Bryant Allen

SShoe

Guest BillikenReport

Nate, any sense on Cotto's grades and what recruiting competition we have for the kid.

With Cotto I believe the issue is getting his test score to where he needs it.

When that happens, I could see a lot more teams trying to to recruit the kid. But I think SLU has showed him enough attention over the last month or two or so that the Billikens should be in the driver's seat. He has said he really likes Majerus and what Majerus has done in the past with his former teams and players.

- Nate

Cotto and Mitchell are both scoring point guards. There is no need to recruit the same type of player twice. I would take Allen over Cottobecause he is a better on-ball-defender and overall athlete. I think he is better at creating for his teammates. He proved himself last year by tearing up the Peach Jam and holding his own at the Jamboree. If the stats are correct, Bryant is more accurate than Cotto when shooting the 3-ball. Don't get me wrong...I think Cotto is a great player, but Bryant Allen has a higher ceiling. He'll get some high major interest before it's all said and done.

What's your point. He could afford to wait to offer. He's been to the Sweet 16 and several NCAA tournaments. He didn't offer Booker and Roundtree that early either, but he still got them. He has the luxury of waiting. The same cant be said for SLU yet. In a couple of years maybe.

Weren't Booker and Roundtree offered last pretty early?

Imagine that, V and his brother agree on who is better between Cotto and Allen.

I think another thing comes into play. Didn't Nark say that Majerus won't wait for the #1 recruit when he can get #2? Maybe that's what's happening here?

Cotto and Mitchell are both scoring point guards. There is no need to recruit the same type of player twice. I would take Allen over Cottobecause he is a better on-ball-defender and overall athlete. I think he is better at creating for his teammates. He proved himself last year by tearing up the Peach Jam and holding his own at the Jamboree. If the stats are correct, Bryant is more accurate than Cotto when shooting the 3-ball. Don't get me wrong...I think Cotto is a great player, but Bryant Allen has a higher ceiling. He'll get some high major interest before it's all said and done.

Have you seen Cotto play in person? Will Allen still get that attention after he commits to play football at Mizzou?

Have you seen Cotto play in person? Will Allen still get that attention after he commits to play football at Mizzou?

there is no way they have seen cotto play and make the definitive statements that the brothers mosby have made in this comparison.

If Cotto wants to sign, we should jump at it and not wait for the other kid who is a year younger and has football options. You can never have too many good guards and point guard has been a problem in recent years. My friend who has seen Cotto says he could play the point and the two, so there would be enough room for both Mitchell and Cotto. Let them battle it out for the starting pg job. He would provide an upgrade over Eckerle.

Guest BillikenReport

It's not an either-or situation with Cotto and Allen.

SLU would probably have room for both.

But even if they didn't, you wouldn't turn away Cotto to hope for a kid who's a year younger.

I think Cotto and K. Mitchell would compete for the point guard spot and probably split the minutes there, which would allow Kevin Lisch and Tommie Liddell to play their more familiar roles as seniors.

The following year, you could have Cotto and Mitchell starting together with one at the point and the other at the 2.

It wouldn't be a bad thing to have two quick and strong guards out there who can run the floor and shoot the ball and get to the basket.

- Nate

Thanks for the info Nate. I certainly would love to see Bryant in a SLU uniform one day, but if we get Cotto, the need for another point guard decreases dramatically. That has certainly been a glaring hole this year and people seem to forget we did pretty well with both Fish and Marque in the backcourt, who were both pgs in many ways.

Guest BillikenReport

Thanks for the info Nate. I certainly would love to see Bryant in a SLU uniform one day, but if we get Cotto, the need for another point guard decreases dramatically. That has certainly been a glaring hole this year and people seem to forget we did pretty well with both Fish and Marque in the backcourt, who were both pgs in many ways.

It also helps a lot if one or both of the guys can shoot. If you have two point guards out there who can't shoot, you're obviously going to be in trouble.

I've heard Cotto is a very good shooter. I've heard both good and bad reports about K. Mitchell's shooting.