OCC Done

Taj79

Looking back at names discussed on here that "got away" from home to play ball:

Brandenburg, Virginia ...... 3 GP, averaging 3.3 minutes per game, 1.3 points per game and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Swopeshire, Louisville .... 12 GP, averaging 7.3 mpg, 2.3 ppg and 1.8 rpg.

Goode, Louisville ..... 12 GP, 8.8 mpg, 1.8 ppg and 1.8 rpg.

Releford, Kansas ..... 13 GP, 7.6 mpg, 3.5 ppg and 1.8 rpg.

Lawrence, Missouri .... 14 GP, 19.6 mpg, 9.3 ppg and 2.2 rpg.

Roth, Indiana ..... 13 GP, 19.6 mpg, 5.6 ppg and 1.3 rpg.

Leuer, Wisconsin ..... 14 GP, 18.8 mpg, 9.5 ppg and 3.8 rpg.

Williams, SIU-E ..... 9 GP, 14.0 mpg, 2.9 ppg and 2.8 rpg.

Evans, UWGB ..... 15 GP, 33 mpg, 10.0 ppg and 5.4 rpg (assuming this was the kid from Cardinal Ritter).

Averkamp, UWM ..... 14 GP, 7 mpg, 1.3 ppg and 1.0 rpg.

Soderberg, Miami (OH) ... 11 GP, 9.1 mpg, 2.2 ppg and 0.5 rpg.

Kowal, No. Ill ........ 12 GP, 27.3 mpg, 10.3 ppg and 5.3 rpg (originally signed with Colorado if I recall -- 3rd year sophomore)

Shipley, Ill St ...... 11 GP, 5.0 mpg, 3.2 ppg, and 0.6 rpg.

Bobby Hill, Ill St ... listed as junior on roster but no game stats

Hobbs, Mo State ... 4 GP, 13.0 mpg, 2.0 ppg and 0.5 rpg.

O'Rear, No Iowa .... 10 GP, 18.9 mpg, 3.7 ppg and 3.9 rpg.

James, No Iowa .... 1 GP, 7.0 mpg, 2.0 ppg and 0.0 rpg.

Booker, SIU .... 13 GP, 11.8 mpg, 2.3 ppg and 2.8 rpg.

Roundtree, SIU .... 11 GP, 11.8 mpg, 1.2 ppg, 1.7 rpg and 0.8 apg.

Griskenas, Wichita .... 10 GP, 6.8 ppg, 1.6 ppg, and 1.3 rpg (was this the Lituanian kid we talked about a few years ago? He's a senior at Wichita State).

Johnny Hill, SEMO .... 12 GP, 27.8 mpg, 6.8 ppg and 3.9 rpg.

Abdul-Hamid, UCLA ..... 2GP, 1.0 mpg both scoreless and reboundless to date.

Dentmon, Washington ... 13 GP, 25.8 mpg, 12.8 ppg and 2.5 rpg.

Suggs, Washington ... 9 GP, 5.2 mpg, 1.0 ppg and 0.3 rpg.

Hansbrough, UNC .... 10 GP, 28.0 mpg, 22.8 ppg and 7.2 rpg.

Hansbrough, ND ..... same as Boby Hill at Ill St -- llisted as junior on roster but no stats.

Tyus, Florida .... 14 GP, 25.8 mpg, 13.6 ppg and 6.6 rpg.

Swansey, Georgia ....13 GP, 25.5 mpg, 6.8 ppg, 3.0 rpg and 4.4 apg.

Peterson, Iowa ... 15 GP, 30.9 mpg, 10.1 ppg, 2.1 rpg and 4.0 apg.

Cole, Iowa ..... 15 GP, 9.8 mpg, 1.1 ppg and 1.3 rpg.

Harrelson, Kentucky .. 15 GP, 12.9 mpg, 5.9 ppg and 3.8 rpg.

Tabb, Tennessee .... 11 GP, 19.5 mpg, 4.0 ppg and 2.0 rpg.

Plackemeier, IPFW ..... 15 GP, 30.9 mpg, 6.9 ppg, 3.3 rpg and 2.9 apg.

Obie Ikeakor, UNO ... 13 GP, 10.5 mpg, 2.6 ppg and 1.5 rpg (at least he's getting off the bench 10 minutes a night!).

