Semi OT: Division 1 to Division 2

As I'm sitting at my computer working on a paper for my English class, my mind began to wonder and landed on SIU-E and their transition to division 1 which led to thinking about the posters on here talking about SLU almost slipping into a DIII program back before Grawer. So I was curious how often teams do leave division 1 for division 2 and lower. Does anyone know any schools to drop divisions recently?

As I'm sitting at my computer working on a paper for my English class, my mind began to wonder and landed on SIU-E and their transition to division 1 which led to thinking about the posters on here talking about SLU almost slipping into a DIII program back before Grawer. So I was curious how often teams do leave division 1 for division 2 and lower. Does anyone know any schools to drop divisions recently?

I think Houston Baptist went from D1 to NAIA back to D1 or vice versa.

Wouldn't "vice versa" in your example be D1 to NAIA to D1? Maybe you meant NAIA to D1 to NAIA.

No, he meant they are back in D1.

State University of New York College at Oneonta has over time fallen from DI to DII and now DIII. The soccer team was the last to transition, staying DI until very recently. They just completed the transition to DIII last year. I am sure there are other examples.

There a lot of other examples of where a university play only one sport at a higher level (normally a DIII school would have one DI sports team). They are most prevalent in hockey (i.e. Colorado College, RPI, Mankato State, etc) and Lacrosse (Johns Hopkins, Hobart, etc). Sometimes this schools eventually can the top tier team and have them fall back to lower ranks (SIUE with soccer is a good example).

Believe schools have dropped certain sports programs more frequently. For instance, a school might still be Div 1 for most sports but have a football program dropping from Div 1 down to DII or DIII. Now, don't they call that Div. AA, nowadays, etc.

Speaking of DI SIU-Edwardsville, their transition is off to an inauspicious start. They lost their opener to DIII Westminster Blue Jays of the SLIAC.

And perhaps the most famous Oneonta Yankee of all time? Outfielder John Elway.

I'm guessing teams did not tag up on sac flies his way...

Oklahoma City, a former SLU opponent in the MCC, went from D-1 to the NAIA.