Another Article on Cotto Verbal

moytoy12

http://ilprepbullseye.com/page19.html

I found this part interesting:

"Turning back to the academic side, there is no question that Cotto still has plenty of work to do in that area. He says that he has gotten his grades in order, and while we firmly believe that is true, the big issue that still looms is Cotto's ACT score. Cotto will take the test next month. However, make no mistake about it--regardless of whether or not Cotto achieves a qualifying test score, he will undoubtedly be at St. Louis next season."

http://ilprepbullseye.com/page19.html

I found this part interesting:

"Turning back to the academic side, there is no question that Cotto still has plenty of work to do in that area. He says that he has gotten his grades in order, and while we firmly believe that is true, the big issue that still looms is Cotto's ACT score. Cotto will take the test next month. However, make no mistake about it--regardless of whether or not Cotto achieves a qualifying test score, he will undoubtedly be at St. Louis next season."

Here is the part that I liked.

Cotto becomes St. Louis' seventh recruit from the class of 2008, a class that we believe is shaping up to be the best in the Atlantic Ten Conference.

There is no such thing as the Prop 48 anymore. However, there is something very similar in its place but I can't remember what it is called.

But basically players that don't qualify can attend the school (on scholarship?) and get themselves eligible while not practicing or playing with the team. If in Cotto's case where it appears to be the ACT score that he needs to get, could he potentially continue to take the test until he gets the needed score, and then he could potentially become eligible by the start of practice or the start of the Spring semester? When I was reading through my Athlon College Basketball Preview, I came across a team that last year had a player who was going to be academically ineligible for the fall semester, so the coach just had him red-shirt the spring semester. I guess that could potentially work as well.

But basically players that don't qualify can attend the school (on scholarship?) and get themselves eligible while not practicing or playing with the team. If in Cotto's case where it appears to be the ACT score that he needs to get, could he potentially continue to take the test until he gets the needed score, and then he could potentially become eligible by the start of practice or the start of the Spring semester? When I was reading through my Athlon College Basketball Preview, I came across a team that last year had a player who was going to be academically ineligible for the fall semester, so the coach just had him red-shirt the spring semester. I guess that could potentially work as well.

My understanding of the prop 48 was that a kid had to pay his way until he was academically eligible. At 20k a semester at SLU that doesn't seem like the obvious solution and is part of the reason we haven't had a prop 48 since Justin Tatum. If anyone understands how it works with the new rule, whatever it is, that would be interesting.

Below is a summary of the new rule. It sounds like that if he meets the criteria for a partial qualifier, he can get a full-ride, practice with the team, and earn the year back if he stays on track to graduate:

Freshmen:

You are referred to as a qualifier and are eligible to practice and compete in your sport and to receive financial aid (institutional and athletically related) during your first academic year under Bylaw 14.02.9.1, if you:

· Graduate from high school;

· Attain a minimum high-school grade-point average of 2.000 in 13 or 14 core-curriculum courses as specified in Bylaw 14.3.1.1 (students first entering a collegiate institution on or after August 1, 2003, may meet either the 13 or 14 core-course standard); and

· Achieve a corresponding sum ACT or SAT score as specified in Bylaw 14.3.1.1.1.

For students certified using the 13 core-courses standard only:

You are referred to as a partial qualifier if you fail to meet the criteria for a qualifier, but have graduated from high school and achieved a minimum grade-point average of 2.525 in 13 core-curriculum courses as specified in Bylaw 14.3.1.1; and achieved a minimum corresponding sum ACT or SAT score as specified in Bylaw 14.3.2.1.

As a partial qualifier:

· You may practice during your first academic year at your institution only at the institution’s home practice facility.

· You will have three seasons of eligibility after your first academic year in residence. You may earn a fourth season of competition provided you receive a baccalaureate degree before beginning your fifth academic year of enrollment and you are within five years of your initial, full-time collegiate enrollment. [bylaw 14.3.3]

· You may not compete in your sport during your first academic year in residence; you may receive institutional financial aid, including athletically related financial aid. [bylaws 14.02.9.2 and 14.3.2.1.1]

You are referred to as a nonqualifier if you fail to meet the criteria above. In addition to being ineligible for practice and competition during the first academic year in residence, a nonqualifier is not permitted to receive any institutional financial aid, except as stated below. [bylaws 14.02.9.3 and 14.3.2.2.1]

There is no such thing as the Prop 48 anymore. However, there is something very similar in its place but I can't remember what it is called.

Justin Bocot was a prop 48 for SIU this year, so it does still exist.

Congrats on the pick up.