Out of all this, I still wish we could have signed the Peterson kid that went to Iowa. Not that this says much of anything but no one is lighting it up much outside of Psycho T and Tyus. Leuer and Lawrence might have been good additions. Kowal is posting much better numbers at Northern Illinois than he ever did at Colorado. Plackmeier, Dentmon, Tabb and Swansey all contribute. Didn't see Dixon anywhere out there.

Maguire has started all 12 games at NKU and leads the team in minutes per game at 27 and ppg at 15.0. He's also fourth in reboundinga t 4.3 per game. Outside of games against Louisville and Cincinnati, NKU has played the likes of Kentucky Wesleyan, Bellarmine, Saginaw Valley State, Urbana, University of Indianapolis and other top tier programs.

I am guessing that this Missouri S & T that Knollmeyer is at is what I used to call Missouri-Rolla, yes? I found Horace Dixon on a web page that said in 2008 he was at Angelina CC in Lufkin, Texas. It also said that he committed to Houston with a signed LOI on January 21 of 2008. But he's not on the current roster so I guess he failed to check in when the semester started. I checked the SWIC roster and saw Kenny Leverette is there. No Anthony Mitchell --- where did he end up? How about Relaphorde? Refresh my memories on them.

I harbor no ill will to any of the players above; I just think its interesting to see what others are doing elsewhere.

Brandenburg, Virginia ...... 3 GP, averaging 3.3 minutes per game, 1.3 points per game and 1.3 rebounds per game.

Evans, UWGB ..... 15 GP, 33 mpg, 10.0 ppg and 5.4 rpg (assuming this was the kid from Cardinal Ritter).

Kowal, No. Ill ........ 12 GP, 27.3 mpg, 10.3 ppg and 5.3 rpg (originally signed with Colorado if I recall -- 3rd year sophomore)

Griskenas, Wichita .... 10 GP, 6.8 ppg, 1.6 ppg, and 1.3 rpg (was this the Lituanian kid we talked about a few years ago? He's a senior at Wichita State).

Hansbrough, ND ..... same as Boby Hill at Ill St -- llisted as junior on roster but no stats.

Obie Ikeakor, UNO ... 13 GP, 10.5 mpg, 2.6 ppg and 1.5 rpg (at least he's getting off the bench 10 minutes a night!).

Out of all this, I still wish we could have signed the Peterson kid that went to Iowa. Not that this says much of anything but no one is lighting it up much outside of Psycho T and Tyus. Leuer and Lawrence might have been good additions. Kowal is posting much better numbers at Northern Illinois than he ever did at Colorado. Plackmeier, Dentmon, Tabb and Swansey all contribute. Didn't see Dixon anywhere out there.

Maguire has started all 12 games at NKU and leads the team in minutes per game at 27 and ppg at 15.0. He's also fourth in reboundinga t 4.3 per game. Outside of games against Louisville and Cincinnati, NKU has played the likes of Kentucky Wesleyan, Bellarmine, Saginaw Valley State, Urbana, University of Indianapolis and other top tier programs.

I am guessing that this Missouri S & T that Knollmeyer is at is what I used to call Missouri-Rolla, yes? I found Horace Dixon on a web page that said in 2008 he was at Angelina CC in Lufkin, Texas. It also said that he committed to Houston with a signed LOI on January 21 of 2008. But he's not on the current roster so I guess he failed to check in when the semester started. I checked the SWIC roster and saw Kenny Leverette is there. No Anthony Mitchell --- where did he end up? How about Relaphorde? Refresh my memories on them.

I harbor no ill will to any of the players above; I just think its interesting to see what others are doing elsewhere.

Relphorde is at Indian Hills Junior COLLEGE in Ottumwa, iowa. He had 9 pts last night in a win over the JUCO in the town where i live. Leon Powell had 17 pts, 9 rebounds and 3 blocked shots.

Guest BillikenReport

Another player to look up is Tony Meier at Wisconsin-Milwaukee.

He's a 6-8 freshman from Lafayette that SLU tried to get to walk on. He's having a good debut season.

Harrelson has been productive at UK also 6ppg and 4rpg in about 13 minutes is pretty damn good

Guest BillikenReport

I'll say it again, Roth and Harrelson would have made us a tourney team.

