SLU vs. SIUC at the Kiel, 1991

Box and Won

Just watched it for the second time. Randomness...

I noticed that the old jerseys read "St." instead of "Saint"

I like the old royal blue and light blue color scheme - they should add the light blue back to the uni's.

I spied the Baby Billiken in the clip. Whatever happened to the Baby Billiken?

The move by Stewart at about 4:59 is pretty sweet.

Just watched it for the second time. Randomness...

I noticed that the old jerseys read "St." instead of "Saint"

I like the old royal blue and light blue color scheme - they should add the light blue back to the uni's.

I spied the Baby Billiken in the clip. Whatever happened to the Baby Billiken?

The move by Stewart at about 4:59 is pretty sweet.

I like the uniforms too, hell if we could get players like that now a days, we could probably win and more people might show up. Wasn't Orlando a great player too bad he left. Those grawer teams had so much talent. They should change the uniforms back to that color and bring back the baby billiken, but we will have to get Biondis permision first.

I like the uniforms too, hell if we could get players like that now a days, we could probably win and more people might show up. Wasn't Orlando a great player too bad he left. Those grawer teams had so much talent. They should change the uniforms back to that color and bring back the baby billiken, but we will have to get Biondis permision first.

I know the word "Saint" spelled out and the font they use are now official university athletic department policies for all teams that probably won't change anytime soon. The single royal blue on white color scheme might be included as well, but I'm not sure.

As for the baby Billiken, I don't know why we can't bring that back in some way. I like that logo a lot and his statue is outside West Pine Gym. I also really like the Billiken used in the 50s and 60s - I think it is kwyjibo who has that logo on a football helmet for his user image.

I will never forget the double overtime loss to Clarence Weatherspoon and Southern Miss. in the NIT. My ears hurt for a couple days. It is the the best basketball game I have ever seen in person. It was a great game. Southern Miss went on to win the NIT that year.

I agree Brian, in fact I will go a step further and say that this was the most exciting sporting event of any kind that I witnessed live. I was in the second row of the student section for that game.

Clarence Weatherspoon has always been one of my favorite names... that and the guy that played for Alabama in the early 90s... wait for it... it's coming to me... Corliss Williamson. Just great hardnosed ballplaying names.

Jimbo, Corliss Williamson played for Arkansas.

I agree Brian, in fact I will go a step further and say that this was the most exciting sporting event of any kind that I witnessed live. I was in the second row of the student section for that game.

People that never got to see the student section back then wouldn't regonize it. It was great for a few years back then, better than anything since. Pete Gillen still talks about it being the hardest place to play and the stuff the students would do as the opposing team had to make thier way through the student section. I had some great childhood memories watching basketball in that place.

If the Kiel was still standing, I'd be totally in favor of just building an on-campus practice facility (as our Footes mentioned in another thread) instead of an on-campus arena, provided the Kiel was renovated.

The kiel was very loud. the GA Tech comes to mind right away, and Hudson missing three dunks in a 65-62 loss.

They gave away 'Wreck Tech' t-shirts for that Georgia Tech game. I believe they were ranked #1 at the time and had both Mark Price and John Sally on that team coached by Bobby Cremins. I think we had a real shot at them until the last three minutes or so when they pulled away.

Good catch, I meant that and didn't say it.

I was a fan of his as well.

Did anyone else hear Rammer and Cusamano talking about this game yesterday? They even played a clip (audio obviously) on the air. One of them had to have seen this thread to even bring it up.

Sorry I missed that.

The discussion was about the SLU assistant looking at the monitor during the timeout to see the play that SIU was diagramming. Rammer said that when the assistant came back to the SLU huddle and told Grawer that he knew what SIU was going to do Grawer said...get out of here, I'm busy.

Interesting stuff!