Willie Reed commits

Guest BillikenReport

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest BillikenReport

The story hasn't popped up on the site yet.

The commitment is by Willie Reed, the big man out of the Kansas City area.

The story is by Dave Telep.

- Nate

Guest BillikenReport

This is a great pickup for the Billikens.

Willie Reed visited last week for the second time.

The first time he made an unofficial visit to SLU with his AAU coach and some of his team members. Last week, he visited with his father. That tells you he was very interested.

I thought Matt Roth might be the next to commit, but I was wrong. I guess he could be next.

What you could have here now is a couple kids pushing up their timetables for making commitments. The two big guys are committed. Maybe Roth is next.

If that happens, guys like Suggs, Mitchell and Perry are going to feel more pressure to go ahead and commit sooner rather than later and possibly losing out on the opportunity if those other scholarships are filled.

Telep's story has Reed listed at 6-9, but Reed told me he's 6-11 and still growing. There's the possibility he and Brett Thompson could both be 7-footers by the time they get to campus. That will be tough to deal with in the Atlantic 10 for four years.

Reed also picked SLU over Missouri and interest from several other programs, both mid-major types and Big 12/Big Ten types. But Reed is definitely a sleeper, because he's grown a couple inches every year and he's still under 200 pounds.

I get the feeling Reed likes to play inside-out, which should work well with Thompson.

If the Billikens can get a commitment from Roth, those three guys could do a good job stretching out the defense. With Roth on the perimeter, the big guys would have room inside. If Roth and one of the big guys is away from the basket, it would open space for the other big guy inside.

Big pickup.

- Nate

Guest BillikenReport

>I like that. I guess this means the ship has sailed on

>Brandenburg. Hope he enjoys his college career outside of

>the area.

The new staff, to the best of my knowledge, did not offer John Brandenburg a scholarship.

Last time I spoke with him, JB expressed interest in the Billikens. But apparently after that he reconsidered and decided he wasn't that interested in staying in St. Louis.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in warmer climates, though I think he likes Wisconsin as well.

- Nate

>>If that happens, guys like Suggs, Mitchell and Perry are going to feel more pressure to go ahead and commit sooner rather than later and possibly losing out on the opportunity if those other scholarships are filled.

Telep's story has Reed listed at 6-9, but Reed told me he's 6-11 and still growing.<<

Love these early commits. Good point on the domino effect. Another thing I like about Reed is that he is from the KC area ... extends our recruiting range.

Guest BillikenReport

>Wisconson is the front runner now and OJ's post earlier kind

>of leaves that impression too.

OJ's earlier post could also refer to DeSmet's 6-foot-4, 220-pound wide receiver Wes Kemp committing to Wisconsin yesterday.

But Kemp and JB are friends, so you never know.

- Nate

Wow, he said he's never been more sure of anything in his life. It was mentioned in the old article that he has grown to 6'11. Hopefully he can retool his body like Thompson did. Wow, two 6'11 guys in a month and a half on the job, both local. Majerus is doing his thing. This is an area that you can really clean up on. I'm glad Majerus is closing down the boundaries. Suggs, Roth, and Mitchell would fill out the class nicely.

2009 Roster:

Thompson - 7'0"

Reed - 7'0"

Knollmeyer - 6'9"

Relphorde - 6'7"

Suggs - 6'6"

Eberhardt - 6'6"

Liddell - 6'5"

A. Mitchell - 6'4"

Maguire - 6'4"

Roth - 6'3"

Lisch - 6'2"

Eckerle - 6'1"

K. Mitchell - 6'0"

Missing anybody? Sounds like a plan to me! Sounds like 25+ wins, actually... Come on Majerus! :)

>This is a great pickup for the Billikens.

>

>Willie Reed visited last week for the second time.

>

>The first time he made an unofficial visit to SLU with his

>AAU coach and some of his team members. Last week, he

>visited with his father. That tells you he was very

>interested.

>

>I thought Matt Roth might be the next to commit, but I was

>wrong. I guess he could be next.

>

>What you could have here now is a couple kids pushing up

>their timetables for making commitments. The two big guys

>are committed. Maybe Roth is next.

>

>If that happens, guys like Suggs, Mitchell and Perry are

>going to feel more pressure to go ahead and commit sooner

>rather than later and possibly losing out on the opportunity

>if those other scholarships are filled.

>

>Telep's story has Reed listed at 6-9, but Reed told me he's

>6-11 and still growing. There's the possibility he and Brett

>Thompson could both be 7-footers by the time they get to

>campus. That will be tough to deal with in the Atlantic 10

>for four years.

>

>Reed also picked SLU over Missouri and interest from several

>other programs, both mid-major types and Big 12/Big Ten

>types. But Reed is definitely a sleeper, because he's grown

>a couple inches every year and he's still under 200 pounds.

>

>I get the feeling Reed likes to play inside-out, which

>should work well with Thompson.

>

>If the Billikens can get a commitment from Roth, those three

>guys could do a good job stretching out the defense. With

>Roth on the perimeter, the big guys would have room inside.

>If Roth and one of the big guys is away from the basket, it

>would open space for the other big guy inside.

>

>Big pickup.

>

>- Nate

Thanks Nate. So much for the myth that we can't beat the almight BCS schools for recruits. First Thompson, now Reed. Way to go Ricky!

>I don't think anyone thinks of Shawnee Mission, KS as local

>V.

He's from Missouri, he transferred to Shawnee Mission last year. Relaford did the same thing a year earlier, but they are Missouri products up until recently. He started his career at Hickman Mills HS in Missouri near Columbia, a big reason why he was seriously considering Mizzou. Surprised Majerus was able to get this commitment over Anderson, especially with Anderson's style suiting Reed so perfectly. Anderson employs the lighter big man that can run. That sounds like Reed. Great pickup for SLU. Two 6'11 guys in the same class. Lisch and Liddell will have some interior help their senior year.

Guest BillikenReport

>He's from Missouri, he transferred to Shawnee Mission last

>year. Relaford did the same thing a year earlier, but they

>are Missouri products up until recently. He started his

>career at Hickman Mills HS in Missouri near Columbia, a big

>reason why he was seriously considering Mizzou.

Hickman Mills is in the KC area.

Hickman is a school in Columbia.

- Nate

You're right, I was thinking of Hickman. Still, its a Missouri school and closer than Shawnee Mission KS, which is a totally different state. Missouri products are local because they are in-state. If there is a big-time state product, SLU should be in on them, Mizzou probably is, therefore they are local.

It is local. Its in-state. Missouri is in on all the top state prospects, and SLU should be too. SLU should be competing for all in-state prospects and yes in-state is local. I consider Adam Knollmeyer local. I consider Brett Thompson local, and I would consider Matt Roth local. Its good to see SLU establishing in-roads in Illinois and KC.