cbs pts per weighted shot in the a-10

i got this link at the a-10 message board. lisch is ranked fifth in the league and tommie 20th.

http://collegechalktalk.com/general/statis...hted-shot-ppws/

however, most interesting was the paragraph in the story that expanded on both tommie and kevin's dropoff last season.

i got this link at the a-10 message board. lisch is ranked fifth in the league and tommie 20th.

http://collegechalktalk.com/general/statis...hted-shot-ppws/

however, most interesting was the paragraph in the story that expanded on both tommie and kevin's dropoff last season.

That was for conference play. I was surprised that Tommie had such a drop-off in conference play from pre-season (where all the buzz was on his trouble adjusting). Here are the numbers for the full year:

PPWS

Lisch, Kevin 1.168

Liddell III, Tommie 1.040

Meyer, Luke 1.096

Brown, Danny 1.246

Eberhardt, Barry 1.043

Husak, Bryce 1.058

Eckerle, Paul 0.958

Polk, Dwayne 0.823

Danny Brown was an efficient shooter last year thanks to some nice 3-pt shooting. I don't think will have any player see significant minutes with a .823 PPWS ever again.

Why is the problem about "Tommie"? What about the "system"?

This gets back to the discussion about if RM SERIOUSLY cared about winning last year...he would've found ways to get them more involved.

A mediocre season sure makes it easier to run off about half of your remaining scholarship kids.

That was for conference play. I was surprised that Tommie had such a drop-off in conference play from pre-season (where all the buzz was on his trouble adjusting). Here are the numbers for the full year:

PPWS

Lisch, Kevin 1.168

Liddell III, Tommie 1.040

Meyer, Luke 1.096

Brown, Danny 1.246

Eberhardt, Barry 1.043

Husak, Bryce 1.058

Eckerle, Paul 0.958

Polk, Dwayne 0.823

Danny Brown was an efficient shooter last year thanks to some nice 3-pt shooting. I don't think will have any player see significant minutes with a .823 PPWS ever again.

Why is the problem about "Tommie"? What about the "system"?

This gets back to the discussion about if RM SERIOUSLY cared about winning last year...he would've found ways to get them more involved.

A mediocre season sure makes it easier to run off about half of your remaining scholarship kids.

You don't think RM "seriously" cared about winning? Maybe he has or would admit mistakes on the way he went about things, but I think it's kind of silly to assert that he didn't seriously care about wining.

I know we all expected great things from RM, but he's not perfect and probably would admit to making some mistakes re: the way he went about things during and after the season.

You don't think RM "seriously" cared about winning? Maybe he has or would admit mistakes on the way he went about things, but I think it's kind of silly to assert that he didn't seriously care about wining.

I know we all expected great things from RM, but he's not perfect and probably would admit to making some mistakes re: the way he went about things during and after the season.

At the risk of re-starting the whole discussion from last year, RM DID step up and admit some mistakes by himself last year. If I recall correctly, RM took blame after the 20 point GW debacle saying he filled their heads and implemented too much over the break. My best guess is that RM would admit that his biggest mistake last year was over-estimating both the level of talent he had on hand and their ability to comprehend and perform his system under real game pressures. If given a second chance, I believe that RM would have "watered-down" his system even a bit more to make it even easier for the team to run rather than try to implement some different type of system which may or may not have better-suited the players he had on hand.

My reasoning is that prior to the season, RM warned us that it would be a difficult year, that he might do things different if his time frame was only last year as opposed to building a program from scratch but that we would see better days in year 2. Then, half way through the season, RM said it may take an additional year - year 3. Hence, when RM saw our Bills play under the pressures of real games, he realized that some players could not be improved enough and that rebuilding the program will take longer. I believe RM had an open mind regarding all the players PRIOR to the start of the season and therefore did not intentionally mislead players, use them and cut them. Knowing this rebuilding would take longer and no good news will come soon, RM ran from microphones and will not be eager to be interviewed this year either. Got to believe that if we had won 25 games last year, RM would have been more media friendly. When RM does, in fact, win 25 games, he will no longer be afraid of being interviewed but instead will say he does not want to be bothered. IMO, the end result is that winning will not make him more accessible to us fans.

