Calling Jalen's dad

slu72

>That is my understanding, yet other posters suggest that

>SLU's standards are no different than any other

>university...thus my confusion.

We have the same acedemic standards for admitting high school basketball players as all other D1 schools but more strigent standards for JUCO transfers--i.e., we will not accept a D for the required number of credit hours to gain admission. This was the problem with Brandon Morris. The second issue with JUCOs is if they major in a course area that we do not offer. The new NCAA rule on JUCOs requires that players will have to have 40 percent of a degree from their intended school complete by the time they enroll in that school. That means a JUCO transfer has to have enough hours in an area SLU accepts as a major completed at the JUCO level (and we do not accept Ds) before he can transfer to SLU. The biggest issue here is SLU has no major physical education whereas almost all state university that compete at the D1 level do.

It is my understanding that TF had to take one or more added courses this summer to be eligible at SLU. Perhaps Mr. TF could verify this info. In the past, SLU's issues with juco's were twofold: transferable courses and transferable grades (no D's)

Thank goodness Tom was willing to take those additional courses, as SLU needs him badly this year and next.

Whether many think so or not, our standards for letting in a high school recruit are the same as any other D1 school. If I had a nickel for every implication that our "standards are higher" from Billiken fans throughout the years, I'd be more than rich. Secondly, whether fans want to acknowledge it or not, our graduation rate is not in the elite. Somebody listed in the past week (and I don't remember who it was) all the players that left and didn't graduate. Somebody commented that some of those players didn't count towards the graduation rate. Well, they DO count towards that and if you look at that, our graduation rate isn't as stellar as many claim. That being said, I am okay with all that. I really am. I could care less about graduation rates (but that's another argument - and I am not opening that can of worms!) and knowing we will allow in anyone that any other school would or can just based purely on academics alone - what's the deal then??? I understand we look at more than academics (character, ambition, etc), but for argument's sake we are right there with everybody else. So, the last thing left then is our academic tracks and programs available. I agree that we don't have sports management or P.E. or history of the cheerleader, so that can present issues in itself. But, knowing all of this, I would think we can as competitive as a lof of schools in our recruiting, so let's get to the Dance regularly and get some wins in the Big Dance regularly.

As you indicated, programs available or courses available are an issue at SLU, versus say,Illinois, where you can take a summer session course in Home Vegetable Gardening(NRES 105)to improve your gpa. A number of years ago, my son took this course and the Illini's 6-10 center was in the class as well. The mid-term exam consisted of bringing in a self-made vegetable casserole! Take a look at SLU's summer school catalog versus that of any major state university and you will see if anyone has an advantage.

That is the case with most schools. I went to JUCO my first two years of college and got Ds but gained a degree. Several colleges including SLU accepted my degree and my standing that I was a junior but would not accept the couple classes I got a D in. I had to take those over to recieve credit in my major.

then why is morris at wisc-gb and not here? my understanding we wouldnt take a "d" and they did. that sounds like higher standards to me.

the only way gpa comes in to play is if the student doesn't get an 18 on the act. my understanding of the clearinghouse rules is that if i graduated high school with a 30 on the act and a 2.0, which does happen, i am eligible. but if i graduate with a 3.9 and only a 17, i may not be eligible. i have no idea what larry hughes's gpa was, and i doubt you do either, but i do know he received an act score high enough to get him through the clearinghouse. wade, however, did not. your comparison makes no sense.