I think that's very possible.

Another player, 6-5 guard Devron Bostick, Harrellson's teammate at SWIC, should be on this list. He's contributing a little bit to Minnesota's strong start.

If he had gone to SLU, he might have been the go-to guy as a senior. He would either have started, with Lisch and Liddell and Kwamain on the bench, or been the first guard off the bench for the Billikens this season.

http://www.gophersports.com/pdf5/362447.pd...;DB_OEM_ID=8400

You can also add DePaul's 6-9 freshman Devin Hill to the list. He had SLU in his final three, along with Bradley.

If you really study the recruiting Majerus has done since he's been at SLU, he's been close with some talented kids but he's also won some battles for kids.

I've enjoyed following Terry Evans' career - he's been great for UWGB. I believe he's been named the Horizon's Defensive POY on at least one occasion.

Here's one more we missed out on:

Jacob Pullen, K-State - 14 GP, 28.1 mpg, 14.7 ppg (leading scorer), 2.7 rpg, 52 assists, 25 steals.

And Maguire's former teammate at Edwardsville:

Spencer Stewart, UIC - 13 gp, 27.3 mpg, 5.1 ppg, 3.0 rpg, 60 assists, 21 steals

Jeff Peterson would be really nice to have. Too bad Brad couldn't recruit him away from Iowa during a time at which THEY HAD NO COACH.

those numbers are skewed by some early games. Against Louisville he played about 7 minutes with 4 turnovers and no points or rebounds. why don't give it up on JH?

relax, no one's knocking anyone. Or does he have to suck because he didn't come here.

While I am sure it took some time and effort to compile that list, there isn't much to be gained from it imo.

The list compares partial season Freshman with Seniors in some cases. The biggest jump in college basketball is from year one to year two, let alone years three and four.

Also this list doesn't account for level of team play and level of competition. It also doesn't account for the fact that big men always take longer to develop than other positions.

Over a four year career some of those kids would have helped SLU a great deal. Also even some of the partial season Frosh would have had more minutes and increased stats playing out of need at SLU vs some other places.

One can also state reasonably that some players didn't turn out to be big misses. But it is highly unreasonable to downplay several kids on that list because it is the beginning half at most of their four year careers. Most kids aren't Tyler Hansbrough, that can play and contribute right away at a higher level. The norm is gettting experience, up and down, uneven Freshman and underclassmen years with higher level of play as upperclassmen with ability to develop talent and gain experience.

Some kids won't find big success elsewhere or even good, solid success, but some of those kids will be good players elsewhere too, that could or would have helped SLU.

Any thoughts you might have on whether or not Coach Majerus tried to recruit Anthony Campbell? He is a long, athletic, local kid (Edwardsville) who can play the wing and shoot lights out.

Was it more that Cassity was a better fit than Campbell? Just curious, as he seems to be having success as a freshman for Austin Peay (scored 14 at Louisville). His line is below:

CAMPBELL, Anthony

14 G, 0 GS, 18.1 MIN, .486 FG%, .487 3pt%, 3.1 Reb, 0.9 Asst, 7.6 Ppg.

He just seems like a Majerus guy...

Guest BillikenReport

Any thoughts you might have on whether or not Coach Majerus tried to recruit Anthony Campbell? He is a long, athletic, local kid (Edwardsville) who can play the wing and shoot lights out.

Was it more that Cassity was a better fit than Campbell? Just curious, as he seems to be having success as a freshman for Austin Peay (scored 14 at Louisville). His line is below:

CAMPBELL, Anthony

14 G, 0 GS, 18.1 MIN, .486 FG%, .487 3pt%, 3.1 Reb, 0.9 Asst, 7.6 Ppg.

He just seems like a Majerus guy...

Cassity was recruited after Campbell had committed to and signed with Austin Peay.

Campbell committed the summer before his senior year, probably after SLU had commitments from Thompson, Mitchell, Reed, Conklin and maybe even John.

He is very similar to Tony Meier from Lafayette, who is now doing well for Wisconsin-Milwaukee. SLU tried to get Meier to walk on, but might have offered a scholarship if they had more available at that time (this was before the four kids transferred out).