Update on recruitment of Anthony D

Guest BillikenReport

And I trust Major Majerus and Orange Julius ... so if they are saying that the kid still has an offer, I would not be surprised.

You'd be the one to know. I still can't believe Admin would allow it and subject the school to such notoriety. Think about the big time old fashioned conservative types who make up the bulk of our donors.... "You gave a full ride to an armed bank robber?" No... I don't see it happening.

You'd be the one to know. I still can't believe Admin would allow it and subject the school to such notoriety. Think about the big time old fashioned conservative types who make up the bulk of our donors.... "You gave a full ride to an armed bank robber?" No... I don't see it happening.

when I lived in Detroit the Tigers took a kid from prison to rehab and he started center field for a few years; Detroit has a certain element rougher than St. Louis maybe equivalent to E. St. Louis and Washington Park. Anyway when his contract came up he had a Scott Boras type agent who had forgotten what the Tigers did for this young man, Ron Le Flore. So they did not renew and no one else picked him up and he was

soon out of baseball. That was the closest I ever saw to a team actually helping an individual because he had talent to play ball. The rest of the time it seems the players don't last and being in a school environment is not the answer.

I just checked with my inside source. Thereis no offer and will there will be no offer to this kid. He will not be a Billiken no matter what the outcome of his court case is.

Why can't we just sit back and relax and quit trying to find something wrong with everything. Time will tell us who was right. I totally trust my source. They definitely know what is going on.

I just checked with my inside source. Thereis no offer and will there will be no offer to this kid. He will not be a Billiken no matter what the outcome of his court case is.

Why can't we just sit back and relax and quit trying to find something wrong with everything. Time will tell us who was right. I totally trust my source. They definitely know what is going on.

Any werewolf rumblings??? Seriously. ;)

when I lived in Detroit the Tigers took a kid from prison to rehab and he started center field for a few years; Detroit has a certain element rougher than St. Louis maybe equivalent to E. St. Louis and Washington Park. Anyway when his contract came up he had a Scott Boras type agent who had forgotten what the Tigers did for this young man, Ron Le Flore. So they did not renew and no one else picked him up and he was

soon out of baseball. That was the closest I ever saw to a team actually helping an individual because he had talent to play ball. The rest of the time it seems the players don't last and being in a school environment is not the answer.

I remember Ron LeFlore. Didn't he go on to play for the White Sox for a couple of years? I may be wrong. But a good example in a world full of them these days; Plaxico (I'm a devout NYG fan), Vick, the kid who just took a scholie with Tennessee football, a convicted rapist at age 13, but who seems to have turned his life around according to Kiffin.

this is good to know. maybe saint louis university is taking back some much needed control over certain aspects of our program. i am certain had this been run by the higher ups, the recruiting and subsequent "offer" would have never occurred in the first place.

let's move on and hope our staff has learned what a slu student athlete should be for future reference.

I remember Ron LeFlore. Didn't he go on to play for the White Sox for a couple of years? I may be wrong. But a good example in a world full of them these days; Plaxico (I'm a devout NYG fan), Vick, the kid who just took a scholie with Tennessee football, a convicted rapist at age 13, but who seems to have turned his life around according to Kiffin.

The difference with LeFlore is that he served the time and demonstrated rehabilitation. He didn't have a contract when there were charges pending. It seems strange to me to make an offer to someone who may have felony charges pending.

this is good to know. maybe saint louis university is taking back some much needed control over certain aspects of our program. i am certain had this been run by the higher ups, the recruiting and subsequent "offer" would have never occurred in the first place.

let's move on and hope our staff has learned what a slu student athlete should be for future reference.

Broy can you explain the "much needed control over certain aspects" statement? Until the John Dillinger popped up, it seems RM's done everything by the book in terms of the type of student athletes SLU would like to have represent the school. And it would still be good to hear from someone as to what kind of thought process went into making the offer in the first place, if indeed there was one made. Again, this story seems to bizzare to be true. The risk reward factor is too far out of whack. By that I mean, there was little to gain by taking on a Cal Poly recruit with some very serious baggage. If he had been the next coming of Bell Walton, one might at least see some logic to it all, and I'm not advocating we start signing 5 star armed wheel men either. Let Calipari have them. One other thought, I can't believe no one in the local media has picked up on this if it truly happened. This would have to be front sports page fodder, headline: "MAJERUS NABS 7' ALLEGED ARMED ROBBER FOR BILLIKENS!"

Broy can you explain the "much needed control over certain aspects" statement? Until the John Dillinger popped up, it seems RM's done everything by the book in terms of the type of student athletes SLU would like to have represent the school. And it would still be good to hear from someone as to what kind of thought process went into making the offer in the first place, if indeed there was one made. Again, this story seems to bizzare to be true. The risk reward factor is too far out of whack. By that I mean, there was little to gain by taking on a Cal Poly recruit with some very serious baggage. If he had been the next coming of Bell Walton, one might at least see some logic to it all, and I'm not advocating we start signing 5 star armed wheel men either. Let Calipari have them. One other thought, I can't believe no one in the local media has picked up on this if it truly happened. This would have to be front sports page fodder, headline: "MAJERUS NABS 7' ALLEGED ARMED ROBBER FOR BILLIKENS!"

But I thought the Post hated SLU and loved Mizzou? The Post has run numerous articles critical of Missouri. I guess the Sports Department is filled with Billiken alums, this could be the only reason why this hasn't received a mention.

Roy - I think you are confusing what Billiken Bob said. He seems to be saying there is no offer and has never been an offer.

Good story - and point taken - but a bit embellished. Detroit actually traded Ron to the Expos, where he was a success in his only season in Montreal. He then spent a few more years with the White Sox.

One other thought, I can't believe no one in the local media has picked up on this if it truly happened.

Probably because there is so much heresay and this "possible recruitment" is in such an early phase. To me, this is such a non-issue. We are probably recruiting 100's of kids. This business of "does he have an offer" or "does he not have an offer", it just is very unreliable on any kid in the early stages. Now I or the media have to care about 1 of the 100 kids that we are RUMORED to be recruiting because he could be a fellon. I think I will just wait until something more concrete happens until I start yelling and pounding my chest.

I am not an insider, but it sounds like all this crap about the coaching staff and administration butting heads is just propaganda from people who have a hidden agenda. Nobody knows what really is going on, so people can spin it any way they like.

Good story - and point taken - but a bit embellished. Detroit actually traded Ron to the Expos, where he was a success in his only season in Montreal. He then spent a few more years with the White Sox.

You are right! He was on talk shows in Detroit and nationally and celebrated like father Dismas Clark our famous Jesuit who turned criminals into productive men in industry. At the time Montreal had a team and it was like being exiled to Siberia if you wanted to see yourself in the sports page this was not a promotion.