together with St. Louis, Cincinnati, Omaha, Dayton....maybe Des Moines, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, that could be alot of TV sets in the midwest

Interesting comments by TT on the blog.....(I am not touching the Relphorde thing anymore)

http://www.stltoday.com/blogzone/billiken-...do-other-notes/

I am thinking that DePaul might be a player in the formation of a new configuration someday....they gotta be getting sick of getting their tails kicked in the BigEast .

Also, the travel for all of their other sports has gotta be expensive with little return other than the table scraps of BCS money they get from a huge conference. Also, they do not have the NCAA tournament money that Marquette has paying their bills...

The Chicago market would go a long way into generating the TV interest that would make a move happen....put it together with St. Louis, Cincinnati, Omaha, Dayton....maybe Des Moines, Detroit, Pittsburgh, Indianapolis, that could be alot of TV sets in the midwest

I am not sure just how much the local Chicago market really cares about DePaul - with NW and IC there there is a lot of other choices for the fans. Their attendance even when we were playing them was not very good either. They have been living off their Coach Meyers - first one - for a long time now. I do agree that they will be a player in any new configuration of confs that take place.

As far as Lowery being their next coach - he had three good years with basically Painter's and Weber's kids. I not an expert on SIUC so I would expect somebody to correct me on this should I be wrong. Also, what has his record been the last 3 years he has been there? - I am not sure they have done all that well so the point is why would DePaul think that he can recruit there with no on campus facility and probably a more difficult academic situation - just asking.

I am not sure just how much the local Chicago market really cares about DePaul - with NW and IC there there is a lot of other choices for the fans. Their attendance even when we were playing them was not very good either. They have been living off their Coach Meyers - first one - for a long time now. I do agree that they will be a player in any new configuration of confs that take place.

As far as Lowery being their next coach - he had three good years with basically Painter's and Weber's kids. I not an expert on SIUC so I would expect somebody to correct me on this should I be wrong. Also, what has his record been the last 3 years he has been there? - I am not sure they have done all that well so the point is why would DePaul think that he can recruit there with no on campus facility and probably a more difficult academic situation - just asking.

No matter who they get for a coach SLU should definitely play De Paul either home and home same season or normal home, away, home, away; yes it

has been many years since they have had a premier team but what a great market less than 300 miles from St. Louis.

Drake 439 miles

Creighton 432 miles

U of Illinois, Champaign 182 miles

Bradley, 170 miles

I would love to see all of these teams on the schedule instead of Savanna St, Kennesaw, etc that Mizzour plays for pre-conference early season warmup and of course we would never play road games of the now "buy" teams. Let us play the best comfpettion we can bood pre conference and try

to win our league each year.

No matter who they get for a coach SLU should definitely play De Paul either home and home same season or normal home, away, home, away; yes it

has been many years since they have had a premier team but what a great market less than 300 miles from St. Louis.

Drake 439 miles

Creighton 432 miles

Bradley, 170 miles

I would love to see all of these teams on the schedule instead of Savanna St, Kennesaw, etc that Mizzour plays for pre-conference early season warmup and of course we would never play road games of the now "buy" teams. Let us play the best comfpettion we can bood pre conference and try

Great post.

Need to bring in the type of teams that you suggest. NOBODY wants to see Savannah St, Keenesaw, but we are all curious how we would stack up against Bradley, Illinois, DePaul, Drake, etc, maybe Evansville, Ia St, K State...

Drake 439 miles

Creighton 432 miles

Bradley, 170 miles

All teams in decent conferences have buy games. I doubt DePaul wants to play us. They have enough trouble winning games in their conference. I don't think they want to tax themselves in the non-conference part of the schedule. As for the other teams you mentioned, I wouldn't mind playing them. I seriously doubt you'll get the Illini to play at the Chaifetz. The only time they've played us here in decades was a neutral site game at the dome. Regional state universities don't seem to have the cajones to come here.

Let's take a look.

Marquette has the largest hoops budget in the 16 team beast of a league. DePaul? Not so much. Marquette has finished no worse than 5th out of 16 each year since entering the league. DePaul? Not so much. This shouldn't go unnoticed. Money matters, as does cooperation, communication and several other things.

DePaul has challenges that go back a long time. Joey Meyer had a lot of trouble getting those local star players admitted to DePaul and he received little to no cooperation before being shown the door. DePaul is a mom and pop operation with several past mistakes to overcome. JW is a good coach, but he wasn't a guy who could do much more with much less.

And we already have the obligatory MB73 response to scheduling. SLU has played the two highest profile area MVC teams this past decade plus and attendance has shown there was no significantly different interest in those games, home or road. One could only imagine the likes of Indiana St. Evansville, etc...playing SLU in terms of interest and attendance. It's been 35 plus years since that brief MVC blip on the radar. But a small few still haven't turned the page, while the majority apparently has as evidence by the attendance home and road for these types of games for SLU.

