U-News: New recruits bolster roster

New recruits bolster roster

Derrick Neuner

Issue date: 4/30/09

When Rick Majerus came to Saint Louis University almost two years ago, he was handed a team he didn't recruit, a team that hadn't seen the NCAA tournament in eight years: a team that didn't have a facility of its own.

All that is changing.

Head Coach Majerus has already added six new players to the SLU roster. But next year, he will have a team that must play without Kevin Lisch, Tommie Liddell III and Barry Eberhardt.

"It's going to be tough without them here next year," Majerus said. "Kevin was our best scorer and defender. Tommie was a good rebounder. Barry gave us some experience … there's a void we need to fill."

Majerus, who is currently traveling the country scouting recruits, said the Billikens had a "great year last year," but admitted that the team will have to mature, both physically and emotionally. Next season looms large with a major setback - Saint Louis will have the youngest team in the United States.

"It's going to be a bumpy ride. … I'll have the youngest team period," Majerus said. "We didn't want that, but, in this academic environment, we can't bring in junior college guys and we had a situation where we let some guys go [from the Sodernberg era] and couldn't fill all the scholarships."

Despite the age factor, SLU could be a contender as they add five new recruits in the fall. Cody Ellis (6'8" forward; Institute of Sport, Australia), Jeff Reid (6'5" forward; Topeka, Kan.), Cory Remekun (6'8" post; Mesquite, Texas), Jon Smith (6'7" forward; Grove City, Ohio), and Christian Salechich (6'4" forward; Institute of Sport, Australia) have all signed their National Letter of Intent.

Majerus said, "Cody is a tough kid. He's a smart player; the game makes sense to him. … Cory may redshirt. He has a nice touch with the ball, but will have to make the adjustment from center to forward. … Christian is a very good defender, a good passer, and a good shooter. He's a cerebral player. … Jon Smith is a good athlete. He's a good competitor, but he'll also have to make an adjustment to a 3-man forward."

Femi John, who redshirted his freshman year, will also make the start for the Billikens. Majerus said the coaches are "excited about him" and think he'll bring stability to the game on the court. "I think it'll be fun for the students to see us grow and develop," Majerus said. "I think next year will give a good glimpse to the future."

The Billikens will need to grow-and fast. They will face Notre Dame, Nebraska and Iowa State, among others, as part of their non-conference play.

"People think we're going to be good," Majerus said. "I feel good about this team. Give me any BCS school and I'll play them."

New recruits bolster roster

Derrick Neuner

Issue date: 4/30/09

Majerus, who is currently traveling the country scouting recruits, said the Billikens had a "great year last year," but admitted that the team will have to mature, both physically and emotionally. Next season looms large with a major setback - Saint Louis will have the youngest team in the United States.

"People think we're going to be good," Majerus said. "I feel good about this team. Give me any BCS school and I'll play them."

I'm not really sure I would say we had a "great" season last year. On the right track maybe, but not "great".

I hope RM has a few BCS teams on the schedule next year.

I'm not really sure I would say we had a "great" season last year. On the right track maybe, but not "great".

I hope RM has a few BCS teams on the schedule next year.

ND and Iowa State? Where did that come from.... and when?

ND and Iowa State? Where did that come from.... and when?

In the tournament in Chicago that we are apparently playing in. Northwestern is apparently also in it.

So our schedule so far to my knowledge:

Notre Dame (part of a tourney)

Iowa State (part of a tourney)

Nebraska (at home)

Missouri State (at home)

SIU (at home)

Belmont (at home)

So that's 6 games, basically half of our noncon schedule. Northwestern is also in the same tourney but I don't know if we would play them. I would imagine at least 4 or 5 buy games. I can't speculate anymore teams we would play though. We don't have any more home and home series, so we can basically play anyone. I think we will have a game at an east or west coast school, just a hunch though. RM wants to play more BCS schools, so hopefully we get one or two more of them on the schedule. It's just a matter of getting the games.

Guest BillikenReport

Despite the age factor, SLU could be a contender as they add five new recruits in the fall. Cody Ellis (6'8" forward; Institute of Sport, Australia), Jeff Reid (6'5" forward; Topeka, Kan.), Cory Remekun (6'8" post; Mesquite, Texas), Jon Smith (6'7" forward; Grove City, Ohio), and Christian Salechich (6'4" forward; Institute of Sport, Australia) have all signed their National Letter of Intent.

