Layoff

philliken

Am I crazy or has there always been a 12 day layoff before conference play (around the new year)? I remember having about a week or so off, but 12 days?....that'll be tough to come off that hangover with GW on the road.

Am I crazy or has there always been a 12 day layoff before conference play (around the new year)? I remember having about a week or so off, but 12 days?....that'll be tough to come off that hangover with GW on the road.

scheduling is tough. first, unless you want to play buy games which will kill your rpi you have to find capable higher rpi teams that want to play home and away's.

second remember we had a lame duck AD that likely wasnt real interested in slu scheduling in the summer. third, you have other coaches that i am sure soderberg had somewhat lined up games with that out of respect to their friendship to soderberg pulled away.

i am sure majerus will use his contacts in the future to bring unbelievable matchups to chaifetz. but those things dont happen over night. and that also may have led to problems as teams that majerus wants to do home and away's with probably didnt have late december early january openings to begin those series of games this season.

last, it was my understanding there was some confusion on exactly when the a-10 games would begin. and days were purposely held open that the billikens didnt have to. once it was known those days could be used for non-conference tilts, it was too late.

scheduling is tough. first, unless you want to play buy games which will kill your rpi you have to find capable higher rpi teams that want to play home and away's.

second remember we had a lame duck AD that likely wasnt real interested in slu scheduling in the summer. third, you have other coaches that i am sure soderberg had somewhat lined up games with that out of respect to their friendship to soderberg pulled away.

i am sure majerus will use his contacts in the future to bring unbelievable matchups to chaifetz. but those things dont happen over night. and that also may have led to problems as teams that majerus wants to do home and away's with probably didnt have late december early january openings to begin those series of games this season.

last, it was my understanding there was some confusion on exactly when the a-10 games would begin. and days were purposely held open that the billikens didnt have to. once it was known those days could be used for non-conference tilts, it was too late.

Interesting to see if this works as a advantage or disadvantage. If you have players nursing injuries it certainly can help. Also, we will 10 or so games under the teams belt by that time, I am sure RM will make good use of that time in practice and prepping for conference play.

I used to recall Duke used to have this long layoff with time off for exams and holidays and come into ACC play with a vengeance.

Roy. You are being kind. I cannot say Brad had certain games lined up up or not. Also, agree that CL probably lacked interest scheduling basketball games as well. With that said, cannot really give either Brad or CL the benefit of the doubt. Aside from NC and Gonzaga in recent years, Brad and CL really didn't schedule very well. Also, maybe I am naive, but I would certainly think your schedule should have been further along than it was in March, 2007. Remember Houston (home and away) last year. Embarassing.

Roy. You are being kind. I cannot say Brad had certain games lined up up or not. Also, agree that CL probably lacked interest scheduling basketball games as well. With that said, cannot really give either Brad or CL the benefit of the doubt. Aside from NC and Gonzaga in recent years, Brad and CL really didn't schedule very well. Also, maybe I am naive, but I would certainly think your schedule should have been further along than it was in March, 2007. Remember Houston (home and away) last year. Embarassing.

It is my understanding that the schedule was basically complete, but RM changed it. He dropped some games that were scheduled for buy games at home. He wanted to soften the schedule, while he's trying to implement his system. I'm told this is very normal for a new coach, if they're able to have the money for the buy games.

This is a long layoff that I noticed when the schedule was released. I think all the things factoring into this happening have been covered. It would shock me if we ever had a period of nearly two weeks without a game while Majerus was here.