Heights

During the broadcast, Rammer talked about how Willie Reed is the biggest 6-9 player he's ever seen (implying that he looks taller). He supported his point by saying that EIU's 6-8 player was the same height as Conklin (whom SLU lists as 6-6). Reed is effectively 6-10 or 6-11.

I remember when Thompson and Reed signed there was talk about SLU having 2 guys who could be 7 feet tall with Thompson already there and Reed being 6-11 and growing. It has long been known that Rick lists the heights of players less than what others usually list. I think it is probably the difference between shoes and no shoes. Rick lists without shoes, so they are 1 to 2 inches "shorter" and most others list with shoes so they are "taller." I think I'd rather have teams look at our roster and think they have a height advantage and then not have it than have it the other way around. Therefore I don't mind Rick's heights being a bit "shorter."

During the broadcast, Rammer talked about how Willie Reed is the biggest 6-9 player he's ever seen (implying that he looks taller). He supported his point by saying that EIU's 6-8 player was the same height as Conklin (whom SLU lists as 6-6). Reed is effectively 6-10 or 6-11.

Yes Majerus seems to shrink the players for the roster. Justin Jordan is listed at 5-9 and Eastern Ilinois player must have been two or three inches shorter but was listed at 5-10. I wonder about the psychological effect that has on other teams?

it may seem that way but i think rickma insists on accurate heights and most other schools bump it up an inch or two... reed is 6'9" and i think rammer was saying that he just plays biggger... he's really long and has mad ups

Conklin always looks about the same size at the other teams guys who are listed at 6'8". Number 21 for EI tonight was listed at 6'8" and Conklin was clearly as tall as he was. Willie was at least 3 inches taller. My guess is that many teams list their players at a height that is a little generous-and our guys are an inch or two short of their real height. Maybe the other teams list the height in shoes. Another person who stands out is Femi. He is listed at 6'2" but if you look at him when he is defending a guy on another team who is listed as 6'5" he is very close to the same height.

Every year when the NBA draft camps are held a lot of players are much shorter than their college listed heights and a few are actually taller.

I remember when Thompson and Reed signed there was talk about SLU having 2 guys who could be 7 feet tall with Thompson already there and Reed being 6-11 and growing. It has long been known that Rick lists the heights of players less than what others usually list. I think it is probably the difference between shoes and no shoes. Rick lists without shoes, so they are 1 to 2 inches "shorter" and most others list with shoes so they are "taller." I think I'd rather have teams look at our roster and think they have a height advantage and then not have it than have it the other way around. Therefore I don't mind Rick's heights being a bit "shorter."

it may seem that way but i think rickma insists on accurate heights and most other schools bump it up an inch or two... reed is 6'9" and i think rammer was saying that he just plays biggger... he's really long and has mad ups

Conklin always looks about the same size at the other teams guys who are listed at 6'8". Number 21 for EI tonight was listed at 6'8" and Conklin was clearly as tall as he was. Willie was at least 3 inches taller. My guess is that many teams list their players at a height that is a little generous-and our guys are an inch or two short of their real height. Maybe the other teams list the height in shoes. Another person who stands out is Femi. He is listed at 6'2" but if you look at him when he is defending a guy on another team who is listed as 6'5" he is very close to the same height.

Every year when the NBA draft camps are held a lot of players are much shorter than their college listed heights and a few are actually taller.

Yeah, I wrote about all that in a post less than a week ago, and I was just reemphasizing it.

On any other team, most of the guys would be an inch to 2 inches taller. Didn't Van Horn grow at the NBA draft camp when he was measured? I think I remember that. I wonder if this is something to make upcoming opponents think we are shorter than we really are. Obviously, everybody is going to scout you and know how you play, but maybe they think they can emphasize getting the ball inside against a shorter team and then play us and realize they cannot.