$25 a seat -- but SLU doesn't want your money

bonwich

AF, it's a shame you cannot separate the good work RM/team is doing from the poor work the athletic department is doing. I am a realist and frankly, after reading your last 50 on this topic, decided to drink half the water in the glass sitting in front of me. Not sure what that means.

RM is proven success and therefore I would not worry either if was employed by the athtletic department in that I would know that RM will be making me look good soon as well.

I don't understand why you perceives the athletic department as doing a poor job. I think they have done about as seamless a job as possible in transitioning all of the programs into a new facility. Every organization is going to have details that can be nit-picked by those not making the decisions, but I think overall they have done a real nice job since Mr. May has come on board. Give them a chance to settle into a new place; I wouldn't be surprised if they changed the ticket pricing policy to better fill the place.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I, for one, would have bought another $10 or $15 ticket to bring both kids and not just one child. At $28 though, I won't. I took one child to the Kent State game and the other child to the BC game. Last year, I would have brought both to both games. In fact, there is an empty seat next to me I'd love to buy a cheap ticket and then sit together just like we did at Savvis. The Savvis days - good and bad - are over and SLU is all about the dollar.

I can only imagine the scene at the Clock household when you have to tell little Clock that he/she can't go to the game because you only have one extra ticket and that at $15 you'd be willing to buy another ticket but at $28 you just won't do it. ;)

SLU increased season ticket sales this season.

You fail to point out that SLU is much more reliant on the money they make off ticket sales than Marquette. SLU can not afford to devalue the price of their ticket. It is better to have some seats empty now instead of devaluing the ticket price long-term. SLU can not risk devaluing their ticket price. They do not have Big East money coming in. This is not some crazy concept. It is the same reason the NFL told Jacksonville to tarp over thousands of seats instead of selling them at a price that the NFL feels that would be devaluing their product in the long-term.

You continue to compare SLU basketball to other sports and events. In the SLU basketball example, SLU has been selling their tickets at an unreasonable price to fans considering the market. What is the market?

What has SLU charged in the past for tickets?

What has SLU's recent past success been in men's basketball?

What are other "like" schools charging for their men's basketball tickets?

What is the current full entertainment value of a SLU men's basketball ticket?

SLU has not justified selling those tickets at unreasonable prices. In true supply and demand fashion, the people spoke by not coming out in expected numbers. SLU also risks its current and future fan base by drastically lowering its target audience to few demographics. It isn't good business.

You continue to compare SLU basketball to other sports and events. In the SLU basketball example, SLU has been selling their tickets at an unreasonable price to fans considering the market. What is the market?

What has SLU charged in the past for tickets?

What has SLU's recent past success been in men's basketball?

What are other "like" schools charging for their men's basketball tickets?

What is the current full entertainment value of a SLU men's basketball ticket?

SLU has not justified selling those tickets at unreasonable prices. In true supply and demand fashion, the people spoke by not coming out in expected numbers. SLU also risks its current and future fan base by drastically lowering its target audience to few demographics. It isn't good business.

Brian. Now that you are worried that a season ticket holder may have paid more for his ticket than the walk-up game day ticket holder, I am making demand upon you for the free hotdog you promised me following SLU's promotion of free hot dogs and soda to all post-seat selection day season ticket holders.

Brian. Now that you are worried that a season ticket holder may have paid more for his ticket than the walk-up game day ticket holder, I am making demand upon you for the free hotdog you promised me following SLU's promotion of free hot dogs and soda to all post-seat selection day season ticket holders.

PM before the next game. I will get take care of you.

I didn't mind giving out discounts on first time season tickets. You build your program on season ticket holders. I think it is not the smartest move to give these deep discounts to every game on an individual game basis. What is the motivation to buy season tickets now if you don't already have them and for some what will be the motivation to keep them next year. If you know you are going to be able to get tickets for less than half of what season ticket holders pay............. why purchase season tickets. This might not have been the smartest move by the athletic department.

It doesn't really upset me as a season ticket holder, but I know some that will be pissed. Pretty shortsighted if you ask me.

PM before the next game. I will get take care of you.

I didn't mind giving out discounts on first time season tickets. You build your program on season ticket holders. I think it is not the smartest move to give these deep discounts to every game on an individual game basis. What is the motivation to buy season tickets now if you don't already have them and for some what will be the motivation to keep them next year. If you know you are going to be able to get tickets for less than half of what season ticket holders pay............. why purchase season tickets. This might not have been the smartest move by the athletic department.

It doesn't really upset me as a season ticket holder, but I know some that will be pissed. Pretty shortsighted if you ask me.

IMO, SLU not only truly wishes that it was another year or two along under RM's rebuild (don't we all) but also has acted as if we actually ARE further along. No doubt, in time, RM will take us to heights we have not experienced since Easy Ed. Our program is young and improving and I believe we will be entertaining this year. Believe the number of season tickets and the number of SLU fans willing to pay annual fees (on top of near doubling of ticket prices) is an indication that most believe that bright days are truly ahead and that we need to buy now to ensure a seat in the near future.

The trouble is, of course, that our team is full of unknown freshmen and that we have yet to win. Our team/program does not warrant ticket demand of $28/game for upper level/behind the basket seats by the non-season ticketholder fan. IMO, our ticket structure is based upon the program as it will be and not where it is now. Hence, two (2) choices for SLU: 1) lower ticket prices to sell out and "reward" the casual fan while maximizing current revenue ($12/seat is more than $0/empty seat); or, 2) keep the ticket structure and not sell out until our team improves. Both options have merit. I'm just pleased that SLU opted for the former. In a few years, I really see all seats sold out to season ticket holders at $25 per seat -hence the need to keep your season tickets and not think one can continue buying $12 seats in the near future.