if there is a two - five way tie....

i guess the deciding factor would be the records of the teams tied of the games they played amongst each other.

http://www.conferenceusa.com/sports/mbball/tiebreakers.asp

if indeed it is a 5 team tie, depaul will win the league with a 4-1 record amongst the teams tied.

charlotte is 2-3

memphis is 2-1 right now, but they have a game to play with cincy yet. if they win that game, they likely will win the conference out right

cincy is 2-2 right now amongst the 5 teams, but they have 2 left to play with memphis and depaul. ouch!

uab is 2-2.

funny, it looks like depaul is sitting pretty good for the team that is supposed to be the league bubble team. wouldnt that be ironic. depaul wins the conference on a 5 way tie breaker but gets left out of the tourney by the committee.

Barring a loss at South Florida on Saturday, Depaul will get in. Their RPI is now 47. A win Thursday against the Bearcats would of course seal it. ESPN's Bracketology has Depaul as a 9 seed. They have 6 teams from C-USA going: Cincinnati (4), Louisville (5), Memphis (5), Charlotte (6), Depaul (9), UAB (10).

CBS Sportsline and CollegeRPI.com also gave the C-USA 6 bids. CollegeRPI also has Depaul (10) playing SIU in the first round. I realize the chances of that happening are slim, yet that would be an entertaining game.

It seems as though the media may finally be convinced that C-USA deserves six bids. Poor play by bubble teams in the Pac-10 and Big 10 help our cause too (see Purdue's 40 point loss at Wisconsin). We need to win our last two and a couple tournament games, and we should make it. And maybe, just maybe, somebody on the selection committee will pay attention. It appears as though this conference is finally getting some well deserved recognition.

someone in cusa other than the top 6 win the tourney. i think st louis or marquette both could possibly do it if the stars are aligned. the question then is do they let in 7? or does depaul or louisville get left behind?

I think if SLU or Marquette wins the tournament, Louisville may be the team left out. Yes, they have a high RPI, but the committee takes your last ten games into very strong consideration, and Lousiville may wind up under .500 if their last ten games. They would also have the worst conference record of any of the teams at-large teams.

By the way, many people don't seem to think we would get in at 20-11. That would mean we would get to the conference final and lose. What do you guys think? I was thinking even at 19-11, depending on who we beat in the Conference tourney, would put us squarely on the bubble.

i just think it will be hard for the committee, to let that many teams from cusa go as at large teams. even at 20 wins, wont there be at least 6 cusa teams with better credentials? i think we have to win the tourney. but making the finals probably at least puts us in the discussions. we have to hope for few conference tourney upsets. the automatic qualifiers need to be teams that were in regardless. a few siulike stumbles or a tourney win from the likes of ucla or iowa state would spell certain doom.

The committee swears up and down that they don't count the number of teams from a conference when determining bids.

I would think with a 19-11 record, we would be squarely on the bubble.

At 20-11, our RPI should be at leat in the 40's, and we would be 8-2 in our last ten games. I don't see how we could be left out.

The NCAA's selection criteria is provided at:

http://www.ncaasports.com/basketball/mens/story/6985142

Note the following:

I. Principles for Selecting At-Large Teams

1. The committee shall select the best available teams to fill the at-large berths, regardless of conference affiliation.

2. There is no limit on the number of teams the committee may select from one conference.

no disrespect to you david, and i would love to believe that, but dont you think that is a little bit of lip service? who knows what goes on behind closed doors in the smoke filled rooms. i sure hope you are right though. i know this, if the billikens get to 20 wins, they deserve to be in considering the final road they would have traveled to get to that.

... however the tournament plays out will affect those left behind. If as Drew says, MU or SLU wins the tournament and its automatic bid, the shakedown (or shakeOUT) affect will be felt most severly by the earliest loser. For example, if SLU finishes sixth as I think they will and MU finishes 7th or 8th, SLU would have to take out the thrid place finisher in its second game; MU would take out the second or first place finisher. If that's one of the lesser "names" in C-WHO, by that I mean UAB, RuPaul and even UofL right now, I think they go NIT March 14th.

If it is as some say, that the pundits have six C-WHO team going, I can't see the selection committee giving C-WHO a seventh just because some unknown came out of the back of the pack. If that were MU, and they beat RuPaul, I see no problems in the committee sending RuPaul packing. I beleive that someone in that 5 or 6 number at the back of the C-WHO six is going to have to be sacrificed.

And I don't believe for one moment that C-WHO is going to get six bids ... no matter how deserving I happen to believe they are. Upsets will occur in more ways than one. They always do.

To finish 19-11 or 20-11, we must beat Louisville and one or two other teams with higher RPIs than us. Those wins should give us a huge jump in the RPI. If we lose on Wednesday, this is all moot.

As someone else pointed out, it is possible that SLU and DePaul flip-flop.

however bigmac, if we win the last two games and get to the championship game of the cusa tourney, it would be at least 3 more top 100 wins (louisville and then the quarters would be vs a top 4 seed and then the semi's would probably be a top conference team as well) and our rpi would probably be in the 40's then. i think that is where david is going with this.

fyi louisville is a 17 rpi today, so i dont think they will be left out regardless. so we are back to a 7 team discussion or leaving out depaul imo.

last fyi, coach soderberg said this morning on kfns that there is no chance for frericks to play until at earliest next week. i dont like our chances without frericks.

Roy, i am not so sure Louisville is a lock. If they lose to us and then at Marquette (which is a very real possibility) they would be

2-8 in their last ten games, and 8-8 in conference. The committee would not look favorably on that at all even with their high RPI. Of course, if they win one or two games in the C-USA tourney it won't matter.