pf

he went to Bradley from high school and all the articles say he left the program to go back home because he couldn't deal with being away from his family and making the adjustsments to being away. i would think had a lot to do with this age. Articles say he is a decent 6'8" power forward with a decent inside game.

Schlagle MAY have been the school where Jamal Walker is/was an assistant at.

tisby is the guy we really want for this last scholarship. he sounds like a perfect fit academically and judging by the comments i read from his high school clippings and his current juco performances and the bradley days, he is the long lean explosive athlete we have been wondering "where they at?" brad, go get this guy!

I vaguely recalled a hubbub with Bradley and tampering a few years ago. It was with Tisby's teammates but there was a lot of transfers when Bradley brought in a new coach, Jim Les. It certainly would not be unusual for anyone to leave with all that turmoil.

'Zero Tampering,' McKay Says

BYLINE: Mark Smith (Albequerque Journal Staff Writer)

Bradley University has filed an official complaint with the NCAA against the University of New Mexico men's basketball program for tampering with transfer Danny Granger.

It's the second such allegation that Bradley has made in less than a year, filing a similar charge against Wisconsin-Milwaukee last spring.

At a Friday evening news conference, in which there were some contradictions of previous statements, UNM coach Ritchie McKay said, "There's been zero tampering with Danny Granger.

"All I can say to Bradley is if that's something they want to pursue, we're ready to turn over whatever we need to do so in order to defend our institution and the process."

Granger, a 6-foot, 8-inch, 215-pound sophomore who averaged 19.2 points and 7.9 rebounds a game this season, arrived in Albuquerque on Friday registering for school on the final day allotted this semester.

Granger and UNM assistant coach Duane Broussard arrived at practice around 4:30 p.m. Friday in the Pit, 90 minutes after it began.

Because Bradley refused to grant Granger a scholarship release, he has to pay his own way this semester.

Out-of-state tuition and fees are approximately $5,700 for a semester.

In the fall, Granger will fill the Lobos' last of five scholarships for the 2003-04 season. He'll become eligible in the second semester and has a year-and-a-half of eligibility remaining.

Granger, who joined Broussard and McKay at Friday's news conference, said he has been "overwhelmed," which is why he said he has made false statements.

"I told one reporter I wanted to go to school closer to home," Granger said. "That wasn't the case.

"I told one reporter here, I'd been to Albuquerque before when I hadn't. It was just to get some of the attention off of me because I wasn't prepared for the whole thing."

Bradley athletic director Ken Kavanagh is livid. He told the Peoria (Ill.) Journal Star that Granger "is not getting a release. There is no way."

Kavanagh also told the newspaper he sent an official complaint to the NCAA, accusing UNM of tampering.

The NCAA said it cannot confirm or deny any allegations made by a university.

Laronica Conway, NCAA assistant director of public relations, wouldn't list any possible penalties for a school found guilty of such a charge.

"Every case has to be looked at individually," she said.

Kavanagh's main complaint is that Broussard recruited Granger to Bradley two years ago, and Kavanagh feels Broussard tried to entice Granger to transfer.

Broussard was an assistant at Bradley for eight years until joining McKay last spring.

When reached by the Albuquerque Journal on Friday, Kavanagh said he stood behind his statements but refused further comment.

"I won't speak to any media outside of Peoria," he said.

The tampering charge isn't the first filed by Bradley since Jim Les was named head coach last spring. Journal Star reporter Dave Reynolds said an NCAA case still is pending concerning former Bradley player Joah Tucker.

"He still hasn't gotten his release," Reynolds said of Tucker. "The school hasn't heard the result of that."

Tucker and Antoine Tisby quit the team following their freshman seasons last year when Les was named coach. Tisby did receive a release.

Stevan Marcetic, a freshman this season, quit the team recently after playing just 17 seconds all season. He transferred to Cornell and was released by Bradley.

Schools can't communicate with a player under scholarship at another school, regardless of who originates the contact, unless granted permission from the student's athletic director, according to Conway.

At the news conference, Broussard said, "I haven't had any contact with (Granger). As a matter of fact, I got wind of all this because I had talked to a friend of mine from the institution I used to work at."

McKay said Broussard "still keeps in touch" with former players, but "he's told me about some of those conversations, and not one was about recruiting."

McKay said, to his understanding, that coaches can speak with a former player under scholarship at another school "if you're not talking about recruiting to him and you're staying in touch with him for reasons because of your genuine concern for him.

"If you're trying to get him to leave the university, it's tampering."