And we already have the obligatory MB73 response to scheduling. SLU has played the two highest profile area MVC teams this past decade plus and attendance has shown there was no significantly different interest in those games, home or road. One could only imagine the likes of Indiana St. Evansville, etc...playing SLU in terms of interest and attendance. It's been 35 plus years since that brief MVC blip on the radar. But a small few still haven't turned the page, while the majority apparently has as evidence by the attendance home and road for these types of games for SLU.

mb73 wrote that he'd like to see how we'd stack up against certain teams. While he did mention 3 MVC schools, he also mentioned DePaul, Iowa State, Kansas St. and Illinois. I'm not really sure it warranted one of your canned, anti-mvc posts. Is there something I'm missing here? Is mb73 an mvc proponent or something?

mb73 wrote that he'd like to see how we'd stack up against certain teams. While he did mention 3 MVC schools, he also mentioned DePaul, Iowa State, Kansas St. and Illinois. I'm not really sure it warranted one of your canned, anti-mvc posts. Is there something I'm missing here? Is mb73 an mvc proponent or something?

Kstate is a six hour drive nearly 400 miles and while I like playing them we did have some history with games with U of Illinois and even if we own

Chaifetz if we can draw 20 to 25, 000 we could play at the Ed Jones Dome as we did before and we sold a lot of tickets.

I don't think I intended to start an MVC dialogue by mentioning Savannah St and Kennesaw

Yes.

A brief recent or distant search would answer your question and then some.

Another posted suggested that MB73 was a student during that brief MVC blip and that explains the nostalgia for that poster.

SLU or any other school will always have buy games. SLU does need to keep trying to schedule as best as they can, but there is no extra interest from the majority in the MVC games.

The bigger lesson learned in the DePaul thread are the mistakes DePaul has made over a long period of time as a program in comparison with their peers. I'm always a proponent of BCS opponents as in any given year such an opponent can and do pull off some conference wins.

Kstate is a six hour drive nearly 400 miles and while I like playing them we did have some history with games with U of Illinois and even if we own

Chaifetz if we can draw 20 to 25, 000 we could play at the Ed Jones Dome as we did before and we sold a lot of tickets.

I don't think I intended to start an MVC dialogue by mentioning Savannah St and Kennesaw

I really have little interest in giving up the home court advantage - being familiar with the venue - for any game. Playing at the Dome or Scott Trade defeats that advantage. We play in Chaifetz or not at all.

I really have little interest in giving up the home court advantage - being familiar with the venue - for any game. Playing at the Dome or Scott Trade defeats that advantage. We play in Chaifetz or not at all.

I'm with you. The dome is better than being on the road, but not the same thing as playing a home game. Playing one game in Champaign and one at the dome is NOT a home and home.

Yes.

A brief recent or distant search would answer your question and then some.

Another posted suggested that MB73 was a student during that brief MVC blip and that explains the nostalgia for that poster.

SLU or any other school will always have buy games. SLU does need to keep trying to schedule as best as they can, but there is no extra interest from the majority in the MVC games.

The bigger lesson learned in the DePaul thread are the mistakes DePaul has made over a long period of time as a program in comparison with their peers. I'm always a proponent of BCS opponents as in any given year such an opponent can and do pull off some conference wins.

I'm not really interested enough to search for who might have mvc leanings. I'll leave that to the mvc/mizzou inquisitors. ;) In and of itself, his post made no mention of attendance. He simpy mentioned teams he'd like to see. You omitted the Big East, Big 12, and Big 10 teams that he also mentioned. If his post were "I think we'd have better attendance against these teams" I could maybe understand your reply.

In any case, I certainly didn't think it warranted jumping all over him.

The mvc dialouge was started by someone who was reading way too much into the thread, IMO. You certainly didn't start anything like that.

DePaul needs to find a better place to play at. All State is a 30-40 minute drive from the campus with no good public transit options to get you there. It is also a building way past its prime.

DePaul missed out on opportunities previously to make something happen near campus. That cost and time now would be very expensive and long. Recent discussions have even included sharing an Arena with another local school.

DePaul wouldn't admit many of Joey Meyer's local recruits and burned many bridges in the Chicago area. Opportunities missed on an Arena. Real estate is expensive and hard to come by. DePaul was unable to keep their more successful recent coach, another missed opportunity. They countered with a local ties guy who would treat it as a destination job. However he wasn't able to do a lot more with a lot less. They'll need a coach who can do more with less to get them going and make a unified commitment to a competitive program. DePaul is not committed to having a successful men's basketball program. This is from the top down.

I'm not really interested enough to search for who might have mvc leanings. I'll leave that to the mvc/mizzou inquisitors. ;) In and of itself, his post made no mention of attendance. He simpy mentioned teams he'd like to see. You omitted the Big East, Big 12, and Big 10 teams that he also mentioned. If his post were "I think we'd have better attendance against these teams" I could maybe understand your reply.

In any case, I certainly didn't think it warranted jumping all over him.

Try the search button.

Also MB73 said "We are all curious..." And that's incorrect. We aren't all curious or interested in seeing the likes of some of those teams mentioned. I'm not.

