Mizzery, boobs, and Billikens

slu72

What is the connection? I'm the first one to laugh and crow about all of Mizzrey's problems both on and off the court. But it does seem we are going overboard at this time. From a Mizzery fan's POV, I can see where they think we are obsessed with the Ostriches. Let's give it a break. It looks like we're in denial over our bad road trip.

JJackson's boobs. I'm not a stuffed shirt and am as interested in a free shot as the next guy, but what the hell's this got to do with the Billikens losing 2of2 on the road and sinking into hoops oblivion?

Let's give it a breast...oops, meant rest.

Billikens-am really interested in what is up with JJ's and DC's lack of playing time? As you watch hoops around the country you see a fair amount of Frosh getting playing time...ours just sit...and sit....and sit...etc. Are they more stupid, lazier, that less talented than other freshman? I know what the answers going to be....bad practice players. I don't buy it.

This year. I don't think we can write it off, but it's looking darker as we move on. We have definitely got to pull out some road wins now. If not, we're only going if we win the CUSA tourney-no easy task.

Lidell news is very distressing. Face it, it was a good incoming class but if TL isn't registering for classes at SLU next September, well, you don't even like to think about it. No slam on Polk and Meyer, but TL was the gem. What was the deal with Marquette and Wade? Wasn't he a pq and attended classes at MU for a year? Could he practice with the team that year? If so, let's give TL this option rather than an east coast prep school or JUCO. We may never see him again. Also does anyone in the know think McKinney might transfer to SLU given what has to be a living hell for him right now? That would ease some of the pain, but of course, we'd have to wait a year. Unless Mizzery gets double secret probation and the players get a Baylor pass.

Why can't we get a PF? I watched the South Carolina-Mississippi game on Saturday. Ole Miss had a PF that was unbelievable. Unstoppable. They have to be out there, c'mon UB land one.

slu72said, "What was the deal with Marquette and Wade? Wasn't he a pq and attended classes at MU for a year? Could he practice with the team that year? If so, let's give TL this option rather than an east coast prep school or JUCO."

he has to either qualify gpa wise or act wise to become a partial qualifier and then be a wadelike practice player for one year. otherwise he is out.

"As you watch hoops around the country you see a fair amount of Frosh getting playing time...ours just sit...and sit....and sit...etc."

Let's do a quick recap of some of the seasons freshmen from the Missouri region are having.

Anthony Tolliver, Creighton 6.4 mpg 1.0 ppg

Tim Blackwell, Creighton 8 mpg 3.0 ppg before injury

Randal Falker, SIU redshirt

Jamal Foster, SIU redshirt

Jamal Tatum, 21.6 mpg 7.6 ppg

Sky Frazier, SMS redshirt

Blake Ahearn, SMS 23.5 mpg 11.2 ppg

Spencer Laurie, Missouri 8.7 mpg 0.3 ppg

Lance Harris, Kansas St. 10 mpg 2.7 ppg

It's fairly common for unranked freshmen to be non-factors their first season. In fact, it's the norm.

I'd be interested in knowing if they changed the terminology from Prop 48 to partial qualifier, as we have had Prop 48's in the past at SLU. My recall on our past Prop 48's...had to sit out and lost a year of eligibility. Another problem was that I also seem to recall a Prop 48 had to pay their own way that 1st year...quite a lot of cash to come up with for a year at SLU, what is a year at SLU undergrad cost these days?

Does anyone know if these rules are the same for partial qualifiers, or have they changed? Also, does anyone have a clue on what it would take grade wise for someone to be declared a partial qualifier...in other words, if TL has a C average and does not have the ACT/SAT score needed, would he be granted partial qualifier status at SLU?

The 6 guys who didn't redshirt are averaging 12.2 mpg. Ours over the last 7-8 games are averaging a little more than zip. If DC wasn't ready why didn't he redshirt? Not sure we could have done that with JJ since he's a transfer who did practice last year, which should give him a leg up on most other freshman. I don't want to sound like I'm thinking we wasted scholies here, but I think we were all expecting a little more contibution from these guys. Hell, Spencer Laurie's averaging more time and he's with a pro team.

I guess what I don't understand is why Ian is getting good minutes while JJ and Darren sit. Is he really that much better at this point? i have not had an opportunity to watch him play, but from what I have heard, he's kinda slow, hesitant on defense, and still letting his coordination catch up with his size. Am I wrong?

If not, then why isn't JJ playing? Almost every game he's played in, he scores. He is tall and athletic. I understand Brad's practice theory, but i am having trouble understanding why Ian comes in and gets good minutes why JJ and DC are riding the pine.

the rumor i heard is that even with the extra effort over the summer there is a good (good means bad here :-( ) that tommie's east side grades will not be deemed good enough to be a partial qualifier. i would think of the two, gpa or act, that the gpa is still his best chance at being a partial qualifier though. just purely a guess on my part.

3 star said, "It's fairly common for unranked freshmen to be non-factors their first season. In fact, it's the norm."

especially in the top 8 conferences.

the only games ian has gotten "good minutes" are the ones that frericks is in foul trouble. otherwise he gets single digit minutes at best.

It is my understanding that partial qualifiers, unlike Prop 48s, (i) don't have to pay their own way, (ii) can practice with the team during their first year, and (iii) can earn a year of eligibility back if they are on track to graduate in four years. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

>3 star said, "It's fairly common for unranked freshmen to be

>non-factors their first season. In fact, it's the norm."

>

>especially in the top 8 conferences.

You both are correct. Look at Marquette's 3 frosh. Mason, who was a top 35 player, didn't really start producing and getting serious minutes until the conference season. The other 2, Christian and Bell (both in the 100-125 range, same with Clarke) are not getting off the bench but for a minute here or there.

Sean Dockery was a McDonald's AA but rode the bench at Duke as a freshman. It happens.

There are 2 ways of looking at it when it comes to freshmen minutes. If you have a stud frosh he'll eventually earn the minutes (unless he's a Carmelo type who is just that damn good); or if they are playing significant minutes its because there is nobody good enough in front of them and the season may be a loss.

To quote Al McGuire, the best thing about freshmen is that they become sophomores.