It is Salecich, though I believe it is pronounced Salechich.

He's also a guard no?

I got a kick out of this one. It is hard now that we are getting guards that are this tall. More like some of our former power forwards.

:angry::lol::lol:

not sure if i'm reading this correctly. does this mean femi will start?

"will also make the start for the Billikens"

The way Coach Majerus explained it to me, yes. Now, will that change? With him, God only knows. But as of the day of the interview, I think he has every intention of starting Femi, or at least putting him in a "starting rotation." That would actually be an interesting conversation to have with him: who exactly gets the start and will he go with a set lineup? I would guess no, but again, it's Majerus, so who knows?

The way Coach Majerus explained it to me, yes. Now, will that change? With him, God only knows. But as of the day of the interview, I think he has every intention of starting Femi, or at least putting him in a "starting rotation." That would actually be an interesting conversation to have with him: who exactly gets the start and will he go with a set lineup? I would guess no, but again, it's Majerus, so who knows?

If that does happen, just thought i'd point out that i've been saying that for a few months now :angry:

Seriously though, i was most suprised by the quote saying Remekum "MAY redshirt". I think we all assumed that was a done deal. Thanks for the article...keep 'em coming.

Guest BillikenReport

Seriously though, i was most suprised by the quote saying Remekum "MAY redshirt". I think we all assumed that was a done deal. Thanks for the article...keep 'em coming.

But its not like the Billikens have several players who are 6-feet-8 and specialize in blocking shots and rebounding.

At this time last year most everyone was wondering whether Willie would qualify and if so, would his lack of weight, strength and experience keep him from being a contributor and playing significant minutes. During the season he proved he could contribute on the boards and with blocking shots and he started earning more and more minutes.

If Remekun is like a shorter version of Willie, which is possible, I could definitely see him earning playing time as a freshman.

Also, if that is the case, there are going to be some battles for playing time.

In the tournament in Chicago that we are apparently playing in. Northwestern is apparently also in it.

So our schedule so far to my knowledge:

Notre Dame (part of a tourney)

Iowa State (part of a tourney)

Nebraska (at home)

Missouri State (at home)

SIU (at home)

Belmont (at home)

So that's 6 games, basically half of our noncon schedule. Northwestern is also in the same tourney but I don't know if we would play them. I would imagine at least 4 or 5 buy games. I can't speculate anymore teams we would play though. We don't have any more home and home series, so we can basically play anyone. I think we will have a game at an east or west coast school, just a hunch though. RM wants to play more BCS schools, so hopefully we get one or two more of them on the schedule. It's just a matter of getting the games.

So there's 1 home game against a BCS school. Just to be clear, I'd also like to see top 100-type programs. They don't have to be BCS (although most top 100 will be).

So there's 1 home game against a BCS school. Just to be clear, I'd also like to see top 100-type programs. They don't have to be BCS (although most top 100 will be).

Personally, I'd like one more BCS school and then as many quality midmajors as we can fit on the schedule. Kent St, Gonzaga (though it's arguable whether they're midmajor anymore), Creighton, Siena... those would be good schools to play.

I take it then that Femi is recovering nicely from knee surgery. Perhaps just scoped He's a big physical guard who can help on the boards from the 3. I hope he has been working on his shot during the redshirt year. I like everything about his game but the jumper. I wonder who starts at 2? Gotta get a shooter into the lineup somewhere.

Guest BillikenReport

I take it then that Femi is recovering nicely from knee surgery. Perhaps just scoped He's a big physical guard who can help on the boards from the 3. I hope he has been working on his shot during the redshirt year. I like everything about his game but the jumper. I wonder who starts at 2? Gotta get a shooter into the lineup somewhere.

It was his knee cap.

Personally, I'd like one more BCS school and then as many quality midmajors as we can fit on the schedule. Kent St, Gonzaga (though it's arguable whether they're midmajor anymore), Creighton, Siena... those would be good schools to play.

On the radio, Chris May recently said that they are very close to landing a quality home and home opponent where the Bills would go on the road first and then return the game to SLU the following year.

On the radio, Chris May recently said that they are very close to landing a quality home and home opponent where the Bills would go on the road first and then return the game to SLU the following year.

They could even add a H & H with Marcus Relphord's new Big 12 team

And then we could quiet a certain segment that say he was let go prematurely.

He could develop a shot but how could this kid consider himself a guard as someone recently

Quoted here; he spent nearly all of his playing time for us with his back to the basket