Had this poster spoke for himself that would be different. It's a continued theme on here.

Now Footes is you want to talk DePaul...I'll continue read on.

I am not sure just how much the local Chicago market really cares about DePaul - with NW and IC there there is a lot of other choices for the fans.

It's not just DePaul, no one cares about UIC or NU hoops either. NU will make some buzz this year because they are playing better, have never made 'the tournament', and have overcome losing their best player. Even so, none of those teams draw any serious interest from the general Chicago population. Chicago is a pro sports city with little ties to any Chicago college athletics. You'll find far more Illini fans than DePaul, UIC, and NU fans combined I bet.

Try the search button.

Also MB73 said "We are all curious..." And that's incorrect. We aren't all curious or interested in seeing the likes of some of those teams mentioned. I'm not.

Had this poster spoke for himself that would be different. It's a continued theme on here.

Now Footes is you want to talk DePaul...I'll continue read on.

sorry, I don't choose to "research" this topic. I'll let you be the enforcer here! IMO you jumped all over the guy for no good reason in this case and hijacked this thread into an anti-mvc rant...forcing the guy who started the thread to feel like he had to apologize.

I'm not that interested in DePaul...it would kill our rpi. ;)

sorry, I don't choose to "research" this topic. I'll let you be the enforcer here! IMO you jumped all over the guy for no good reason in this case and hijacked this thread into an anti-mvc rant...forcing the guy who started the thread to feel like he had to apologize.

I'm not that interested in DePaul...it would kill our rpi. :(

I discussed DePaul in every post in this thread. I responded to two previous posters going down an MVC path so that the thread would remain about DePaul.

DePaul missed out on opportunities previously to make something happen near campus. That cost and time now would be very expensive and long. Recent discussions have even included sharing an Arena with another local school.

DePaul wouldn't admit many of Joey Meyer's local recruits and burned many bridges in the Chicago area. Opportunities missed on an Arena. Real estate is expensive and hard to come by. DePaul was unable to keep their more successful recent coach, another missed opportunity. They countered with a local ties guy who would treat it as a destination job. However he wasn't able to do a lot more with a lot less. They'll need a coach who can do more with less to get them going and make a unified commitment to a competitive program. DePaul is not committed to having a successful men's basketball program. This is from the top down.

Joey Meyer was a good recruiter, but a terrible coach. We always had a chance to beat the more talented DePaul teams thanks to Joey.

I discussed DePaul in every post in this thread. I responded to two previous posters going down an MVC path so that the thread would remain about DePaul.

The first person to use "mvc" in this thread was you. Then you pasted in your standard "i hate the mvc" post. Seriously, have you been appointed the anti-mvc watchdog for the board? I always love the self-appointed enforcers around here. You all (the 2 or 3 of you) know who you are.

I'm with you. The dome is better than being on the road, but not the same thing as playing a home game. Playing one game in Champaign and one at the dome is NOT a home and home.

no, it isn't but we could play at UIC one game in Chicago and the next in St. Louis @ Ed Jones Dome-they would both be somewhat neutral

or we could try and do the home and away deal but we would be giving up 15-20,000 extra ticket sales, hopefully

no, it isn't but we could play at UIC one game in Chicago and the next in St. Louis @ Ed Jones Dome-they would both be somewhat neutral

or we could try and do the home and away deal but we would be giving up 15-20,000 extra ticket sales, hopefully

You really think a UIC game would draw 25-30K at the dome? Why do you think that many people would care about UIC. Come to think of it, why would people in Chicago care to see SLU in some sort of neutral site game?

Keenesaw State, Savannah State, Miss Valley State, UMKC, etc, have been scheduled to get some wins, get some work for our mediocre team over the yrs.

Take a guest to a game, and tell them we're playing Keenesaw State?

I think with Majerus and much better talent, it would be good to schedule some teams that are more competitive and also "identifiable".

SO I think we should start playing some teams like DePaul, Iowa St, K St, Bradley, Butler, Drake, etc.

Example, I like that we played Nebraska last 2 yrs, for instance. Big 12 team! Midwest!

Take us to the next level in our non confernce schedule; not big time yet, no KU, Marquette, Memphis State... and MU wont play us.

You really think a UIC game would draw 25-30K at the dome? Why do you think that many people would care about UIC. Come to think of it, why would people in Chicago care to see SLU in some sort of neutral site game?

sorry I assumed you remembered we just played in a tournament with NWU, ND, Iowa State, Georgia at the UIC arena which is near the loop and

Greek Town; I also assumed you read my earlier post saying I want to play U of ILL-Champaiign in somewhat neutral setting with more capacity as

we had played them at the Ed Jones Dome now more than 10 years ago and we could play at UIC as their neutral site-assuming most Chicagoans

would like to see U of ILL-Champaign against any one- we possibly could draw much more than 10,600 at Chaifetz so we would move where we drew lots more in past.

Home and Home at campus sites would be less complicated to produce; but we sure would be penalized for our small arena at Chaifetz and I know

they would be tempted to make it a premium game and charge more per ticket