At the risk of re-starting the whole discussion from last year, RM DID step up and admit some mistakes by himself last year. If I recall correctly, RM took blame after the 20 point GW debacle saying he filled their heads and implemented too much over the break. My best guess is that RM would admit that his biggest mistake last year was over-estimating both the level of talent he had on hand and their ability to comprehend and perform his system under real game pressures. If given a second chance, I believe that RM would have "watered-down" his system even a bit more to make it even easier for the team to run rather than try to implement some different type of system which may or may not have better-suited the players he had on hand.

My reasoning is that prior to the season, RM warned us that it would be a difficult year, that he might do things different if his time frame was only last year as opposed to building a program from scratch but that we would see better days in year 2. Then, half way through the season, RM said it may take an additional year - year 3. Hence, when RM saw our Bills play under the pressures of real games, he realized that some players could not be improved enough and that rebuilding the program will take longer. I believe RM had an open mind regarding all the players PRIOR to the start of the season and therefore did not intentionally mislead players, use them and cut them. Knowing this rebuilding would take longer and no good news will come soon, RM ran from microphones and will not be eager to be interviewed this year either. Got to believe that if we had won 25 games last year, RM would have been more media friendly. When RM does, in fact, win 25 games, he will no longer be afraid of being interviewed but instead will say he does not want to be bothered. IMO, the end result is that winning will not make him more accessible to us fans.

Do you really believe he's afraid of being interviewed?

I wasn't saying he wasn't serious about winning, but I think he realized that he needed to clean house and he needed to develop the few guys he was going to keep around and if the results were mediocre, it didn't matter. It actually made it easier to justify cleaning house.

I absolutely believe he is passionate about winning with HIS guys. I would not be surprised if Kevin and Tommie were featured more this year than last. Everyone else in the A-10 thinks they are outstanding players, we might as well ride them in this their last year. Having them as featured players will also take pressure off the new guys....

"Afraid" may not be the best choice of words because I don't think RM fears what the media can do or not do to him. Instead, I don't think he really wants his name and reputation attached to guys who he believed were not up to his standards. The casual fan could see that RM was 16-15 with a team that had won 20 games the year before and think that RM has "lost it" as a head coach and should have stayed retired. RM would not have recruited any of the 4 who left and probably none of the guys who graduated. With that said, RM most likely was sincere in his statements that he was quite proud of them as people and students but not as basketball players much less as his players. Danny Brown and Luke Meyer earned his praise both as people/students and as his players. The others appeared to not have earned his praise as "his players." How many times can a proud and successful HOF coach look into the camera and/or talk into the microphone and say that things will be better in a few years but not now? Instead, he preferred to not be interviewed. Had SLU run a big-time advertising campaign last year for a team that scored only 20 points in a game and also got blown out by several other decent but not really good schools (Kent State, UD, etc.), RM would probably cringe during every commercial or at the sight of every billboard. The team was 16-15 and, if I the D-II game is not counted, then wouldn't we have been right at .500?

Instead of "afraid", maybe a better word would be that RM preferred to maintain a "low profile", or that he go relatively "un-noticed" until his guys get in. Even if our record is the same this year (and I firmly believe we will win more games), then RM will be more "proud" of his players as players as opposed to just as kids/students. No one expects 7 freshmen to make this team win 25 games. No reason to hide anymore. Let the ad campaing begin this Fall.

As to broy's intimating that RM's system was not good for TL and KL, I'll argue their dropoff was due more to IV"s departure. Everyone in the A-10 knew we had no inside game last year, so they could concentrate on shutting down two of the conference's best guards. Face it, until DB came back, we only had 3 legit D1 players on the floor. IV garnered a lot of attention which opened the opportunities for KL and TL during UB's last year. Also, TL surprised everyone that year with his accuracy from beyond the arc. He had a dropoff after people started noticing he could hit it.

As to broy's intimating that RM's system was not good for TL and KL, I'll argue their dropoff was due more to IV"s departure. Everyone in the A-10 knew we had no inside game last year, so they could concentrate on shutting down two of the conference's best guards. Face it, until DB came back, we only had 3 legit D1 players on the floor. IV garnered a lot of attention which opened the opportunities for KL and TL during UB's last year. Also, TL surprised everyone that year with his accuracy from beyond the arc. He had a dropoff after people started noticing he could hit it.

it had far more to do with the first half insistence of getting the ball to the paint instead of letting kevin and tommie play imo.